DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Overhead dome light switch not working

19K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  RogerRamJet 
#1 ·
Has anyone had problems with the overhead dome light not working? When I click the light to turn it on it won't work, but when I turn on all the lights with the dimmer switch they'll come on and will also cut off if I click the light while I have all the interior lights turned on using the dimmer switch. Freaking weird, a fuse, or bad relay maybe?

#2 ·
What kind of lights do you have in it? LED's? You may have an issue with there not being enough load for it to come on. In which case you would have to solder a resistor on to the bulb.

#4 ·
Ok, maybe a bad bulb? I was having an issue like yours, except it was with my map lights. Different generation Ram, so I'm guessing a different issue. I fixed mine with a resistor. Now I'm stumped. I reckon it's time to break out the volt meter and start testing and troubleshooting. Wish I could've been more help.

#6 ·
Mine did the same. Would work when the door was opened or if I turned them on with the switch, just not individually. With the resistors, they work great now, both with the door/switch and individually.

#8 ·
Yes, if they work one method and not the other than you can rule out the bulb.

The switch is a good start.

#13 ·
same issue just happened tonight on my buddies ram. with the doors closed when you push them they wont light. however on keyless entry or doors opening they all light.

it is actually working like an on off switch now on those two center overhead lights. because when you push them in... like ur turning them on then open the doors or use keyless they wont light.... push them again and they will work with doors opening or keyless again.

u ever find a fix for this? it can't be the map light switches as there is no way both switches went bad at the exact same time. all fuses look good.

for the guy who mentioned a resistor.... more info please

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.