DODGE RAM FORUM banner

NO2 Questions

2K views 37 replies 7 participants last post by  Hornet 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some more knowledge on NO2 systems, I'm familiar with the basic concept but was hoping someone who has used the stuff can chime is with details on how it work. I'm interested in wet vs dry setups, staging, plug temps, dynamic CR changes vs something like a super, and difficulty of having a system that you can remove easy from, say, a small Japanese car you don't really feel like working on much......

#6 ·
Hydrex uses nitrous in his 2005 Hemi and seems to be pretty happy with it. You may want to ask him about his setup.I think he uses it in his Magnum too.

#10 ·
Biggest f-ups I see with nitrous is sloppy installs or lack of maintenance on the solenoids / wiring and guys blowing off the intake manifold when the leaks cause a backfire. A small shot less than 100hp won't hurt the engine internal but any size shot can clear off the top of the engine block and blow the hood.

#15 · (Edited)
Heating a bottle with a torch stress fatigue's it,and there's been the odd guy who's found out they explode violently when heated that way.
Back in my street racing days (early 80's to late 90's) it was fairly common to see bottles being heated with little tiger torches,blanket heaters weren't very widely used in those days

#17 ·
LOL,there was still a pile of experimenting going on with nitrous in those days.
Nitrous's benefits have been used on engines since World War 2,the Germans discovered it's benefits on piston powered fighter planes.
But it didn't hit the street car scene till around 1977 when NOS came on the scene.
I started playing with the stuff in 81,put a 125hp kit on a brand new 301 Turbo Pontiac Trans Am.
Fell in love with it then,as it made that little 301 really come alive.
Turbo engines and Nitrous make a great combination,lots of exhaust heat and velocity to spool up a Turbo almost instantly.
Car made 12,000 km's then blew up,lol.
GM warrentied the motor,to the tune of 5500 bucks back in the spring of 81:smileup:
I melted a few pistons over the years experimenting with leaning out the fuel side:LOL:
Always wanted to try using Propane as the enrichment fuel,instead of gas,but never got around to it.
On paper Propane is a good enrichment fuel,it's high octane, also boils at -44F,so it's a wicked cooling agent,already vaporized when it hits the intake stream etc.

#21 · (Edited)
You'd have to balance the amount of propane injected somehow Striker.
Nitrous is generally in the neighbourhood of 900 to 1100 psi,Propane is closer to 3,000 psi.
It could be done with jets,also solonoids that'll hold under Propanes pressures are expensive,and you'd be experimenting,that can be costly.
A nitrous solonoid generally won't hold propanes psi's reliably

#22 ·
So I would need a high PSI application switch, maybe a solenoid activating a mechanical interface? I can find the amount of propane need with a sociometry breakdown of the compoenents in propane, NO2 and O2 to find the right amounts needed and how much I would need to scale them under PSI and at the average heat of combustion. Jets wouldn't work because I have a feeling that the amount of propane needed to stabilize NOS isn't going to linear because of the increasingly higher dynamic CR is going to make it a pain in general. This is really starting to interest me........I'm going to try some stuff on a junkyard engine perhaps and go from there. What is needed to run an engine on a stand? Fuel, accessorys, starter....anything else?

#26 ·
Hold on guys, we are all talking about 9 completely different things here. I'm talking about injecting liquid propane directly into the cylinders like a lot of new 4 cylinder import engines. Roush has a kit available as a kit for fleet F150s and it is awesome engineering.

Pressure wise, nitrous at room temperature is at around 900 psi, propane at 110 psi. 99.99% of the time propane is vaporized before entering the cylinders, just like a propane converted pickup from the 80's, what the diesel guys are using, and your barbecue. Propane is not going to do much as an enrichment fuel with nitrous, but propane as a primary fuel has potential, just not run through a vaporizer system.

#28 · (Edited)
Yea i shouldn't be typing when i'm not awke.
Propanes pressures are in the neighbourhood of 130 psi at room temp.
As an enrichment fuel it has potential,but it would take some experimenting to get working properly.
No vaporizer either Frostking,direct injecting it through a plate.

https://www.propanecarbs.com/propane.html

Striker there was even some experimenting with injecting pure oxygen back in the 60's

#35 ·
O great......I did some reading and one can REALLY get a lowly gas engine to do some insane output.....for a short time. I think over the summer I'm going to get a carbed I-4 from a scrap yard and see how much it can put out. On a side note how the heck does one load an engine if its not in car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.