DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Brushguard trouble.

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  erm 
#1 ·
Heya folks,

I finally got my BAKflip F-1 and Black Horse brush guard for my 2011 1500 Outdoorsman. Started out the day full of excitement as my son and I headed out to the front yard to mount the brush guard. The joy came crashing down when I got stuck on the VERY first piece I tried to remove!:sad:

I have the tow hooks that came already installed and I spent a good 45 minutes just trying to remove a bolt that held them in place. Is this not something I can do with average tool sets or am I gonna need to head to the auto shop and rent a stall? Or is there a tool I can go buy tomorrow to do this myself in my driveway?

On a plus note, I got the BAKflip installed and it looks pretty good. As much as I just want to say; "OMG I LUV IT SOOOOOOOO MUCH!"....I can't. It's JUST barely long enough to cover the length of the bed. Every time I open and close it something shifts that I need to make slight handpowered adjustments to. And there is some kind of odd color streak on one of the panels that looks like someone wiped it with a solvent that ate some clearcoat or something.

#3 ·
some breakfree or other penetrating oil and a good size breaker bar? I always keep a few cans of PB fluid in the garage. Im not sure what the clearances are that ur working with but tractor supply has some decent inexpensive breaker bars.

#4 ·
Awesome, thanks! One question though...is there any way to determine the EXACT size socket I need or is it completely a try until I get a decent fit kinda thing? I think the best fitting one I used was a 9/16, but I still felt it slipping, so I switched off to my Vice-Grips. Those held better but just couldn't get enough torque on it...even with smackin the hell outta it with a rubber hammer.:LOL:

#6 ·
What a humbling experience this has been!:sad:

So I bought a breaker bar and a new set of sockets to fit it. I also had the foresight to buy an adapter to use the new sockets on my old ratchet. Got them all home and none of the new sockets fit the bolt. The 19mm one from my old set works though, as I was able to get a bolt from the passenger side tow hook loosened up, with assistance from a hammer. (On a side note, I broke the rubber mallet I WAS using.) Once I figured out the 19mm socket was the one to use, I went back to the driver side tow hook I had worked on the other day with no dice as I must have stripped it enough with the Vice-Grips:i_rolleyes:. I then went back to the passenger side tow hook and tried to get one of the other bolts loose with no luck and out of fear of stripping another one, I quit.

While we were out yesterday I also picked up one of them pretty Ram Logo trailer hitch covers that acts as another brake light. The thinking was, maybe I could get my man card back...I still ain't got it back.:i_redface:

I decided I didn't want the cable to run in front of the bumper so I tried to run it through the little gap near the bottom left corner of the license plate. It didn't fit and I remembered someone saying you may have to cut a small notch to run the wires through there. I busted out my trusty Dremel and began EVER so slightly making the notch bigger until it JUST barely allowed the plug to fit through. I ran it through and went to plug it in and......wires not long enough. I know I could get an extension, but that isn't a look I want either.

Me-0 / Black Betty-1:box:

And now there's a new rule in my house...if I don't already KNOW how to do it...I pay someone else to do it for me.

#8 ·
So sorry to hear about all the problems you are having. I actually added the mopar tow hooks to mine and had no problems. The bolts are torqued up to 130 ft lbs. I also have a lighted hitch cover however I did not use the trailer wiring as there is a single capped wire up under the spare that allows you to tap into the centre high mounted brake circuit. I bought a standard 4 pin trailer wire and wired into that. With this method the light will only come on with the brake. Hope you can get this sorted out.

#9 ·
If you have a autozone or any parts store they have sockets that is universal , the one i got was called a gator for situations like yours . Also as a rule on something that is torqued down use a 6 point socket only . You might try and step down one hlaf size , basically a standard socket , it will be very tight and you might have to beat it on there but it will go. GOODLUCK!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.