DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2013 Ram Interior Lighting Questions Answered

31K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  BCN0783 
#1 · (Edited)
I put this in here since it is specific to the 2013 Ram. I had previously started toying with the interior lights but when I realized there was a different configuration for this year, I backed off and asked.

I had posted a question about replacing the LED's in the exterior and interior lighting section of the forum and had not received a reply (that worked) after bumping it a couple times.

Unfortunately, the book for the 2013 Rams has not been updated with current information. It's a nice day so I decided to have another look. Here is what I found. You may not like it.

The front map light bulbs are pretty strange looking and they are behind chrome painted plastic pieces. To get the bulb out you have to remove the chrome pieces and by the looks of it, there is no way to get them back on.

This pic is a new light on the left and the chrome plastic piece still affixed on the right.

Lights on: new on left, old on right.

Chrome housing (top) and old bulb (bottom).

Lights off (sorry about the reflection, sunny day and I'm not complaining).

Lights on.

The light in the back seat of the truck is affixed to an approximately 2"x4" circuit board. There is a bulb that is part of the board. There is no changing this bulb without changing the board. I tried to take a picture of it but it is a very tight space and I did not feel like further disassembling it since I cannot swap it out.

So for now, I will have blues in front with no chrome piece in front of the bulb. Still have white light in the back. The rear lights in the Challenger aren't user configurable either, similar to the LEDs near your feet in the back of the Ram. We have blue in front and white in rear in that car too and it still looks great.

The bulbs that I had, which thankfully worked are part number 921-B9 (wedge base, 9 LED bulb) from superbrightleds.com. There is no issue with them not turning off when they are supposed to so no resistor should be needed.

Hope this helps. :smileup:

See less See more
#2 ·
So does the new LED prevent the chrome insert from seating? If so, couldn't you drill a hole in the reflector to allow the LED head to pass through? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to understand the insert.

#3 ·
No, it's more like the plastic piece holding the chrome piece mushrooms out once the chrome piece is seated, so to get it back on you would have to get the chrome piece back over the cap of the mushroom and there is NO give in the chrome piece. I think you are essentially breaking it to get it off of there. Hope that makes sense the way I explained it.

#6 ·
No, it's more like the plastic piece holding the chrome piece mushrooms out once the chrome piece is seated, so to get it back on you would have to get the chrome piece back over the cap of the mushroom and there is NO give in the chrome piece. I think you are essentially breaking it to get it off of there. Hope that makes sense the way I explained it.
Yep, makes sense, thanks.

#4 ·
Night shot. Pretty bright little lights!

Reactions: HorseMan
#8 ·
Map and Dome Lights

The LED lights I bought for my map lights and dome light are the same size as the factory bulbs. There is no way to change the bulb without breaking off the chrome piece? There has to be a way, I toyed with the chrome piece but was to scared to break it.
Any new info on this??

#9 ·
2013 Outdoorsman (Crew Cab)

I just poped off the plastic covers and replaced the OEM bulbs with the new LED lights. Every thing was plug & play and the LED lights were very bright. I ordered the blue LED lights.

I replaced my 2 map lights with (921 LED Bulb - 12 Wide Angle LED Mini Wedge Base) https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...lb-12-wide-angle-led-mini-wedge-base/203/904/

I replaced my dome light with (3710 LED Bulb - 6 SMD LED Festoon) https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...lbs/3710-led-bulb-6-smd-led-festoon/661/1139/

Greg

#10 ·
2013 Outdoorsman (Crew Cab)

I just poped off the plastic covers and replaced the OEM bulbs with the new LED lights. Every thing was plug & play and the LED lights were very bright. I ordered the blue LED lights.

I replaced my 2 map lights with (921 LED Bulb - 12 Wide Angle LED Mini Wedge Base) https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...lb-12-wide-angle-led-mini-wedge-base/203/904/

I replaced my dome light with (3710 LED Bulb - 6 SMD LED Festoon) https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...lbs/3710-led-bulb-6-smd-led-festoon/661/1139/

Greg
This thread really bummed me out until i read this. Now i need to tear in to mine to see what kind of luck i'll have.

I dont have the overhead console, need to buy one. So my only light is the dome, and it SUCKS. LED upgrade is a must.

#11 ·
Ram Interior map lights

Hi to all, new to the forum, but have owned many Rams. If I can add to the end of this post regarding the front map lights and making them LED. If you follow the above post which is great and get to pulling the overhead light set down so you can see what is being talked about, there just afew more steps to adding the LEDs and keeping it stock looking. The 3 small plastic mushroom looking things that hold the trim thats mentioned just need to be cut off flush with a sharp knife or razor blade. After that both the trim and then the bulb under it will come right off. Then simply install your new LED bulb as shown. In order to reattach the trim, take a very small drill bit like a 1/16th and carefully drill a hole down the center of each of the plastic studs that remained after you cut off the tops and removed the trim and bulb panel. Then you just have to locate 3 very small sheet metal style screws (I used RC palne trim screws since they are small) and carefully screw them back in , thru the trim pc. holes to reattach to the 3 post. Be careful so you dont split the plastic post. Did mine, they look stock, are tight and work way better than stock. Hope this helps those with the 2013s and newer.

#23 ·
Hi to all, new to the forum, but have owned many Rams. If I can add to the end of this post regarding the front map lights and making them LED. If you follow the above post which is great and get to pulling the overhead light set down so you can see what is being talked about, there just afew more steps to adding the LEDs and keeping it stock looking. The 3 small plastic mushroom looking things that hold the trim thats mentioned just need to be cut off flush with a sharp knife or razor blade. After that both the trim and then the bulb under it will come right off. Then simply install your new LED bulb as shown. In order to reattach the trim, take a very small drill bit like a 1/16th and carefully drill a hole down the center of each of the plastic studs that remained after you cut off the tops and removed the trim and bulb panel. Then you just have to locate 3 very small sheet metal style screws (I used RC palne trim screws since they are small) and carefully screw them back in , thru the trim pc. holes to reattach to the 3 post. Be careful so you dont split the plastic post. Did mine, they look stock, are tight and work way better than stock. Hope this helps those with the 2013s and newer.

Steve201; I would like to thank you for your POST. I have been reading old threads trying to find information on intensifying my interior lights. Your POST was very informative.

____ Click HERE to see Photos of Jacks Toy.____
TruXedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover, Putco Crossrail Side Bed Rails, Two (2) DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N CAI, Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners, Husky Liners Mud Guards, DashMat Ultimat Dashboard Cover, AVS Windflector, AVS Bugflector II, WeatherTech Side Window Deflector, Cabin Air Filter, DRL Mod.

#12 ·
I had one of the LEDs quit working in my map lights. Dealer has to replace complete overhead console to replace the non-working LED!

#13 ·
i guess I'm confused but all the interior lighting is already LED, why would you want to change it?

I thought it was really really good stock

#14 ·
I was thinking the same thing. All of mine are LED and the doors have blue LEDs in them awesome look.

#15 ·
Of course you are right, they are already LED. However adding the new LED bulbs as I did, increased the light output and gave them the blueish look which many of us like. The stock LEDs are set to look closer to a standard bulb color. Sort of like changing out your stock halogen bulbs to HID. More light. As I said above, if you want to upgrade the fronts, follow the post and just finish it as I did and you will be a happy camper and the trim pc. will look totally stock Or leave as is.Yiur choice for sure..

#16 ·
You realize that human beings are most sensitive to blue lights and this will absolutely wreck your night vision when you turn them on, right? Better off with yellow/red lights in a vehicle for night time use...Sure they look cool, but functionality and safety...To each their own :)

#17 ·
This may seem like a dumb question, however I am new to modifying anything in a vehicle. I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Tradesman Express and I do not have the overhead console. All I have are the two lights that I need to press to turn on and the other small light that turns on when my lights and dash board lights are on. I love the look of the blue lights that you guys have posted; is there a way for me to change out this small light and install a blue LED light? Also, has anyone tried adding floor board lights?

#18 ·
I put this in here since it is specific to the 2013 Ram. I had previously started toying with the interior lights but when I realized there was a different configuration for this year, I backed off and asked.

I had posted a question about replacing the LED's in the exterior and interior lighting section of the forum and had not received a reply (that worked) after bumping it a couple times.

Unfortunately, the book for the 2013 Rams has not been updated with current information. It's a nice day so I decided to have another look. Here is what I found. You may not like it.

The front map light bulbs are pretty strange looking and they are behind chrome painted plastic pieces. To get the bulb out you have to remove the chrome pieces and by the looks of it, there is no way to get them back on.

This pic is a new light on the left and the chrome plastic piece still affixed on the right.

The bulbs that I had, which thankfully worked are part number 921-B9 (wedge base, 9 LED bulb) from superbrightleds.com. There is no issue with them not turning off when they are supposed to so no resistor should be needed.

Hope this helps. :smileup:

I really like what you did here with the interior lights and I really like the look of the blue. Is this something that a novice might be able to accomplish? Also, the small 'courtesy light' (as I call it) that is centered between the two lights, which stays on when the dash is turned on, can that be changed out as well for a blue light?

#21 ·
My driver side map light would not work so I searched the forum and found this thread.
K9ENDY - that is an excellent write up. Thank You.
stevev201 - your ideal of reusing the chrome strips with screws works perfectly.
I finished changing the map lights to blue and put everything back together and it looks like a factory install. I was going to leave my like K9 did with blue up front and leave the dome light alone. Well after awhile I could not just leave the dome light alone but on some Ram models the dome light is a smd led. I am going to be brave and take that sucker apart and see how to change the dome light to blue.

#28 ·
^^^ i'm curious as well. I have a 2014 and I put white led lights in all my cars (I find it gives the interior a richer and modern look.)

I'm coming across this exact problem. I pop off the plastic piece from the lights, but then the chrome piece is in the way. has anyone managed to change their 2013+ lights with the chrome housing to leds? I don't want to do just the front section and not the back.

PS. OP how did you manage to the chrome pieces out?

#29 ·
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie

Thank you all for the information in this threat. I've always like the look of the blue lights as well, and found a video online on how to change the map lights, which I wanted to do anyway since the drivers side was dim.

Once I popped the covers off, I found that the 2014 Laramie is nothing like the truck in the video, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to change the bulbs. The info here is exactly what I needed. Now I just have to order the correct bulbs since I ordered them before I took the overhead console apart.

This truck has so many interior lights. For the first week I was finding new lights every time I drove at night. Between the doors and the underside of the back seats I don't even know how many there are.

Thanks again for the info. I should have known I'd find what I wanted here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.