DODGE RAM FORUM banner

K&n cai!

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  platinuminjected 
#1 ·
Finally got the money and ordered a K&N CAI. got it the next day and put it on that night. it only took an hour and a half and the instructions were easy to follow. the only thing i didnt like about it was that i had to cut and splice my wires to the air sensor because they werent long enough. right away as i was backing out of the shed i could tell the difference in the motor. it helped a ton on the throttle response and regular driving down the road. before the CAI my truck would down shift ALOT while driving down the highway and now it hardly ever does it anymore. i havent been able to run a full tank of fuel through my truck yet to check mpg but i will let everyone know what i get when i get a tank ran through it. i will get pictures up as soon as i can.

#5 ·
thanks everyone and i was getting 12mpg before and it seems like its getting better mpg just by the rpms im at when driving. there isnt a noticeable change in sound at idle but there might be a small one but i had straigh pipes true duels so i dont know if it would really change any sound. i havent had it at wide open throttle yet but i will soon and let you know. the whole kit was $320 and it is well worth the money. it got rid of all the lag in the throttle when you get on it

#8 ·
I added one and love it too! I ran into the same issue with the air sensor. I relocated the air sensor instead of splicing the sensor wires. I'm surprised K&N has let that issue slip by, they are usually pretty good about that stuff. All they would have to do is indicate a different location on the air tube to drill the hole.

Anyone about to install one on a 4.7 contact me first and I'll steer you clear of that mistake.

#17 ·
i saw that you said it doesnt downshift a lot anymore... did anyone else notice this? mine downshifts a lot and i was looking in to seeing how i could change that
An intake and will cut down on the down shifting quite a bit, especially when paired w/ an exhaust!

With just an intake I didn't notice much change in shifting, but I did notice a big change in engine sound when (what I assume to be) the torque convertor unlocked while going uphill.

After I added custom exhaust I would agree with less downshifting and also the torque convertor doesn't seem to need to unlock as much.

#13 ·
Every mod I add makes my foot heavier, I doubt I'll ever see the promised mpg gains of the exhaust, the cia, the programmer, the electric fan, etc, etc. Besides if I gained what those companies claim I'd be getting 23 mpgs or more.

#16 ·
Putting the K&N intake on my truck got me about 1 mile per gal more then before, i feel like it added a little something to the motor.

#18 ·
congrats on the mod but wheres the pics???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.