DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2013 Ram 1500 Dyno Video & Results

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  theGSE10 
#1 · (Edited)
So I just wanted to post a quick vid of one of the dyno runs from yesterday while my truck was being custom tuned by American High Performance.

I took it there to have them install my JBA shorty's, raise my Bilsteins to 2.8 and do a custom 87 octane tune.

Current mods:
Green filter (stock airbox), JBA titanium ceramic coated shorty headers, Borla XR1 muffler, Diablosport Trinity T1000 w/ custom 87 octane tune, Moroso catch can, Hellwig rear sway bar, Bilstein 5100's, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, 1 3/4" TGC rear spacer, Air Lift 1000, Hunter bull bar, Cree 20" lightbar, Line-x, Bak RollX & Bak Box 2, 275/65r20 (34") Cooper AT3's

Results probably would have been better had I done the 93 octane, but I didn't want to pay the extra $15-20 a tank especially once gas $ go back up. The big 34" Cooper AT3's also didn't help the power :p

Anyways I was pretty happy with it. Best run when I was there was 324 RWHP and 317 RWTQ, but IMO the powerband wasn't very linear so I think they dropped it down a little to get better power across the board.

Final number was 300 RWHP and 320 RWTQ

Let me know what you guys think about the results!

Edit: Also the truck is a 5.7 Hemi with the 6 speed transmission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exsWkZGDCR8

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, yeah I've very happy with how it sounds now. I was expecting a little more power but I think the tires being basically 15lbs heavier at each corner really hurt. I'm just going to have to start looking for a good set of light weight wheels next! Any suggestions are more than welcome! :LOL:

#4 ·
I think size is more of a hindrance that weight. Put some 17's on there and your number will go up.

I just put down 407 at the wheels with my big 22's. I'm betting that number looks better with 17's...

#6 · (Edited)
I'm still torn between going 17" and 35's next or just doing 20"x10" and 35's. I'm leaning towards Centerline Wildcat's right now because they seem to be the lightest. I don't get how wheel diameter changes dyno results, shouldn't it be tire diameter that affects it?

No stock/base run unfortunately. Truck already had the Coopers on and muffler on prior to me taking it into the shop. The shop also had to to replace a part on their dyno so they couldn't do a before and after pull. I had them install the JBA's and stock tune so I could have it back for work, then I brought it back a couple days later to do the custom tune.

I was running canned 93 octane tune before I dropped it off but what surprised me was how much more powerful it felt when I got it back with the JBA's and stock tune only. The headers made the power delivery much smoother and quieted the MDS noise a ton. The only thing I can give you is IMO the headers alone made a bigger difference than the tuner alone.

#9 ·
She sounds beastly man and congrats on the good run!

I don't get how wheel diameter changes dyno results, shouldn't it be tire diameter that affects it?
Yes and no, Its all about moment of inertia for your wheel. This is dependant on the mass of the rim and tire and the square of the radius. So for a 35"tall tire say on a 17" rim vs a 20" rim, the rim will be more dense (weigh more) at a further distance (20") rim causing work torque to rotate it vs the same height on a 17" rim.

You are correct in saying the overall diameter also effects it, hence my guys at the strip run a ~27" tall tire to reduce that as much as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.