DODGE RAM FORUM banner

$800 Oil Change?

3K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  Cammin Hemi 
#1 ·
Went in to the dealership for my oil change on Saturday at ~75k miles (dealership does the oil changes because I got the truck there used and it has a lifetime powertrain warranty as long as I have them do maintenance). Guy comes out and gives me a list of stuff they're "recommending" that comes out to over $800. I don't have the list with me, but I'll give it a shot:
Oil Change - free (I had 4 changes prepaid)
Diff fluid change - $200
Fuel system flush - $200
Tune up - $400
Tire rotation - $20

I went ahead and had them do the diffs and rotate the tires, but hold off on the other two. He said the tune up is so expensive because they have to take out the fender liners to get the sparkplugs changed?

I need to check my paperwork from when I bought the truck, but I think the only maintenance I had to have them do was oil changes and transmission flush. If that's the case, do I really need a tune up and fuel system cleaned out?

#2 ·
* Tire rotation - legit
* Diffs - legit but outrageously expensive
* Tune up - on a modern vehicle this is just spark plugs. I think your year called for 32,000 mile spark plug replacement. If you haven't done them in 32,000 miles it's legit yet again, really, really expensive.
* Fuel System Flush - pure snake oil! Run a bottle of Techron in your next tank of gas if you want.

I'm surprised they didn't recommend doing the transfer case.

It's is why I do my own work. It would probably cost me $45 to do the diffs, maybe $60 or $80 for the plugs, etc. And I get to spend some quality time with my truck and make sure the job is done right.

#3 ·
If you have to follow their recommended maintenance and pay those prices for it, that powertrain warranty will quickly become useless to you. At that rate, you will end up paying dearly for it.

#4 ·
No! They don't have to take out the fender liners to do a tune up. If the truck is running fine and isn't using any extra gas I might go a little farther on the tune up. The plugs that I have seen didn't look bad when changed at the 30k mark but that is up to you.

It is a little pricey, but it is a dealer and they tend to be higher. If you are going to pay that much I would try to get them to knock off the price for the tire rotation at least.

#5 ·
When I got the truck it already had 50-somethin thousand miles on it so I can't say if the plugs were already changed once. If I don't "have" to have them do it, I will check a few of the local shops and see what they would charge. Knowing they don't actually have to do anything to the fenders is good to know.

Going to them for oil changes actually isn't too bad. I've been getting pre-purchased contracts of 4 changes for $80 so it comes out to $20 per. I could do it a little cheaper myself, but I'm not going to complain when that gets me a lifetime warranty.

#6 ·
Holy cow, 200 bucks for the diffs? That is seriously ridiculous...

#7 ·
You should really think about doing all that yourself. Buy the Mopar fluids, 16 Champion plugs= $32 or so. Buy whatever tools that you need, torque wrench, some jack stands, a car/truck jack, etc. Plugs should take no more than 2 hours. Differentials are very easy, 30 min tops. Take the money that you saved, buy yourself something nice!:smileup: One tip: Gap the Champion plugs to .40 or even .35 and they will last 100,000 miles. You don't need to remove fender liners, maybe on a Chevy, not on a hemi.

#14 ·
Only ford engineers... Haha
On the other hand, these cabs are designed to be removed and they are relatively easy to remove.

#18 ·
The fuel system flush is a total waste of money. As someone else said if you want to clean it just buy a bottle of Techron fuel additive and it will do the same thing.

Diff fluid changes? hmmm I have 140k miles on my 2001 dodge diesel and i have never changed the fluids so maybe I'm not the best one to comment on routine maintenance!

#21 ·
They are all needed but the fuel flush I think is just a money maker for them. You should negotiate the price with them just like the purchase price. They want the work. I have never paid the price first given.

#22 ·
^^^ great advice and so true, I dont use the dealer often but NEVER pay full price.. All pricing is negotiable

#23 ·
Dealer here wanted 340.00 for an oil pan, I got one from Summit delivered to the door for 123.00. Dealer wanted 130.00 for plugs I got them from Rock Auto for 85.00. Hard to believe I can buy cheaper in the US including shipping than what I can buy here. Dealer also wanted 600.00 to put the oil pan on but my garage did it for 365.00. Just goes to show that with a little time and searching you can save a lot of money. The plugs I'll do myself.

#24 ·
Just go by the manual. I was told my last service at 24000 I think dodge recommends diff service, but I don't go off road or use it as a taxi or police service, or tow that much, so it doesn't have to be done. Pull the manual and make them prove every service they want to push.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.