DODGE RAM FORUM banner

OBX Headers

13K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Taylor 1500 
#1 ·
I have been looking for headers and exhaust for my truck and I have found that I would like to go with mufflex and stock exhaust. But I also want to run headers. For the 4th gen w/hemi, I've come across either Doug Thorley or ARH. I really like the ARH, but not so enthused about the price. I know, its a nice piece but still its too much for me. I could likely pull the DT's but they are not a direct replacement shorty header. The install requires cutting the exhaust flange joint at the cat and weld the new one to mate to the Doug's header. Not exactly what I was looking for, if I gotta work for it I might as well find long tube headers or force fit something from a hemi car. So, this leaves me to the OBX headers that I have been seeing that come with cats. Does anyone have these and are they decent. The price is very reasonable but makes me a little skeptical. I appreciate info from owners of OBX headers, I have seen a few sigs with them listed.
Thanks,

#2 ·
they are much better then some give them credit for..I've seen them installed on a buddy's ram and they perform well...and those are not cats..lol, just blips in the tubing..hehe

#3 ·
I bought some OBX headers for a Sentra spec-v I had years ago and they were good quality, the welds were flawless and the metal being stainless was superb.

I don't know how they are for the trucks but I'm guessing they cant be that bad, hell when I went to buy them for the Sentra everybody said they were garbage, turns out the car was garbage and couldn't outlast the headers

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I searched for info and even the OBX website only lists info for import car headers on their site. So, I really could not find any information about them. I don't think that they could be that bad as some of the members here have them. I may have to give them a shot as long as no one has had a bad experience with them.

#7 ·
That set you are looking at in OBX, I installed about 3 months ago. They are a nice set up, but I got rid if the flow through resonators and replaced them with high flow cats because they were throwing codes constantly. Now that the exhaust and cats and headers have had a chance to burn in and mellow out the sound is incredible and I love the performance. Install wasn't bad, took longer than expected, but that stuff happens.

Anyways I love em and the are working great for me.

#15 ·
How's it going I had a question for u seeing that u also had the obx long tube headers. I'm also throwing a code about the cats being that they came with just high flow resinators .. I was looking at the high flow magna flow cats but it only has 1 port for the o2 sensor.. How did u go about installing those with the high flow cats nd hooking up the o2 sensors?? Did u have any problems since ? Any advise would help I'm stumped right now..:4-dontknow: Thanks

#9 ·
@Chefred, you sir are correct. I am coming from GM products where headers typically can be had for far less than a grand. While, I know that the hemi will likely never have parts as cheap as a SBC, I will never have enough coin to drop over $1000 for Dynotech, ARH, Stainless Works, Kooks, etc. headers. They all make nice parts and I am not knocking them, just saying they will never be in my parts budget.

If you search for the thread "Headers from ebay???" you will find a full write up with pictures of the install and everything else that I did.
Hope this helps.
@smokitup, Thank you for the information, this is exactly what I was looking to find. And thank you for not saying something more about the blasted search function. For whatever reason the search function kept dropping OBX from the search and I ended up with a ton of threads with the word "Header." Not sure what I type of exhaust I will end up with but I know that the stock y-pipe is terrible design. So, I am looking for better flow and sound. Thanks for the good info. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#12 ·
Ya know Im so happy someone finally asked something that didnt pertain to or question about a fricken CAI Im gonna give you one whole rep point!!! lmao Jeez its like a breath of fresh air thanks!! And in my opinion, atleast this is what Im gonna do is pick up a set of long tubes from Jegs or Summit Pacesetter or Hedman makes em they are like 300 bucks. Install should be simple, I did JBA headers on a v6 Charger without removing a lot. I personally havent heard great stuff bout OBX, but if thats what you choose to go with then do a nice write up and let us know how it works for ya!

#13 ·
with any header, make sure it is specific to your year and drive train (2wd or 4wd)...any doubt, ask the mfg...I've seen a few assume that it would work even though their year isn't listed...and see them have to return or sell them because of these assumptions

#14 ·
Fitment is the main question. I see there are Ebay listings for long tube sets that fit model years from 07-09. I suppose I shouldn't go assuming that they will automatically fit '10 if they fit '09. But the one reason that I figure why not get 'em is that almost every header/exhaust install has required some additional modification. After reading Smokeitup's install, I may hold off on this endeavor for awhile seeing as how it was a several hour project with a lift. Not to mention additional outlay for the unexpected extra parts needed. But when you see the pic's of his headers and y-pipe its understandable why there so much interest in these headers.

#17 ·
Obx are great! I think people don't like them because the cheaper price and they make a lot of ricer stuff. But the quality is really nice! Way better than the setters I had before. If youre doubting them, don't, they are great for the price. You'll be stoked when you see them in person.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.