DODGE RAM FORUM banner

VOLANT CAI KIT versus K&N

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  cole3986 
#1 ·
:repost:I know this has been beat and beaten again but I’m getting to hate the noise of the K&N on my truck at or around FT. Looking for anyone that has or does run the Volant on their Ram Hemi and can give input to compare the two before I make any changes to my system. I would probably modify it some as to not use the BIG AIR BOX at the TB just tube from filter box to TB. Yes I am looking for input on this idea I really don’t like how loud the CAI gets, but I still want it to breath.:icon_bump:
Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
dont like the music from the cai?

rap the tube in the heat exhaust strap that is sold in a 2" wide roll. makes a big diff in sound and keeps the heat soak at bay. its what i did to my cai system

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks I'll try that; will go get some when I leave work early today. I do think the K&N works well and no need to spend more than I have to, getting the noise down was all I wanted. Thanks again

#4 ·
kan cai works well it has to be tuned

buy diablo tuner, with tune and cai i gained around 35hp

#5 ·
I heard that wrapping the intake tube is not a good idea. It is supposed to be worse then leaving it the way it is. I forget what the reason is behind it but I know theres something haha.

Also I believe with any CAI you will get the same amount of noise. You are just bringing more air into the motor which is making it breath a lot better.

#6 ·
I've wrapped all my intake tubes & sometimes the entire box to insulate the incoming cold air from the engine heat soak. I can touch the TB to know it has cooled the incoming air.

#7 ·
There's virtually no difference during normal driving with the Volant. It's a little more aggressive during acceleration and very noticeable @ WOT (nice deep growl!) but you'll hardly be able to tell a difference at speed around town or on the highway.

Volant's tubes are a pretty thick ABS plastic which doesn't 'ring'/resonate nearly as much as the polished SS versions do.

#10 ·
Ive had an airraid on a 4.7 dakota and a 4.0 tj and felt that it was just as good as anyother cai my friends/family have had and its usually cheaper than some bigger names id suggest it

#12 ·
I have the K&N 63 series and I love it the deep sound, that combined with the flowmaster exhaust, and the diablo which come monday/tuesday i love how it all works together and look forward to adding the diablo. Speed is right with the diablo/exhaust/CAI combo you will see 35-45+ depenmding on how far you go with the custom tuning and what not, if you look around some threads and on the web you will find a few Dyno charts and the gains are pretty decent. I've notice the change from exhaust to exhaust and intake both in power and mpg little mind you nothing major but there and from what i have read and talked to people about the diablo really kicks it up a notch on any of the 87-89-91-93 tunes,, just my opinion really,,,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.