DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Cleaning the outside of the engine?

6K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  primo spaghetti 
#1 ·
I took my truck for a wash today but didn't look under the hood, last time I did I noticed a bit of dust though.

I used to work as a detailer and it was common practice there to spray down the engine with degreaser then hose it off. Always seemed a little odd to me. This was on brand new vehicles too.

My question is whether it's alright to do this or not. When I take it for a wash would I do any damage by popping the hood and spraying the dust off?

#2 ·
I took my truck for a wash today but didn't look under the hood, last time I did I noticed a bit of dust though.

I used to work as a detailer and it was common practice there to spray down the engine with degreaser then hose it off. Always seemed a little odd to me. This was on brand new vehicles too.

My question is whether it's alright to do this or not. When I take it for a wash would I do any damage by popping the hood and spraying the dust off?
Every second wash, I open the hood and spray down the whole engine bay on the soap cycle and then close the hood, I've been doing this for years, my buddies that like to call me anal, when they open the hood and see the engine, it's usually "Holy F*##K", how do you keep your engine looking so new?

Conclusion: Case closed. :thk:

#5 ·
I've done this with every vehicle I've owned to date, use a little discretion though, don't hold the power washer an inch from your spark plug boots or blast your ignition coils at close distance, I found the key is to start doing light washes right from the get-go after buying your vehicle and continue, like I said every second wash in my case, then nothing accumulates dirt or grease wise.

#4 ·
I see people using WD-40 under their hood a lot, but it collects dust like a magnet

Under my hood i have granules of sand, as well as dust everywhere, i drive in the desert a lot, both on paved & unpaved roads
I could use my air compressor to blow the heavy stuff off, but i don't think i want to use a foaming engine cleaner & then a water hose with a spray nozzle to wash it off.
I used that on my 1956 chevy 1/2 ton, but it didn't have computers & sensors everywhere

I will be watching this thread with interest

#10 ·
As a precaution and with a cold engine I cover the battery, alternator and other principal exposed electrical components and spray a light spray with my garden hose at home to get accumulated dust off. No need to use a de-greaser unless it is really dirty and greasy.

#13 ·
A leaf blower does wonders for pushing out any standing water left in the cracks and crevices. On a cold motor I use a simple green mist, let sit for about 5 - 10 minutes lightly spraying water every few minutes so it doesn't dry. Then I hose everything off and fire up my leaf blower to dry the engine and bay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.