DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need some help with 5.9/tranny question swaping...into jeep :)

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  peej03 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, so this might be an odd question. But I figure why keep asking all the jeep guys when I could come straight to the dodge guys. Please correct me if this is in the wrong section, just seemed like the best place to put it.

So basically, I am putting a 5.9 magnum into my 03 jeep tj. I plan on figuring out what I need by december and start collecting the parts, with the goal of having everything I need cleaned up (rebuilt if needed) and sitting in my garage by the start of summer. Although if any deals pop up in the meantime I will try and snag them.

I am debating on three transmissions, the NV3550 (jeep wrangler tranny because I know it fits) NV3500 (Good chance of being bolted on already out of the donor), or NV4500 (Do I really need to explain? lol 5.61 first gear and bulletproof rep).

Now I am leaning towards the NV4500, is this a transmission that is commonly found on the 5.9? Or if I have to get them seperate will it be easy to come across a clutch/fly wheel/bellhousing to mate the two?

Also, I would like to keep it a five speed, my jeep is an 03. I heard someone saying that in 02 they started making dodge's all six speeds?? So if this is true, and I need to keep the donor block the same year. Will it work out okay to mate a 03 engine with an older transmission? What years do you guys think would be acceptable? (going down to a salvage yard tommorrow to look at an older ram, hoping it has the tranny I need)

If there is anyone here who drives a 5.9 mated to a nv4500, how do you like it? I am a little worried that between 4.10 axles, 2.7:1 transfer case, and a 5.61 first gear I may be creating a gearing that is too low. (Overall calculated to be 64:1 in 4 low). Biggest tire size will be 33x12.5.

Performance wise, is there any modifications you guys would recommend while I have the engine out on a stand? (throttle body or something?) I dont want to make it an insane hp/torque monster. But I am just lookin to add a little pep or strengthen it. Any comments on the sound of magnaflow for the 5.9? (good, bad, droning, deep etc?)

Thanks to anyone who replies, I know that was kind of long, and maybe you guys have no idea. Just figured I would ask

See less See more
#2 ·
While you have the motor on the stand , pull the intake manifold . On the bottom of the manifold is a plate . This plate is notorious for gasket failure which leads to sucking your oil out of the motor . Reseal it . This gasket should come in a intake manifold gasket set . I would use some blue loctite on the bolts to keep them from loosening up . Take some pics of your Jeep and the parts you have and post them . It's great to hear that your not putting a small block Chevy in it like everyone else does .

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice!

I have not let myself purchase anything just yet. I don't want to buy something, then realize it wont work. I am giving myself about 2 months to figure it out (one left). I was going to swap my 4 banger for a inline six, but decided that I would be spending the same if not less (dodge's are more common for the most part) on a V8 swap. Might aswell have something to show for the hard work.

And I chose the magnum over the chevy because chrysler owns both jeep and dodge, so it is a lot easier to connect the wiring harnesses and a lot of parts transfer over. Plus I kind of like dodge more than chevy. A friend did a chevy into his yj, ran him about 8 grand and still going up. A guy on a jeep forum is looking at about 3 grand for the magnum. Its a lot either way, but its also a lot less than what it could be you know?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.