DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Borla XR-1 Sportsman Muffler

43K views 94 replies 36 participants last post by  Forcepro 
#1 ·
Been doing alot of research between this forum and Google search and Youtube videos. And I came to the conclusion that the Mufflex system isn't what I am looking for as far as sound comes. So I have decided to try and replace my factory muffler with one from Borla, more specifically the Borla XR-1 Sportsman. I got the 15" Round XR-1 Muffler part #40085.

I contacted Borla to see what the difference was between their XR-1 Sportsman and their XR-1 Multicore was. They essentially told me the XR-1 Sportsman is going to be louder because it only has one core that is straight through.

So my plan is to replace my factory muffler with the Borla and weld a 3" inlet to 2.25" Dual Outlet Y-Pipe to the Borla so I can retain the factory duals.

I just ordered everything today, so I won't have it for a few days. Anyone foresee any issues I might run into with this setup? I can post pics and a video for anyone interested in the setup.

#3 ·
I've owned more than one borla CB in the past with nothing but extreme praise.

I've never heard/seen/read anything negative about a Borla exhaust.

You'll be wrapped.

Congrats.

#4 ·
Awesome. My truck is at the Exhaust Shop getting the muffler installed. I wanted it TIG Welded together (all the piping, y-pipe, and muffler is T-304 Stainless) and the Muffler assembly to be clamped back on like the factory muffler. I will take pictures when I get it home in a few hours. I will try to get a video with the truck parked in the grass, maybe the weather will be nice today.

I searched on Youtube to find videos of what my Borla Sportsman Muffler would sound like and I didn't find too many. I did find a Ram with dual Borla setup and headers, that one sounded very good. I think that one had the Pro-XS Mufflers though.

#9 ·
I like that brother!!!!

#13 ·
Where did you get the muffler from and I thought our stock pipes were 2.5? You said you got a 3 in and 2.25 out... Is that right? I just wanna be sure before I order the wrong stuff!! I hate to bite your style but that's one of the best sounding trucks( less headers) I have heard thus far!!!!!!

#14 · (Edited)
#22 ·
Install Price

I've been looking around the forums and youtube for a setup I like, and I have to say, you did it right. Your truck sounds amazing. Can I ask, how much did your muffler shop charge you to do the work? My guy here in Chicago says $100-150. He thinks that we could do 2 xr-1s if we wanted to.

#23 ·
I've been looking around the forums and youtube for a setup I like, and I have to say, you did it right. Your truck sounds amazing. Can I ask, how much did your muffler shop charge you to do the work? My guy here in Chicago says $100-150. He thinks that we could do 2 xr-1s if we wanted to.
Thank You! They charged me $150 for the welding and some stainless bar for the hanger. I asked them to fully TIG Weld it, so everything is stainless. Are you supplying all the parts (Muffler, Piping, Y-Pipe, Clamps) or just the muffler and they are supplying the piping?

#26 ·
Thank You! I am considering removing the resonators. I think at lower RPM's it will give it more sound.

I am providing the Muffler and Y Pipe since Jeremiah at Bullys hooked me up with a solid price, but the install guy is going to provide everything else. We spoke today and I say $100? He looks at me and goes, okay, but if its $150 will you care? Haha, i think he is covering his ass in case it takes him longer than he thought.
That price seems reasonable to me. Bully's carries the Borla XR-1 Mufflers?

#30 ·
I would love to hear this thing driving down the road or a drive by with all the combos like a wot pass or making it kick down. I'm so torn because this thing sounds so mean but the dod14m or the dodm80 sound good too and they are cheaper because I can install either myself. I think if I heard some driving clips of the borla I would be sold on it. Choosing my exhaust setup has been the most back and forth crap ever, lol!!! I cannot make up my mind....

#31 ·
I would love to hear this thing driving down the road or a drive by with all the combos like a wot pass or making it kick down. I'm so torn because this thing sounds so mean but the dod14m or the dodm80 sound good too and they are cheaper because I can install either myself. I think if I heard some driving clips of the borla I would be sold on it. Choosing my exhaust setup has been the most back and forth crap ever, lol!!! I cannot make up my mind....
This is the case for every mod on the truck (highlighted red).....lol

#32 ·
I put the borla on my Jeep and was not that impressed I wish it would have been a little deeper like your video. I'm going with the flowmaster on my Ram first time I've gone away from borla. Good sound though.

#57 ·
Just did this to my ram. Sounds awesome! Was cheap to do but still has that great borla sound. Highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good sound. I got the 3" in and 3" out borla sportsman XR-1 muffler from eBay, and a 3" to dual 2.5" Y pipe also from eBay. Everything fit great and my exhaust guy had no problems fitting it together.

#60 ·
Im thinking about doin true dual bola XR-1 sportsmen. I don't have factory duals.. would 2.5 or 2.25 be better for over all performance?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.