DODGE RAM FORUM banner

tire time

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  starquestbd22 
#1 ·
hey guys im starting to look for some new tires for my truck i got a 2005 1500 4x4 its pretty much stock suspension wise gonna see how high i can get the front with just the stock torsion keys hopefully this weekend but im wondering what the possible biggest tire i can fit under there with little to no rubbing im sure its on the site somehwere already but im having troubles finding a good answer

also was thinking about going with the xd addict wheels probably downsize to 18 inch

any response would be greatly appreciated so i can start budgeting this all out

#3 ·
Yeah I'm in the same boat, been doing some shopping for tires. Not sure how much different the 05 is from an 07. Got a hold of my local offroad shop they said the biggest I can go without having to install a leveling kit or having the tires trimmed is 32" x 10.5". They recommended Mickey Thompson Baja ST's. I haven't seen a set except for pictures online, they don't look really aggressive, they said if I wanted to go more aggressive I'd have to step up to a 33" tire which would require the tire trim or leveling kit. Think I might go back to a BFG all terrain TA KO's though. I've also got the 20" rim option as well.

#6 ·
Yeah I'm in the same boat, been doing some shopping for tires. Not sure how much different the 05 is from an 07. Got a hold of my local offroad shop they said the biggest I can go without having to install a leveling kit or having the tires trimmed is 32" x 10.5". They recommended Mickey Thompson Baja ST's. I haven't seen a set except for pictures online, they don't look really aggressive, they said if I wanted to go more aggressive I'd have to step up to a 33" tire which would require the tire trim or leveling kit. Think I might go back to a BFG all terrain TA KO's though. I've also got the 20" rim option as well.
Why would you have to level or trim going to a 33" tire. The stock 275/60 are 33" on the 20" rim. Unless the rim offset is causing the problem.

#4 ·
yeah im gonna crank on my stock torsion keys today and see if i can get the front up any higher

i really wanted to go with the toyo mts 33x12.5r18 i was hoping that if i had a -12 offset on my rims that they might fit but i have no idea still wating on people to reply to the thread

#7 · (Edited)
The difference between the 2005 and the 2007 trucks is that starting in 2006 the 1500 Rams had a coilover front suspension where in previous trucks it was a torsion bar front suspension. The coilover suspension limited not so much the height but width of tire than can be run without rubbing. That being said, either of you can run a 275/65/20 (34" tall tire) with no issues. You could also run a 285/60/20 or 285/65/20 but tire selection in those sizes, while very nice, is very limited and fairly expensive.

Fickle, your local off-road shop obviously doesn't know anything about Dodge trucks because as Fozman said, the stock 275/60/20 is a 33" tall and 10.8" wide tire. You could go with one of the sizes I listed above without issue but the general consensus is that anything wider than 285 will rub on the stock rims unless you elect to use 1/4" spacers. With the spacers you could do a 295/60/20 or probably even a 35x12.50x20.

tyhemi, having the pre-2006 truck from what I have read you could probably run 35x12.50 stock although a level would probably be a good idea. If you are swapping to aftermarket wheels with less offset (or more negative offset, depends on how you want to look at it) then you certainly wouldn't have a problem.

Hope this helps fellas!

#12 ·
The difference between the 2005 and the 2007 trucks is that starting in 2006 the 1500 Rams had a coilover front suspension where in previous trucks it was a torsion bar front suspension. The coilover suspension limited not so much the height but width of tire than can be run without rubbing. That being said, either of you can run a 275/65/20 (34" tall tire) with no issues. You could also run a 285/60/20 or 285/65/20 but tire selection in those sizes, while very nice, is very limited and fairly expensive.

Fickle, your local off-road shop obviously doesn't know anything about Dodge trucks because as Fozman said, the stock 275/60/20 is a 33" tall and 10.8" wide tire. You could go with one of the sizes I listed above without issue but the general consensus is that anything wider than 285 will rub on the stock rims unless you elect to use 1/4" spacers. With the spacers you could do a 295/60/20 or probably even a 35x12.50x20.

tyhemi, having the pre-2006 truck from what I have read you could probably run 35x12.50 stock although a level would probably be a good idea. If you are swapping to aftermarket wheels with less offset (or more negative offset, depends on how you want to look at it) then you certainly wouldn't have a problem.

Hope this helps fellas!

Yes that does make sense. I didn't end up going with the Mickey Thompsons, the more I looked at the STZ the more I didn't figure I'd be happy with it. I've been chatting with my mechanic who seems quite eager to have my business as when I said I was looking at those Mickey Thompsons that would have run me just over a grand for all 4, he was right on the phone to his tire supplier to see what kind of deal he could get me. I ended up going with a 34" tire, 11" wide. Went with the BFG All Terrain TA KO's, was happy with them on my Dakota so I figured I'd go with them again. Just gotta wait for them to come in as nobody has any in stock, or at least they didn't when I was in last. I don't wanna go wheel spacers and what not right now, as there will likely be a leveling kit or perhaps a lift kit going on, but I kinda needed the tires first. Thanks for all the help and information. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year!!

#8 ·
i didnt go with a leveling kit i just cranked up the torsion keys that are stock and i got an 1.5 inches out of it before the wheels start to angle so for the most part im about a half inch lower in the front than i am in the back now so its pretty close

what im curious to know now is how far out wheel my wheels stick out the side of my truck if i got with a -12 offset?

and what would be the biggest and widest tire i could go if i get rims that are around the same offset as my stock ones i think stock rums at like 17 or 18

#9 ·
Sorry, I did see the part about cranking the bars. That's how I leveled mine as well.

I am not 100% certain but I think you can run a 35x12.50x20 on stock rims on a leveled pre-2006 truck. I know the 2006-up trucks will run a 35x12.50 with a 1/4" spacer. The older (pre-2006) third gens are supposed to have a little more room though.

As for the -12 offset...you are correct about the stock offset being somewhere around +18. So with -12 offset you would be moving your rims out away from the truck by about 30mm or 1.18".

#13 ·
What did you go with, 275/65 or 285/60? You gotta throw some pics on here when you get them on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.