DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2010 hemi towing and shifting? Needs to quit

5K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  homerunhitter 
#1 ·
Guys I tow a bassboat all week and weekend pretty much. I have a issue with shifting. I can get up to 70-75 quick but it continuously shifts down to hold this speed even on minor hills. This is in tow and manual and regular drive. I'm sick of the shifting and I already bought a predator and exhaust trying to help this problem. What can I do to keep it holding speeds without shifting? Turbo/supercharger? Give me suggestions please

G
#3 ·
What Randy ^^^^ asked is very relevant.

I just towed a small UHaul over three mountain ranges and when I got to the hills, I just put it in Tow/Haul and it didn't hunt for a lower gear nor did it shift up, then back down again very often.

I have 3.73 gears, FYI, and I don't have MDS either.

#12 · (Edited)
How about a Cummins Turbo Diesel? =) Should pull 2500 lbs like a sum-beech!

(If it was me, I'd go that route before I went aftermarket turbo / SC.)

BUT, on a more serious note, there are other options available to increase your pulling power that are more reliable and cheaper than turbo / SC,,,

I don't know that the HEMI is really lacking for power, but it may not have the power (torque) you need in a certain gear at a certain speed.

In that case, you should consider trying lower finals,,, 4.56's,,,

#13 ·
turbos & super chargers are for speed performance, not torque or shifting
i have to believe that there is a different solution

#15 ·
if you don't have it already... you might look in to a tranny cooler kit... I've got the 3.55s in my '10 Sport HEMI CC. I haven't had anything hooked up behind her yet, but we will see in the weeks to come....

Exco

#16 ·
I just sold my 07 5.9 cummins it was a bad some beech literally. It had twins and everything. But wasn't reliable I kept having minor issues that I didn't want to put up with. So would like 4.56 gears hold more for for towing and let me pull better? How about the mileage?

#17 ·
Here's something I posted in another thread but will help answer your question.

Here is the math @ 70 mph running the 275/60-20 tire (33")

3.92 = 1872 rpm
4.10 = 1958
4.56 = 2178

75 mph with same tire
3.92 = 2006
4.10 = 2098
4.56 = 2333

I used Randy's Ring and Pinion website calculator. I'm pretty sure 5th gear is 0.67 ratio. Keep in mind that if you use the Tow/Haul mode these calculations would all have to be redone for 4th gear.

#18 ·
I accidentally hit the TOW/HAUL button when leaving a job site yesterday, my '09 ram went down to 5th & it went back to 6th as soon as I took it out of that mode

now i know what it does, i'm still discovering things about my truck & i've had it more than a year
:LOL:

#21 ·
Zack, I don't get it. I have 3.55 gears and same truck, heavier boat and it pulls great as long as I have it in tow/haul mode (mds on vs. off didn't change for me when pulling). Do you pull at 60-65mph? It seems all truck/vehicles have a hard time with 60-65mph when pulling, they do better at 70+ for shifting, unless you have 32" tires and 4.10 gears. I'm really surprised you're having so much shifting with 3.92's. hmmmm????? sorry dude, guess you'll need a Cummins next round!

#22 ·
I too experienced these issues. First off, I believe someone posted that it is a 6-speed tranny. I am pretty sure it is only a 5-speed. Tow/haul just changes shift points slightly. After a few hours of shifting up and down, I finally remembered I had the digital gear shifter. Put it in 4 and it runs at 2500 rpm with 4000 lbs. at 60-65mph. it doesn't gear down unless you go up a really steep hill. Run at 70 mph, and it will shift down a lot more on even minor hills. I don't have an O/D off button. I only have a Tow/Haul and I asssumed 5th was my overdrive. I may be completely mistaken with all of this info, but 4th seemed to work great. I got a Mufflex 18" on my truck and the constant shifting was getting annoying.

#24 · (Edited)
I too experienced these issues. First off, I believe someone posted that it is a 6-speed tranny. I am pretty sure it is only a 5-speed. Tow/haul just changes shift points slightly. After a few hours of shifting up and down, I finally remembered I had the digital gear shifter. Put it in 4 and it runs at 2500 rpm with 4000 lbs. at 60-65mph. it doesn't gear down unless you go up a really steep hill. Run at 70 mph, and it will shift down a lot more on even minor hills. I don't have an O/D off button. I only have a Tow/Haul and I asssumed 5th was my overdrive. I may be completely mistaken with all of this info, but 4th seemed to work great. I got a Mufflex 18" on my truck and the constant shifting was getting annoying.
Technically speaking it is a 6 speed transmission but because of the 2 second gears, it's classified as a 5 speed. The extra second gear is a true passing gear and isn't used in upshifting. Check out this link for more info http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=55657

#25 ·
I have 3:55 gears and pull around 4500 pounds. You are lucky to have 3:92s. Always pull in 4th gear. That should solve your problem. My experience with tow/haul does nothing more than change shift points when going up in gears. Turns off mds. No difference with torque converter staying in lock up. In driving gear, truck acts the same with or without tow/haul.

#26 ·
The only impact Tow/haul has on MDS is it increases the rpm beyond the MDS's operational range.

To turn off MDS you have to put the trans in manual mode.

#28 ·
I have the same problem!!!! I have a 2014 5.7 Hemi with asupercharger with a lift kit and 35" tires. All that said my truckis great until I exceed 60mph. 60-70 it shifts back and forth constantly.

• 3.21Rear Axle Ratio
  • 3.21Rear Axle Ratio (Requires EZH)
  • Transmission:8-Speed Automatic (8HP70)
    In speaking with ProCharger,they have no codes for the transmission. In speaking with Diablo (thecompany that ProCharger uses for their tune)- they feel that it's the 35"tires are causing everything being thrown off. In speaking withExtreme Offroad (who did the install)- they want me to experiment with largergears and that it "might" fix the problem. But in talking with alocal dealership they said they had codes for the transmission and mentionedsomething about "flashing" or something like that and felt hopeful.
    I’m lost but am just superunhappy with the gas mileage and with the overall performance. I average 10mpg and road trips are just “messy”…
    Anyone have thoughts orexperiences they could share?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.