DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Programmer vs. Oil life debate...

2K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an interesting topic guys; since I added my programmer (T1000) I've notice that my oil life has been reduced. No surprise, harder working engine = lower oil life. But what is interesting is I changed my oil tonight and re-set my oil life indicator and it started at 69% opposed to starting at 100%. Now, I did switch from Mobil 1 full synthetic to Amsoil full synthetic for the first time. So my question is, do you think its the computer in the truck is compensating for the harder working engine and giving it 69%???
Anyone else have this issue since adding a programmer or changing oil? See pic:4-dontknow:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think that the computer has any way of knowing the real integrity of the oil, good example of this is my mom drives a toyota sequoia platinum that we upgraded to royal purple. The Computer told us that the oil needed changed at 5k miles but when we (I) changed it and had it analyzed (just because you know?) it was still 73% good and I soon after found out that was with a bunch of the old conventional crap toyota puts in dirtying the royal.

#3 ·
I agree that the Rams oil life indicator or computer does not have the ability to analyze oil but does know how hard the engine in operating. And that raises an interesting question about the tuners some of us use. The pic I posted in my original post shows 0 miles since changed with the oil life at 69%; so my theory is the tuner (with 93 performance tune) is making the engine work 31% harder over the stock tune. So in theory the computer is compensating for the harder working engine by reducing the oil life capacity. Now that's just my theory but it's the only conclusion I can come to at this time. And it gives all of us something interesting to think about if you use a tuner/programmer. Oil change intervals, tranny fluid change intervals, spark plug change intervals and ultimately vehicle longevity.

#4 ·
Only way a programmer can make more power is via more fuel or more spark advance, this should not induce any more wear than normal as unless you have blow-by into the block the oil won't care that the spark is advanced. Now if you rev it like mad that will stress it out more or if you don't let the oil come up to temp in colder weather. I can't think of any way that a handheld would make oil wear faster, use full synthetic though. Full synthetic is much much better and will (help) prevent death of the oil and engine even if you do something stupid like rev to 6k on a cold engine.

#5 ·
But what is interesting is I changed my oil tonight and re-set my oil life indicator and it started at 69% opposed to starting at 100%.
I have the 7" EVIC and recently had my first oil change done at the dealer. I also switched to full synthetic during this change. The EVIC showed the OLM at 73% instead of 100% after the change - it had been at 35% before the change. When I asked them about it they said that apparently it had not been properly reset and had me do the reset procedure again though the procedure was different than what is outlined in the owner's manual (i.e. resetting via the EVIC which I had tried before calling them but it didn't work :4-dontknow:). They had me turn the key to the ON position without starting the engine, then slowly depress the accelerator all the way 3 times within 10 seconds and then turn the key off.

Hopefully I remember to check it before leaving the dealer next time.... :doh:

#12 ·
Tips thread !!

You should also post this in that TIPS & TRICKS thread.

Good Info and I thank you for it!

Dave

#13 ·
I know to reset mine is through the EVIC, no pushing accelerator 3 times.

#14 ·
I don't think there is anyway it know you have a tuner on it or the type of oil in terms of the oil change monitor. Its my understanding that the tuner doesn't really change much of anything during normal driving it just makes a difference during high throttle or full throttle settings.

#20 ·
3.000 mile oil changes here too.. Just ol school I guess! I've never had a vehicle I needed to add oil to in 3000 miles but I think this dodge is a 1st. No matter the vehicle .. I would rather put 5 fresh quarts in than a half or whole to my old oil. That's just me!:4-dontknow:

#25 ·
Lol that's how long my dad goes on dino oil. He says I waste money going 6-7k on synthetic instead of 10k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.