DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Factory Fogs Separate Switch

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Ramathorne 
#1 ·
Well, It appears the reason one of my fog lights are out is computer (TIPM) related....No power from there to the socket but the other one is fine...I refuse to pay big bucks to replace that whole thing for a fog light...Anyone know of there can be something done to the TIPM to fix it?...Or will I have to run the fogs off a separate switch and forget about it?...Like a toggle switch etc?...If so, how do I do that?...Good thing about that is I could run my fogs with my highs could I not?

All info and directions are greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
well it should be under warranty right? you could go see if they will replace it under warranty. if not, i would try the toggle switch idea. you can buy fog light wiring harnesses fairly cheaply i think that come with the switch. if they wont replace it for free i would try that. unless the computer thing is cheaper which i doubt it would be.

#3 ·
Gota be a warranty item. Call the dealer.

me...

#4 ·
Bumper 2 Bumper is long gone
If i had warranty i would not be messing with it at all....
Powertrain remains but i am sure that would not be covered under that...
Im not that lucky lol
Where can i buy these wiring harnesses with the togglebswitch?

#5 ·
the original factory warranty is 3 year or 36,000 miles or 57 940 Km

I just passed the 3 year on my 2009
the mileage part was gone over a year ago, i am now on 62,000 miles

#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
well if it was me i would go up to the dealer and raise cain that my new truck isnt working right and its their fault. if you make a big enough scene in front of other customers, theyll probably give you what you want so you dont scare them away.

and there are tons of places that sell universal wiring harnesses. just type it in on the internet and get any that pops up. theyre bound to be all the same as far as i know. universal. yeah theyre all the same.

#8 · (Edited)
I have been searching through several kits, and a lot of them are specific for a certain brand of lights...And some of the universal ones have different connections...How would I go about doing this???...Where would I connect a universal harness too???...Splice it directly into someplace on the factory harness where it connects to the separate for harness behind the bumper?...I have never done this before so I could use all the help I can get...Diagrams or rough drawings of what I need to do etc...The problem is the computer or TICM or whatever it is, so the fog light harness is fine...

#9 · (Edited)

this should give you an idea of how these things work. this is the best diagram ive seen to give you an example of how some are wired. if you buy a custom harness, the wires that go to the fog lights would need to be cut from the original harness and the new fog light harness would splice to the old connectors from the old harness. it is very easy to do.

one easy way to fix the problem would be to buy a fog light kit like this for your truck and use the wiring harness that it comes with and splice your old fog lights into this fog light harness.

#10 ·
Are you sure it's a TIPM issue? I have seen cases where the connector on the bottom of the TIPM lost contact. Removing it and reconnecting can sometimes restore operation. On yours it is connector 'C'. The fog lights are on pins 23 (left - white/yellow) & 24 (right - white/orange).

#12 · (Edited)
My thread on installing the tailgate lock includes pictures, etc. on removing the TIPM. There is a link to it in my signature.

If you tackle this, I will recommend that you remove and reconnect all 7 connectors on the bottom of the TIPM. That way you have cycled all the contacts for all the circuits. Even if your fog light issue turns out to be a TIPM failure, cycling these connections is good preventative maintenance. :)

*** EDIT *** I just realized the thread references to the Mopar install document. << Link
TIPM removal is on page 8.

#13 ·
My truck is 3 weeks old. Fogs have never worked, but the IP fog indicator does come on. There are bulbs present and the connectors are on. Dealer is 25' away, so I can't just drop by after work. Also two trips are guaranteed. Suspect that the problem is something like this. Just installed my tailgate remote lock last weekend. They better not give me grief about that.:doh:

#14 ·
wow. that sucks. but since it is so new i would highly reccomend taking it back under warranty so you dont accidentaly void it in trying to fix it yourself.

if they dont fix it get mad and demand them to. that is their fault and its their responsibility to fix it.

#17 ·
Well, I tried that...And now...I have no fog lights LOL
Both are not working now instead of just the one... (I did it twice to make sure everything was back in place)
I wonder if TIPM issues are covered under the powertrain warranty that is on my truck until 100,000km?
Likely not!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.