DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Anybody own one yet?

26K views 95 replies 46 participants last post by  Jaxyaks 
#1 ·
What's your first impressions?

#7 ·
so im guessing the 6.4 is an option now in the 2014 rams??? i never even knew this

what are the power specs on it? I'm sure it toned down from the chargers 470/470... but that sure would be sweet

#10 ·
I've got one. Put about 1k miles on it. Awesome truck and yes there is a definite advantage over the 5.7 in the 2500. A lot of people test drive the 5.7 1500 and then the 6.4 2500. Basically the 6.4 now makes the 2500 feel as powerful as a 1500 with the 5.7 if that makes sense. It's a beast of a truck and hauls butt when you get on it. HP is down about 60hp from the srt version but its built for reliabilty and longetivity. I've got the crew cab 6.4 in bed, 4.10 gears and 4x4 and its my daily driver.

#11 ·
I'm at 1200 miles on my 6.4 with 4.10 gear 4x2 and have enjoyed every mile. This is my first gas powered truck as I've always owned diesels. I don't miss the cummins yet.... but we'll see after I hook up to my fifth wheel. No complaints on MPG either, gets same or better than my old 6.7. Has plenty of low end, but of course being a gasser will downshift and rev higher earlier on heavy throttle input. I'd like to see a torque curve comparison vs. the 5.7.

#23 ·
It's been awhile since I've been on this forum, almost forgot about it until I seen it searching for 6.4 hemi hds on net but I got one about two weeks ago the megacab, I like it a lot better than my 2011 3/4 ton 5.7 smoother ride and better mpg

#25 ·
Can someone tell me what they are getting for mileage on the 6.4 hemi? I have a 1500 with a 5.7 and never seem to get much better then 10 mpg regardless if I am towing or not.

I am toying with upgrading to a 3/4 but don't want to loose the power my 5.7 gives me with my 1500, but am concerned a 6.4 will get even worse mileage.

#27 ·
New member posting for the first time. I picked up a 2500 Longhorn sb crew 4x4 about 2 weeks ago. It's mono black with black cattle tan interior and has the practical goodies such as built in 5th/goose mounts, brake control, auxillary switches and 220amp alternator.

The truck is my office in the oilfield in northern Canada. Can't say enough good things about the 6.4. The torque this engine makes is noticable all over the band. Like the fellow above, 15mpg is easy to get on the highway although in the field I'm idling most of the day when it's cold so overall mileage is never good for me. This is also the reason I don't go with a diesel. They just don't like idling without causing problems in the cold weather.

The truck still rides like a 3/4 even with the coils but it's smoother, if that makes sense. The cab is very quiet and they've obviously corked the sounds from the 6.4 as best they can but you still hear a bit of SRT in it when you wind it up. It's a great sounding truck. When you start it the babble from the mufflers is quieter then the 2012 5.7 1500 I traded in but you can tell this thing has some serious compression.

I was on the fence between a 2500 or 3500 but was instantly sold on the 2500 when I found out the 6.4 version of a 2500 bumps the GVW to 10,000lbs. This gives the truck a 3,000lb +/- payload so hitch weight becomes a near non issue when hooking things up to it.

I wanted the 4.10 gears and was going to order one but after I drove it the 3.73 was not an issue for me. The truck was equiped exactly as I wanted otherwise so I took it.

I'd guess that these 6.4's will become a tuners dream.

IMHO, the 6.4 Ram is a beast and a great compromise between the 5.7 and the 6.7.

#28 ·
I finally got some warmer temps plus added break in miles, so I'm getting 17-19 highway now according to the EVIC. The last time I hand calculated it was within .5 so I'm pretty stoked about fuel economy. Mine is a cc 4x4 with 4:10's. Open road mpg is almost as good as my 12' sbsc 2x4 with 3:55's. The city mpg is a bit harsher though. It takes a lot more fuel to get this monster rolling.....

#30 ·
Kinda like the PC.. you want the fastest one at the time, to stay up with all the modern tech.......
I ordered one yesterday, 6.4 bed, Laramie , 6.4 engine, 4:10 Axle, locking Axle. 2" level kit done at the dealer, I hate having the nose in the ground, They look better being level and your set up to put larger wheels and tires on...if you'd like. Also No grandma step. Really wanted a Power wagon but Ried Bigland the man over Ram is dragging his feet. Whats to get the 1500's out to the city boys 1st.....Bigger market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.