DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1996 Indy Ram and 1997-1998 SS/T Information

63K views 65 replies 30 participants last post by  tomjonesBT33 
#1 ·
There was a thread started on another Dodge truck forum that has been informative about 1996 Indy Rams and 1997-1998 Ram SS/T pickups. There isn't much information out there about the Indy's or SS/T's. I thought I'd share what I know along with things I learned. Maybe we can figure out a few more things about these trucks.

The only configuration available was a regular cab, shortbed, 2wd. The Indy Rams were built in 1996. It came in blue with white stripes. I assume the Indy Rams were pretty much identical (except color) to the SS/T, which I know more about.

The SS/T was built in 1997 and 1998. They were offered in black, red, and emerald green all with silver stripes and white with blue stripes. I pulled out my window sticker and it says the 1998 SS/T had a 250 horse/345 ft. lb. power rating from the factory. I've been told that the Indy and 1997 SS/T were rated at 245 horsepower. I always understood that all SS/T's and Indy's came with the SLT package minus the parts that were upgraded with the SS/T package. The 5.9 Magnum with the automatic transmission was the only drivetrain offered in an SS/T. I asked about a manual transmission option and was told that the 5.9 Magnum wasn't ever offered with one in any truck. The 1998 SS/T benefited from the 1998 dash and exterior mirror redesign.

According to my window sticker, the SS/T package ($1380 option) included:
-body color front bumper and grill
-rear valance panel
-fog lamps
-275/60R17 Goodyears
-17" x 9" aluminum wheels
-sport tuned exhaust
-tape stripes

Here is my window sticker:

Here are a few things I learned from that thread:

As far as being an original Indy or SS/T. One way of telling is by looking on the under side of the hood by where the latch is. It will have a 2 color paint code. I don't know what code the SS/T package is but if its a real Indy it will also have the option code AGJ on the same sticker under the hood.
I never knew my truck had two paint codes. I had to go look. I wonder why it has two paint codes since the silver is a decal. Mine doesn't have the AGJ trim code. My 1998 SS/T has a trim code of DPC3. I assume that denotes it being an SS/T.

There are 2 paints codes needed for both the Indy & the SST cause you have to match the painted grille to the vinyl strippes that are on the hood, roof & tailgate.

Indy paint codes are
PCH primary, QCH secondary
According to a couple guys, the grill stripes are painted on for the Indy Rams. I looked at my SS/T's grill and the stripes are decals like on the rest of the truck.

My black SS/T's paint codes are PX8 (black) and QA8 (silver). The stripes on a black, emerald, and red SS/T are all silver so I would assume that their secondary paint code would be QA8. I don't know the paint codes on the other colors.

Please post up any information you know or correct me where I'm wrong.

See less See more
#36 ·
I don't know what the paint code is for the green, but there should be a label under your hood near the latch. It will show the primary color and secondary (stripe) color.

#37 ·
do like I did for the wifes Bee...take it to the dealer (body shop) and they can do it. Picked up some detonator yellow for free.

#38 ·
Walker/Dynomax was the manufacturer of the original exhaust from the cat back and it was a 2.5". For a nice little upgrade swap out your front bumper and grill for those of a 99 sport model. I'll have to take new pics of my SS/T this weekend. Some how the folder with all the pics of my truck disappeared.

#39 ·
#40 ·
I have been meaning to measure my stripes just incase I ever repaint my truck.

Grill
Top Stripe - Top=11" Bottom=10 15/16"
Middle Stripe=11"
Bottom Stripe=11"

Hood
Front=11"
Back=11 11/16"
Space
Front=5 7/8"
Back=6 3/16"

Roof
Front=11 7/8"
Back=11 3/4"
Space
Front=6 3/8"
Back=6 3/8"

Tailgate
Stripe=11 25/32"
Space=6 1/16"

Front SS/T
S to edge=5/8"
T to edge=11/32"
Bottom to front edge=19/32"

Rear SS/T
S to edge=31/32"
T to edge=3/4"
Top to crease=3/8"
Bottom to crease=8"

Rear Dodge
2 1/16" tall
Bottom of D to tailgate edge=26/32"
Bottom of E to stripe=13/16"

Door Ram 1500 V8
1 27/32" tall
Bottom to crease=1 1/8"
Bottom of R to door edge=2 15/32"

#42 ·
Are you talking about the ones on this truck?

I believe it was a dealer add on from the Mopar catalog. They pressured me to put a set on my truck when I bought it. I wasn't fond of the look then and like it even less now.

#46 ·
5k over!? wow no. I have a 98 SS/T my dad bought it in 2001 as the second owner for $10,295 with only 15,678 miles on it. I love my truck too death but I wouldnt have paid over the sticker price.. I mean yeah the performance is amazing im almost 18 and Its been mine for about a year now. I mean I lost control and wrecked it last winter showing off to the gf (the only damage was the bumper tho!) my buddy has a 94 svt lighting and my truck keeps up just fine. Ive only had a few problems with mine, the clear coat is coming off(typical for our year of trucks) and I have a bad bearing in my rear end so it whines like crazy i hear its common in our rear ends but its been this way for the past two years i plan on fixing it soon. I got a new bumper step bars and rear roll pan for christmas I just need to get the new plastic for the front bumper which is cost way to much in my opinon. I plan on getting 2" rear lowing shackles on it soon to even the stance and less body roll. I have so many questions about my truck bc I dont wanna screw it up since there are so few of them. I still have the window sticker at home yeah 18mpg my ass I get 10-12 when im lucky. I want to completely restore it. Its red with silver stripes. the thing has so much power to weight ratio I mean if the road is damp at all I can be going 35-40mph and hammer it and lose the rear end, its a amazing truck and Im glad to finally find some other owners. Ill try to upload some pictures soon but im at school right now. it was ordered with the cloth seats with every color in the ranbow black dash with the fake wood grain around all of the radio and gauge cluster but it has a tan head liner whitch shows any dirt at all i hate it. My dad had a flow master muffler with dual outlets put on it I plan on getting headers and running true duals all the way back with only performance cats bc i love the krackle it makes. Does anyone know where to get the stripe kit made for when I repaint it? I dont want to paint on the stripes I dont wanna look like some of the people in town that painted them on, the ones who try to race me thinking mines a fake... well im sure they can describe the roar of my sst fish tailing at take of and leaving their sorry ass's before we even get thru the intersection lmao. :LOL::smileup:

#48 ·
V10 sst 3500 1998

Anyone familiar with V10 mileage numbers? I expected bad but 7 around town and 6.5 pulling 30' fifthwheel. It's 4x4 extend cab with suicide doors in rear. Long bed, white, with blue strips. Weighs about 6700lbs. Dry. Original paint and its in real nice shape, 38,000 original miles. Leather seats, loaded up inside. Rear bench doesn't look sat in. It was kept inside much of its life and pulled a big off shore race boat. Roll up aluminum bed cover. It had one light rust spot about dime size in bed. I put rino lining sprayed in before fifthwheel hitch install so it's preserved real well now. Locked closed bed cover when not pulling trailer. Not complaining about mileage just wanting to compare. Not my daily driver. My 2009 R/T 6 speed Challenger also shares that duty, poor me. I sold my 2006 Ram Hemi 4x4 1500 short bed and purchased this 1 ton to pull new fifth wheel trailer. It's one hell of a tuff ass truck. Had a 3/4 ton 4x4 Ram 1995 years ago, pulling big travel trailer. It was a 360. Good truck but under powered for towing. My first Ram a 4x4 1500 1985. Also a great pickup.
Thanks, JP

#53 ·
got my build sheet back from dodge

Hey i got my build sheet back today they they did it with me not being registered owner i just picked this truck up so i have a lot of work ahead of me first off pulling the trans and having a friend who retired from aamco rebuild it couldnt find the tag under the seat that said sst on found build codes this truck is a rust free florida truck

According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory
with the following:

VIN 1B7HC16Z7WS558642
Vehicle Description DODGE RAM 1500 PICKUP
Model Year 1998
Body Model BR 1 L 61
Color PX8A- Black Clear Coat
Sales Code Description
*R1 Premium Cloth 40/20/40 Bench Seat
-C3 Mist Gray
ADAP Light Group
ADJ Heavy Duty Service Group
AGL Super Sport Group (SS/T)
AHC Trailer Tow Group
AJKP Convenience Group
AJPP Power Convenience Group
AMRS Storage Group - Behind Seat, Modular
APAS Monotone Paint
ASPP SLT Decor Group
AWK Travel Convenience Group
A07P #7 Engineering Development Zone
BAZP 136 Amp Alternator
BCQP 750 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BGK 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes
BKAS 11x2 Rear Drum Brakes
CBEP 40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
CGDS Front Height Adjust Shoulder Belts
CGWS Next Generation Front Air Bags**
CGZS Passenger Air Bag On/Off Switch
CHEP Deluxe Headliner
CKEP Front Seat Area Carpet
CLAP Front Floor Mats
CSPS Passenger Assist Handle
CSRP Passenger Assist Handles
CUNP Overhead Console w/Temp & Compass
CUVP Behind Seat Modular Storage System
CUYP Storage Tray
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGTS 4-Spd. Automatic 46RE Transmission
DHAP Lock-Up Torque Converter
DMDP 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRBP Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle
DSA Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines
EAGC All Gas Engine
EML 5.9L V8 MPI Engine
GACS Tinted Glass Windows
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GFD Rear Sliding Window
GNCP Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
GNKP Rear View Auto Dim Mirror
GTSP Power Heated Mirrors, Fold-Away
GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
HAAP Air Conditioning
HGAP Hood Insulation
HGBS Dash Liner Insulation
JAYP Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JJJS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JPAP Power Windows
JPBP Power Locks
KMAP SILVER - SS/T - DUAL STRIPE
KVAP RADIANT SILVER - DECAL
KWAP Radiant Silver - Badge - V8, Do
LAAP Ignition Time Delay Lamp
LBAP Map/Courtesy Lamp
LBCP Glove Box Lamp
LDAP Underhood Lamp
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LNJP Fog Lamps
LPES Cargo Lamp
MBPP Body Color Front Bumper
MBQ Body Color Rear Bumper w/Step Pads
MDA Front License Plate Bracket
MFHP Two-Tone Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MWDS Removable Tailgate w/Caliper Latches
MXBS Front Air Dam
MXCP Front Bumper Sight Shields
NAA Federal Emissions
NBKP EVAP Control System
NEAP Sport Tuned Exhaust w/Chrome Tip
NFWS 26 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHBP Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler
NHMP Speed Control
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
PX8A Black Clear Coat
QX8S Black Clear Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RAZ AM/FM Cassette Compact Disc Radio
RCEP Infinity Speakers
RDDP Fixed Long Mast Antenna
SBAS Variable Assist Power Steering
SCVP Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SFBS Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SGBS Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SUAP Tilt Steering Column
TBBS Full Size Spare Tire
TBMP Tire Carrier Winch
TXPP P275/60R17 BSW All Season Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WFJP 17" Aluminum Wheels
WLBP Steel Spare Wheel
WMCS Bright Wheel Trim Rings
WMJS Center Hub
XBSS Pickup Box
XCMS Vendor Painted Cargo Box
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

Attachments

#54 ·
I just bought an Indy ram and it has the 19 on the frame and the under hood sticker and it even has the plate under the passenger side seat, but when I gave dodge the vin for a build sheet it does not say Indy edition. It does however have everything on it. The really weird part is its says Canadian mkt. have anyone heard of this?

#55 ·
my 1996 Dodge ram indy pace truck of 50 made

I bought my truck off the lot at kittrey Maine I was going to the Kittery Trading Post to buy a new shotgun and just before me and my best friend got their about 10 minutes away I saw the truck on a rotating display and at that time I had never seen anything like it so I bribed my friend to stop by offering to buy dinner when I got their it took a hour ish to talk the owner of dealership to let me test drive it I had to go through a full credit check and it was the most amazing truck I have ever driven stock from the dealership I was told that they made 2 versions of it one out of 50 and one of 500 and that you had to put down $10,000 non refundable deposit for them to order it and the guy who ordered it declared bankruptcy before he got the truck and they got it the night before I asked what I could get for options because I wanted a matching bed flat cover and I was told that there are no options available for the truck they all 50 are identical except the #of 50 it was and if I wanted a cover or anything else I would have told get the one of 500 (so if it has a fiberglass bed cover it is most likely the 500 edition or someone who added it to a rare truck and decresed its value I remember after taking it for a drive and ill never forget when you hit the breaks that floored it the front wheels came off the ground about 6" and they had a factory defect with the cruise control if you had it set and came to full stop (happened on way home at tole booth I didn't have change so Ihhad to stop to pay I had it set on 110mph I was 22 years old ok so I just hit resume and insted of getting it to speed gradually like normal it took off and I left booth sideways and seemed like 3 seconds but it was more like 12-13 but was not expecting it)

#56 ·
#19 to MIDNIGHTPUMPKIN

Both the 1996 dodge ram indy pace truck's have the numbers but remember that they made 2 versions of the truck 1/50 &1/500 the 50 is the pace truck and the 500 is a special stickier edition with the upgrades like the edition of 50 but you could get different options for it and both are numbered I will bet if you do some research it is a low number of the 500 trucks they cost 1/3rd of the price of the 50 edition trucks I remember the dealer saying they shipped 1 to every state except Alaska and Hawaii and I put down $8,000 on truck and get a discount of $6,000 off price (because dealership kept $4,000 of 10,000 original person put up front over a year in advance to pay for ordering it non refundable and my payments were $675.00 a month for 6 years)

#60 ·
Both the 1996 dodge ram indy pace truck's have the numbers but remember that they made 2 versions of the truck 1/50 &1/500 the 50 is the pace truck and the 500 is a special stickier edition with the upgrades like the edition of 50 but you could get different options for it and both are numbered I will bet if you do some research it is a low number of the 500 trucks they cost 1/3rd of the price of the 50 edition trucks I remember the dealer saying they shipped 1 to every state except Alaska and Hawaii and I put down $8,000 on truck and get a discount of $6,000 off price (because dealership kept $4,000 of 10,000 original person put up front over a year in advance to pay for ordering it non refundable and my payments were $675.00 a month for 6 years)
They made a lot more than 500 of them. The commonly accepted number has been 2802 for years, but I recently had correspondence from someone at Chrysler who told me there were 3212 made and of those, 361 went to Canada.
The only ones that were numbered were at the track and had and orange number on the back window. They were not pace trucks but were support vehicles at the track. The pace car that year was the viper GTS in the same colors.

#57 ·
My BUILD SHEET

Dear Josh,

Thank you for contacting the RAM Customer Assistance Center in regards
to your 1998 RAM 1500.

We are pleased to provide vehicle build information per your request.

According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory
with the following:

Sales Code Description
*R1 Premium Cloth 40/20/40 Bench Seat
-AZ Agate
ADAP Light Group
ADJ Heavy Duty Service Group
AGL Super Sport Group (SS/T)
AJKP Convenience Group
AJPP Power Convenience Group
AMRS Storage Group - Behind Seat, Modular
APAS Monotone Paint
ASPP SLT Decor Group
AWK Travel Convenience Group
A07P #7 Engineering Development Zone
BAZP 136 Amp Alternator
BCQP 750 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BGJS Pwr Disc/Drum Rr Anti-Lock Brakes
BKAS 11x2 Rear Drum Brakes
CBEP 40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
CGDS Front Height Adjust Shoulder Belts
CGWS Next Generation Front Air Bags**
CGZS Passenger Air Bag On/Off Switch
CHEP Deluxe Headliner
CKEP Front Seat Area Carpet
CLAP Front Floor Mats
CSPS Passenger Assist Handle
CSRP Passenger Assist Handles
CUNP Overhead Console w/Temp & Compass
CUVP Behind Seat Modular Storage System
CUYP Storage Tray
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGTS 4-Spd. Automatic 46RE Transmission
DHAP Lock-Up Torque Converter
DMH 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
DRBP Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle
DSA Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines
EAGC All Gas Engine
EML 5.9L V8 MPI Engine
GACS Tinted Glass Windows
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GFD Rear Sliding Window
GNCP Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
GNKP Rear View Auto Dim Mirror
GTSP Power Heated Mirrors, Fold-Away
GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
GXM Remote Keyless Entry
HAAP Air Conditioning
HGAP Hood Insulation
HGBS Dash Liner Insulation
JAYP Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JJJS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JPAP Power Windows
JPBP Power Locks
JPS Power 6-Way Driver Seat
JRDP Power Driver Seat
KMAP SILVER - SS/T - DUAL STRIPE
KVAP RADIANT SILVER - DECAL
KWAP Radiant Silver - Badge - V8, Do
LAAP Ignition Time Delay Lamp
LBAP Map/Courtesy Lamp
LBCP Glove Box Lamp
LDAP Underhood Lamp
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LNJP Fog Lamps
LPES Cargo Lamp
LSA Security Alarm
MBPP Body Color Front Bumper
MBQ Body Color Rear Bumper w/Step Pads
MDAP Front License Plate Bracket
MFHP Two-Tone Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MWDS Removable Tailgate w/Caliper Latches
MXBS Front Air Dam
MXCP Front Bumper Sight Shields
NAA Federal Emissions
NBKP EVAP Control System
NEAP Sport Tuned Exhaust w/Chrome Tip
NFWS 26 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHBP Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler
NHMP Speed Control
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
PX8A Black Clear Coat
QX8S Black Clear Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RAZ AM/FM Cassette Compact Disc Radio
RCEP Infinity Speakers
RDDP Fixed Long Mast Antenna
SBAS Variable Assist Power Steering
SCVP Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SFBS Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SGBS Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SUAP Tilt Steering Column
TBBS Full Size Spare Tire
TBMP Tire Carrier Winch
TXPP P275/60R17 BSW All Season Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WFJP 17" Aluminum Wheels
WLBP Steel Spare Wheel
XBSS Pickup Box
XCMS Vendor Painted Cargo Box
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

Thank you again for your email. Should you require additional
assistance, or have any new information to provide, please reply to this
email message or call 1-866-RAM-INFO (1-866-726-4636).

Sincerely,

Jennifer

#66 ·
Folks - I’m looking at buying a ‘96 Indy truck. The VIN is 1B7HC16Z7TS710477. It has #19 plates on both the driver and passenger sides of the frame. The paint code is PCH. Date of manufacture is Apr ‘96.

Reasons I’m not 100% convinced is legit is the front bumper does not have air dams and fog lights. It’s solid across the front. And a VIN lookup on dodgeforum.com lists the HP as 230hp, not 245hp like I would expect.

Thoughts/comments are appreciated.