DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Rep:26
boostedgta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
A straight through muffler (magnaflow, dynomax, etc) will give you more of that "crackle" upon decel sound as compared to a chambered muffler (flowmaster, stock, etc). They are also typically quieter at idle/low throttle and only loud upon heavy throttle and higher rpm. Resonance can become an issue though at low rpm/heavy load. But this is true of all free flowing mufflers.
Like the dynomax race bullet muffler?
Old 11-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Dakota Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
FrenicX is on a distinguished road

I'm going to be honest, the 4.7 sounds AMAZING with a Spintech SUV muffler. I love it, now I have a hemi and I truly miss the sound of the 4.7 with a spintech. It has the cackle you are talking about, a very very nice one, oh man I miss it. And it has a good classic sound without the "muffled" sound that mufflers like Magnaflow have. Flowmasters have a lot more cackle than the Magnaflows, the tinny cackle is an effect of a welded muffler for the most part.

But really, spintech all the way on the 4.7.

Last edited by FrenicX; 11-16-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Dakota Hemi
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
FrenicX is on a distinguished road

Here's my spintech on my 4.7, this was the 3" SI/SO SUV series muffler. Drone was practically non-existent in the cab.

Here's a Thrush chambered muffler 2.5" SI/SO (like flowmaster) on the same truck, 2.5" SI/SO 4.7 engine Also didn't have much drone.

And, just so you can see that the 4.7 sounds way better than the Hemi, here is the Spintech 3" SI/SO SUV muffler on my hemi engine some time after the swap, before I went to a borla. The spintech muffler is for sale by the way lol

Last edited by FrenicX; 11-16-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Like the dynomax race bullet muffler?
Well that is a straight through muffler but hat will be extremely loud. The more volume the muffler has the quieter it will be.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^you have a hemi in your dakota, that's awesome

The 4.7L does sound great. I put an aftermarket y pipe on my ram 4.7L and a 14" straight through muffler (no name brand) and it sounds amazing. I have just very slight drone at 70mph+. Here's a video from my cell phone(doesn't really pick up the full sound). It's actually significantly louder in person.

Thanksgiving weekend I'm redoing my whole exhaust. I'm getting rid of the cats, and swapping a 22" magnaflow muffler(y pipe inside), and it will all be SS and mandrel bent. It's all mandrel currently, but not all SS. I don't mind how loud my current setup is but I drive A LOT so even though the highway drone is minimal and not really an issue, it really can suck on those long drives where you have a headache or are hung over or whatever you know lol. I knew my truck was loud but didn't really understand until the wife and I switched vehicles one day and I heard the truck drive off, I honestly felt bad for my neighbors at that moment lol.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:39 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
^you have a hemi in your dakota, that's awesome

The 4.7L does sound great. I put an aftermarket y pipe on my ram 4.7L and a 14" straight through muffler (no name brand) and it sounds amazing. I have just very slight drone at 70mph+. Here's a video from my cell phone(doesn't really pick up the full sound). It's actually significantly louder in person.

Thanksgiving weekend I'm redoing my whole exhaust. I'm getting rid of the cats, and swapping a 22" magnaflow muffler(y pipe inside), and it will all be SS and mandrel bent. It's all mandrel currently, but not all SS. I don't mind how loud my current setup is but I drive A LOT so even though the highway drone is minimal and not really an issue, it really can suck on those long drives where you have a headache or are hung over or whatever you know lol. I knew my truck was loud but didn't really understand until the wife and I switched vehicles one day and I heard the truck drive off, I honestly felt bad for my neighbors at that moment lol.
Great feeling, eh?

Make sure you post up some pics and clips of this.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Hunter Green Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:86
endlive will become famous soon enough

i put a flowmaster super 44 on my 03 4.7 last year before the truck was totalled. it was SI/DO with 2 pipes out under the rear bumper. it took about 1,000 miles to fully break in but it was very aggressive sounding and had a nice deep pitch. i loved it.