DODGE RAM FORUM banner

DiabloSport Trinity T-1000 Programmer

17K views 59 replies 29 participants last post by  SK-Ram 
#1 ·
Any one install one of these on a 2013 Ram 1500 hemi 5.7?

It has great feedback reviews online. I have an air intake that I am upgrading to soon and I am also interested in purchasing the upgraded Mopar muffler and exhaust and I think this will be a wonderful addition.

My question is, since it is all dependent on vehicles mod's and abilities, they can not provide what the upgrade in HP will be. Is there anyway that I can do a test check before and after install to find out what my increase in HP is for all these installs?

Honestly I know the air intake will be about 20hp and I am assuming the muffler will increase the flow and help with that as well, but not certain what the HP will be, and then the Trinity install I am most interested in what the increase in HP will be.

Is this possible to figure out?

#4 · (Edited)
Unfortunately the advertising materials for performance air intakes tend to be...optimistic. I've had vehicles that really benefited from these but that was because the factory air intakes were ridiculously restrictive, which doesn't appear to be the case with late model Rams.

This isn't to say they are a complete waste, though. Some of them sound really cool and they can definitely dress up an engine. But IMHO any performance gain you'd get from a cold air intake on a 2013 Ram would either be very slight or imagined because you are expecting to feel a difference.

#6 ·
Hi Nicole. This is great post. I too am sitting on the fence debating tuners.

I suspect that the reason they don't really push the hp/tq numbers is that they do indeed vary with associated mods. And obviously which fuel you are going to run etc.

There are additional benefits aside from hp/tq though that are worthy of consideration. The torque management adjustment that Metal referenced is a huge plus. My 13 Express is literally backstroking in torque management. Traction control delete - another big plus. The trucks will usually then spin the tires from a dig with this off. Plus the ignition and fuel curves are improved and written with performance in mind. They also straighten up the soggy shifting of these 6 speed trannys. AC comp off at WOT. So hammer down, no AC comp to drain power.

Historically we/ I used B&G Chrysler which has now merged with Arrington Performance. I talked to them last week and while they offer a cam head tune combo for our '13's - they are not offering just a straight performance tune yet at this time. This was last Thursday. So I, like you, are looking at these Intune tuners.

What concerns me the most is - you can go to any Mopar forum and find literally hundreds of posts from people having problems with these hand held tuners. "I tuned my truck and now it backfires?" That kind of stuff.

Oh and also - I got the Varaam intake that boasts 30hp/30tq. I feel nothing from it. Zero. No improvement. I had the 87 mm TB which incidentally doesn't measure 87 mm anywhere on it, not even on the outside. A little improvement. Switched to a Fastman hand ported & half shafted TB - much better response. But I couldn't image that both of those mods added more than 5 or 7 hp total. If that.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

#7 ·
Hi Nicole, I went through all this with my SRT Charger. I found the programmer (I used the Diablosport) gave me the most gains. I also installed the Airraid CAI and installed the Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust. I do believe the CAI helps when used with the programmer. But I did notice the biggest improvment when I installed the programmer. I tuned it to my liking and made some shift changes as well. Car really performs great now. Hope this helps a bit.

#10 · (Edited)
If you're on the fence about a Vararam you need to get off the fence and get one. For one thing, they are guaranteed, so Saltillo you need to return it for a refund. I tested mine before and after install. 0-60 before on three runs avg. 6.82 sec. after install 6.38. In the 1/4 mile I went from a 14.95 to a 14.71 at 2300' DA. Truck is '13 Express 4X2 with 3.55 gears. They also look awesome.

#13 ·
When somebody can post some before/after Dyno runs I'll believe that these tuners add HP. Until then I'm going to stick to my guns and say they will add next to nothing unless you drop some serious $$$ in the motor.

Years ago, Yes I believe they were a benefit but not in today's vehicles (unless you do some serious motor mods)

#34 · (Edited)
I haven't done one to the Ram, but back in the day I modified a Buick Regal GS pretty heavily. I will stand by and say there was a significant gain from having a custom tune done on it. Stock tunes are notoriously restrictive.

The dyno said I gained HP and tq, about 5% hp and 7% tq I believe, but the biggest gain was made in fuel mapping. The stock program uses average fuel curves from a test motor. And I'm sure you're aware that no 2 motors are identical, a custom tune really woke the motor up on the higher RPM end and at cruise. I was still pulling 30+ mpg out of the regal on the highway (when I could keep my foot out of it) and the final dyno numbers I had after the supercharger,and the porting and head work were in the mid 300's

Torque management removal from tuners really adds to the seat of the pants feel as the power is not pulled nearly as much as you row through the gears. In the push for super silky soft nearly invisible shifting patterns, tq management is the primary method. The downside from removing too much management is that your shifts (at least on mine) really tightened up. They definitely went "bump" when I was on the throttle. with a relaxed pose not as much, but still much firmer than before. they were never as "invisible" as they were stock.

but your still right on in the mod department. the single biggest gains I ever made on that motor (other than the forced induction) was when I tore it down and ported/polished everything. and replaced the stock exhaust manifold. I was amazed at how many casting flaws and sharp corners there were in there. That single job improved the effectiveness of everything else I added on later.

#15 ·
I'd like to know what our trucks feel like with the torque management off. These things have so much more power to give! Unless I pay off my truck though I'm not getting a tuner. I want my factory warranty to last(I know how my luck would be).
Yep me too. New truck with a new warranty, got to wait it out.

#16 ·
I got the T-1000 with the 91 canned tune installed on my '13 sport hemi 4x4 and love it. I was able to recall my speedo for my 35" m/t's. You DEFINATELY feel a difference with the tune installed. The shifts are waaay smoother and it feels like its got a little extra oomf off the line. I added 20% throttle boost as well (a setting in the tuner) there are many things you can do with it too, one of which is uploading custom tunes (i.e. from Hemifever). I also got a bit of fuel economy back. This past weekend, we went to a wedding about 2 hours north of where I live, and the trip up, I got 12.7L/100km (or approx 18.5mpg) which was mostly uphill, and on the way back home, I got 12.3L/100km (19.1mpg)

I have a RCX level kit, with 35x12.5x18 Toyo M/T's

Also, as far as the warranty goes, I have been to the dealer twice since I have had the tuner, and they have no clue. They have updated software, etc, and have said nothing. Just have to make sure that you return to stock before going. Which takes only a few mins.

This tuner is well worth its weight in Gold.

just my 2 cents though.

#20 ·
Hi everyone,
Thank you all for the replies!!! This seems to me that this is either a definite yes or no decision for everyone and there is no grey lines or people in the middle of the fence!

I have just put my air intake on. I would like to tell you all what I personally feel hear and see. The old air intake, it was very "sluggish" I would put my foot to the pedal and only after it reached a higher speed then it would take off like a bat out of hell. SO with this Mopar air intake now that it is installed, I no longer have a sluggish take off, I take off when I say to go, it goes!!! The sound, OMG- I love it. It is a deeper throaty throttle sound and I am impressed with just the air intake, this makes me that much more excited to get the bigger muffler and put it on as well!!!! I think I will just sit in the yard and listen to my lion purr at that point!!!

Ok now on to the trinity computer chip. I was at Chrystler, I asked them if I had to purchase this through them and have them install as it is 2013 and I have a 5 yr 100k warranty that I am feeling like if I do anything I have to ask mom and dad or my warranty will expire. So I asked. It was 9am, this guy behind the parts counter come unglued and yelled at me like 5 loud sentences that my warranty will expire and I am not allowed through Chrystler to do this at ALL!!! I told him, I came to talk, so if he can't talk then I will leave! What a butt munch. Anyways, my current decision is to stay away from the computer chip, even tho I want one really bad. So I got on AutoAnything chat and I asked the person in chat why Chrystler said this to me and this is the response I got from it, mind you, please reply at will everyone what your take and thinking is on this, because I am still on the fence about the computer chip even tho I want one REALLY BAD. Here is the conversation:

[nicole] Since my truck is a 2013 and I have a 5 year 100k warranty Chrystler dealership told me if I put in a computer chip it will discontinue my warranty completely. Can you please explain why they would say this?
[Abraham U] Welcome to AutoAnything. My name is Abraham U.
[Abraham U] Hello Nicole. That is not true, just a way of getting you to avoid using aftermarket products.
[Abraham U] The tuner if custom made for your vehicle should have no adverse effect.
[Abraham U] Also , you can remove the tune and it will not leave any trace that it was there when you take it to the dealership.
[Abraham U] Also, with current legislation you are covered!
[Abraham U] Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - (US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312):
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to a failure in the vehicle.

*Note: If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov.

#23 ·
Hi everyone,
Thank you all for the replies!!! This seems to me that this is either a definite yes or no decision for everyone and there is no grey lines or people in the middle of the fence!

I have just put my air intake on. I would like to tell you all what I personally feel hear and see. The old air intake, it was very "sluggish" I would put my foot to the pedal and only after it reached a higher speed then it would take off like a bat out of hell. SO with this Mopar air intake now that it is installed, I no longer have a sluggish take off, I take off when I say to go, it goes!!! The sound, OMG- I love it. It is a deeper throaty throttle sound and I am impressed with just the air intake, this makes me that much more excited to get the bigger muffler and put it on as well!!!! I think I will just sit in the yard and listen to my lion purr at that point!!!

Ok now on to the trinity computer chip. I was at Chrystler, I asked them if I had to purchase this through them and have them install as it is 2013 and I have a 5 yr 100k warranty that I am feeling like if I do anything I have to ask mom and dad or my warranty will expire. So I asked. It was 9am, this guy behind the parts counter come unglued and yelled at me like 5 loud sentences that my warranty will expire and I am not allowed through Chrystler to do this at ALL!!! I told him, I came to talk, so if he can't talk then I will leave! What a butt munch. Anyways, my current decision is to stay away from the computer chip, even tho I want one really bad. So I got on AutoAnything chat and I asked the person in chat why Chrystler said this to me and this is the response I got from it, mind you, please reply at will everyone what your take and thinking is on this, because I am still on the fence about the computer chip even tho I want one REALLY BAD. Here is the conversation:

[nicole] Since my truck is a 2013 and I have a 5 year 100k warranty Chrystler dealership told me if I put in a computer chip it will discontinue my warranty completely. Can you please explain why they would say this?
[Abraham U] Welcome to AutoAnything. My name is Abraham U.
[Abraham U] Hello Nicole. That is not true, just a way of getting you to avoid using aftermarket products.
[Abraham U] The tuner if custom made for your vehicle should have no adverse effect.
[Abraham U] Also , you can remove the tune and it will not leave any trace that it was there when you take it to the dealership.
[Abraham U] Also, with current legislation you are covered!
[Abraham U] Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - (US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312):
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to a failure in the vehicle.

*Note: If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov.

I want one to but it does leave a flash count in the computer, and the trinity t-1000 has no torque managment options. I'm still thinking about getting one but i think i will wait on the Superchips. I was told it has better tranny tuning. We will see:wow:

#22 ·
Hi Nicole, pretty much everything abraham said is true BUT, chrysler can and will void your warranty if they find out you've had a tuner on it. Yes it is against the moss-magnuson act but then you'd have to fight that out in court, chrysler has a staff of lawyers so they are betting that you will not go that route.

Having said that, YES get the trinnity tuner, it's a nice piece of equipment. Just make sure that you uninstall the tune prior to going to the dealer and you'll be fine, well as long as your not installing and uninstalling the tune all the time since it does leave a count in the computer as to how many times the computer has been flashed (that's the only footprint it leaves).

I'd also go to another dealership, they sound like real ass hats!

#24 ·
I love my tuner! But as mentionned, you have to make damn sure that you uninstall the tune before your dealer visit. And as also mentionned, they can only refuse to warranty anything that is directly affected by the tuner. For example, your front shocks blow, or something like that. It has nothing to do with the tuner!

I debated back and forth with myself about getting this tuner, and I'm glad I did. Honestly, I dont plug it in and use the monitoring too often, but if I want to, its there. It was worth it for me.

#25 ·
Thank you all for the clarity in this situation. I will do all my upgrades and lastly put on the chip, and taking it off prior to any dealership meetings. I appreciate all your help, thoughts, input, experience on this and I am happy that I am part of this forum to be able to inquire and get good feedback to make a solid decision. Thank you all.

#26 ·
Thanks MIKEYSOTP!!! Seriously? LMAO - Maybe I should change the air in my bedliner while I am at it, then I can get new crap radar readings on the blinker fluid and the air bed liner. It might come in handy when I have to come to a complete stop and all the crap floats to the front of the crew cab, but maybe the new air intake will filter out all that and my lead foot will push past all the bad gas and the throttle will not choke on any peanuts left over from the unfiltered crap in the tank.

#29 ·
Any one install one of these on a 2013 Ram 1500 hemi 5.7?

It has great feedback reviews online. I have an air intake that I am upgrading to soon and I am also interested in purchasing the upgraded Mopar muffler and exhaust and I think this will be a wonderful addition.

My question is, since it is all dependent on vehicles mod's and abilities, they can not provide what the upgrade in HP will be. Is there anyway that I can do a test check before and after install to find out what my increase in HP is for all these installs?

Honestly I know the air intake will be about 20hp and I am assuming the muffler will increase the flow and help with that as well, but not certain what the HP will be, and then the Trinity install I am most interested in what the increase in HP will be.

Is this possible to figure out?
You should get a Catchcan first thing, highly recomended:smiley_thumbs_up:

#31 ·
I thought everyone knew stickers add 5 hp a piece.

Why do you guys go to the dealership? My truck hasn't seen a dealership since it drove off the lot when I bought it. I change my own oil, and do my own maintenance (brakes, filters, belts, hoses). If I need tires, I'm going to go local like Big O, Discount, Goodyear store, etc. I have no need to go to my local Dodge dealer unless my tranny or engine blows during the warranty period.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.