DODGE RAM FORUM banner

New Ram Grille and Tailgate

2K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  striker2237 
#1 ·
I seen the new Ram grille and tailgate design and while different they are quickly growing on me. The grille is very bold and tough looking and the large RAM letters make no bones about it this is a RAM truck.

The crowd over at pick up truck dot com are all bashing Ram as they always do, nothing new about that, but man they just can't handle the growth that Ram has been on for the past couple of years.

Even Mark Williams is in on the bashing saying that the Ram Nation is all up set about the grille and tailgate. I think Mark Williams is just as clueless as 99% of their posters over there.

#2 ·
Keep searching here and you will find a thread already started on this subject and most here don't like the changes either.....myself included.

If I had of walked into the dealership to pickup my truck and either of those Grills or the RAM tailgate was on it and I would have walked away.

#3 ·
That's pickup trucks site is so Ford bias it's sick. I went creeping around there a few times and the egoboost, "military grade" aluminum, space shuttle super alloy screaming v6 powered "truck" loving Ford girls don't know there a$$holes from a hole in the ground when it comes to trucks.. I'm not the truck God or anything but been around trucks and truck related stuff my hole life with my dad and I know a thing or two. It all comes down to opinions at the end of the day tho. And you like what you like. I think Ford trucks are the biggest peice of garbage on the road but again that's just my opinion..

And as for the new dodge grille and tailgate.. I have mixed feelings about it. I still feel like they really screwed up dropping the "dodge" name( I still call them dodges and will continue to do so) and saying that I think it would have looked better with the Rams head in the center of the grille and DODGE across the tailgate the "ram" name sounds a bit cartoony and a bit fruity to me but if they still build decent trucks then the badges can always be shaved off. Kinda scared to see what the next generation brings for dodge. Sure hope they don't go aluminum and I sure as heck hope they keep a v8 power train.. Those 2 things change then it's time to move on and go back to old trucks again

#5 ·
I think the cross hair grille has run its course and it is time for something big and bold. There are many designs that when I first see them I say what where they thinking then after they have been out for a few months the design grows on you and it looks good.

Dodge/Ram has used a cross hair grille since 1987 at least and it is just getting dated and old. Time to move on. In a few months if Ram changes all the grilles people won't even think twice about them.

I like the new grille.

#7 ·
IMO i agree with what he is saying, Quote Henry ford here "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."

Keying off of Preach and the if it aint broke dont fix it, We would in fact still be riding horses. I think It was time for something new. Not saying im a fan or hate the new look but i think its a good move to keep things fresh. I know when the 4th gens first came out i thought the grille was hideous it looked like it had an overbite to me. But now i love it. Im curious to see where this will go.

#6 ·
Hi RacehillFarms,
If you have something that works then why mess with it? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Ther cross hair grill has been updated and at least in my opinion is not a dated look. That new grill looks too much like a ford spin off, and the tail gate, well if the Hemi sound doesn't tell you it's a RAM then plastering the name in your face isn't going to do much for you.
I just think it lost some of the class that the 13-15 models have. It isn't going to make me want to trade Bumble Beast off any time soon that is for sure.
JMHO
Have a great day,

preachp

#9 ·
Hi Kamanhart,

You are stretching that a bit don't you think. I was talking about styling ques and you are talking about a major shift in transportation modes. The grill is too much like a Ford. It is NOT attractive to me and I really am not liking the billboard sign on the tailgate either.
The truck has lost some class and style.

preachp

#11 ·
I was absolutely stretching it, if you take it literally instead of ideally. Im not saying that its anywhere near that big of deal, im just saying its the same premise. I completely respect your opinion mate. As well as agree the tailgate could have been thought out way better. The grille im on the fence about, i will just have to see where that is in a few months.

I guess my point with the quote was, no matter what they do there is going to be hell in the masses for one reason or another, whether it be keeping the same design and becoming over done, or changing it up and being ridiculed for following the wave. Its just MY OPINION that i think it will prove to be a good decision for the long game to spice it up some.

Cheers preach :smileup:

#10 ·
first, i still think the 3rd gen is the best looking. just my opine. i dont like the new grill or tailgate and i dont see them growing on me. in spite of that, those are cosmetic, and ram will still have the the nicest interior, the best warranty and dodge has always had great engines. the looks wont cause me to jump ship. there is always after market grills,and body shops to paint the tailgate and hide some of the billboard effect.

#12 ·
Hi Kamanhart,

No harm, no foul. I agree nobody can please everybody. But I really think they should have looked at what has become a signature look on the trucks and found a better way to update it. Looking at it I just kind of feel that they are trying to play "keep up with the Jone's" and they do not need to.

Have a great day.

preachp

Reactions: Kamanhart
#13 · (Edited)
HI All,
Sorry about the double post, didin't think I hit it twice but.......

preachp

#14 ·
I don't mind the new front grill, but I detest the huge lettering on the tailgate. Personally I think they should just leave the Ram head on the tailgate and that's it. I'm not fond of lots of badging. Ram needs to just focus on using quality materials and improving their product and be true to their brand and not jumping on everyone else's bandwagon..Less is more imo.

#15 ·
I just took delivery of my 2015 1500 4x4 Laramie (ordered in December) and I love it. Before I ordered I did a ton of research among the big 3 and Chevy was really never on my list (goofy looking truck I think); then GMC dropped as the test drive did that in; so it came down to the new 2015 F150 and the Ram. But in the end - I think Ram builds THE superior truck. The performance and handling are the best that I experienced as I test drove all three trucks plus the new Canyon. In the end I also got the air suspension and Ram boxes and they're great. Lastly, I think the version of the Ram truck I got is the best looking truck on the market. Tough looking yet classy.

That all said I think the new version of the Limited's grill is taking the current design theme too far - it kinds of reminds me of Chevy Chase's station wagon in the first vacation movie - the "Super Queen Family Truckster". It seems like it's more chrome for the sake of more chrome; a bigger grill just to make it bigger. I love Ram's but I hope this design refresh for the Limited is not an indication of the next generation. Regarding the tailgate - I am not as bothered. I think having Ram across the back is fine and I get why they want to display the name there - it might be best to make it a little more understated.

#16 ·
If you don't like the grill, replace it. I'm sure there will be some aftermarket sources for these.

Tailgate? I remember when trucks had the tailgates stamped with big lettering, nothing new. Except you might be able to de-badge these ones.

If stuff like that chases you away, then you are pretty easily swayed. Enjoy your new ford.

#17 ·
I'm not a big fan of the grille, too much going on there. But who knows I may change my mind after I get used to it. The RAM on the tailgate bothers me less for some reason. I think it reminds me of the the pickups a few decades ago where everyone seemed to have their name in big letters across the back. I'd really like to see RAM use some of the styling cues from the Durango front end, simple, sleek and aggressive. Just my 2 cents.

#19 ·
Hi twodog,

If I pay 30-40 grand for something I kinda want to like the way it looks when I get it and not have to go out and get replacement aftermarket parts to make it look OK.
As for enjoy your Ford
Flipping
Old
Rebuilt
Dodge

preachp

#20 · (Edited)
preach, i think the real issue, for me anyway, is that dodge set the standard in the looks department with the intro of the of the first gen. from the pics, this time not so much. imho, when you talk to to ford or chevy guys, as much as they laugh and berate your dodge/ram the one thing that i have not heard is the word ugly. i have known die hard ford guys say, wouldn't waste my money on one, but they do look good.

i see you are in CT, hope you will make it to the GT get together in the summer.

#22 ·
Hi huntergreen,

Yeah they are nice looking trucks. But they can work hard too. I think that the Limited takes away from the truck. As for the GTG it depends on when as I am a nurse and work every other weekend. I agree with you that Dodge set the mark with the Gen 1s and have kept true to form with the subsequent three generations. A year and a half after I got the Bumble beast I still find myself looking back at it and saying that is one sweet lookin' truck. Don't know that I would be so prone to do so with the Limtied's look.

#23 ·
I bought a 1996 Ram new and back then I thought it was a good looking truck, today I think the first generations are ugly. I also had a 1998 Ram. My 2002, 2005, 2007 and 2008 rams were far better looking than the first gen Rams where in my opinion. I did not own a third gen Ram. I do like my forth gen 2014 ram and think it is the best of all the Rams I have owned, quality wise it is far better than my 2008 Ram and I never had any problems with my 2008.

I like the bold new grille. You can't keep doing the same thing every year as that just gets stale after so long. Rams are tough trucks they need a bold tough grille.

I bet a lot of you have never seen the 1960 era Doge trucks heck I bet a good bunch of you were not even born yet, now those trucks were ugly!

#24 ·
Been Mopar my whole life, have owned other brands, without a doubt, and some I wish to high heaven I still had BUT I prefer Mopar.

I would not buy a Ram with that grill and tailgate, unless it could be removed without any indication remaining.

It is a deal breaker, for me.

Would rather drive a Mary Kay Pink Caddy than that ugly damn thing.

Looks like those two idiots from those old "That Thing got a Hemi? Commercials designed it.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.