DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram – 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
AK Ram is on a distinguished road
Default Engine stall

My truck keeps dying. It is a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.2l Magnum gas engine with 140,000 miles on it. When I first bought it, it started and ran just fine for the first three or four days. I was away for a couple of weeks, came back, and the battery was dead. I jumped it, it started right up, the idle went right down and it died. I had the battery tested; it had a bad cell. It was a fairly new battery (approximately six months old). I put a new battery in it and it ran fine for about a month. During this time I noticed that when I started the truck the battery gauge would slowly creep up the about 14 amps as opposed to instantly going there as soon as I turned the key. I went away for a couple of weeks, came back, the battery was dead. I checked to see if anything had been left on. The only thing that had been left on was the wipers; I really don’t think that would do anything. I jumped it; it started right up. I let it run for about 20 minutes, shut it off, then when I went to restart it, it started right up then immediately died as soon as I let off the gas. When the truck is running it runs smooth. I have no idea what is going on.
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Has Internet Tourettes

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1693
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Unhook the negative battery terminal and place a volt meter between the cable and the post with the key off. If you're getting a power drain it'll show up.

If so check the hood light and/or unplug it and check the glove-box light.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT QC 4x4
Color: Mineral grey
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:109
Simple guy will become famous soon enoughSimple guy will become famous soon enough

I check for a parasitic draw with an ammeter. Take off the neg terminal with a multimeter/DVOM on amps touch the neg post with one lead and the cabled with the other. here is a how to video for this. he stops rambling at about 1:50

A bad rectifier is a commonly over looked culprit for parasitic draw.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:13 PM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:74
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

And when the power is lost due to a parasitic drain leading to low voltage, the computer (on OBD II's) gets all confused and it needs some running time to relearn things. Til then, the engine will have idle issues.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: white
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
TooPoorForHemi is on a distinguished road

If your alternator's resistor has blown you will get an overcharging system on the battery gauge but in fact it is not charging the battery at all. Well at least what I've learned from GM vehicles so not sure if this info is interchangeable amongst different makes.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:09 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT QC 4x4
Color: Mineral grey
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:109
Simple guy will become famous soon enoughSimple guy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
And when the power is lost due to a parasitic drain leading to low voltage, the computer (on OBD II's) gets all confused and it needs some running time to relearn things. Til then, the engine will have idle issues.
You know I didn't even think about that. brain fart i guess it's just like it had the battery disconnected and the computer has to go through it's sensor relearn.