DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Hard shifting after cold start...?

16K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Lys4ever 
#1 ·
Okay, so I have the 2014 1500 QC with around 2500mi on it so far. Recently, even here in Arizona, we have been having some cold mornings (not compared to the rest of the country, but still cold to us, lol.) and after sitting over night, my truck seems to have a hard shift out of first gear into second. When I say hard shift, I mean it sort of jumps up in RPMs and then kicks into second, unlike any of the other gears. It typically only does this one time (the initial morning take-off) and then there isn't an issue at all afterwards.
Occasionally, if it is a colder day, it will do it mid-day, but rarely.

I know some of you will say, let it warm up and then drive, which I do. I let it idle until the RPMs drop down to the 7-800 range (usually 2-3mins) and then take off. I do not drive crazy and in my opinion I really baby the hell out of it first thing in the morning (at least until I've had my coffee, lol).

Has anyone else experience this or had there's into the tranny shop yet? I'm hoping this isn't a major issue and can be re-programmed or something as opposed to tearing out the guts to find the problem. Any input or advice is appreciated in advance. Thanks!

:wavey:

See less See more
#3 ·
I wouldn't say it is slipping at all, but more like I said...
A BIG jump in RPM's once the shift begins followed by a surge in power once second gear engages (due to the jump in RPMs).
I GUESS that could be considered a "slip".... ? It feels more like a computer issue to me, although I am BY NO MEANS a mechanic. LOL

#10 · (Edited)
Mine did this too. I just had the new tranny software put on last week. Seems to have smoothed out the 1-2 shift. I would have that happen randomly leaving the driveway in the morning and after work after the truck was sitting 8 hours or more. Only the first shift of the drive and randomly with very light acceleration. Like I said, haven't noticed it since I got the most recent tranny software update. Also great improvement with the 2-1 downshift coming to a stop light.
My dealer did the flash after I described the shift quality issues with little hassle.

#12 ·
Took it in...
They could not get it to re-produce the problem, since I had to warm it up by driving there, but I needed my service done anyways.
They checked for any available updates and mine is equipped with the most current, so they said as far as they can see, everything is normal.
I have been driving it like normal ever since, and I have noticed it getting a LITTLE better, but if it continues another 1000 miles, I'll leave it there overnight so they can see what I mean.
It is what it is for now I suppose...

#15 ·
Hesitation on up-shifts between 3rd and 4th....

Okay...I guess my truck is fitting in this category and pattern except mine does the same thing on the 3rd to 4th up-shift when cold! My Longhorn was built in April '15 and shifted beautifully until about 3,300 miles. Now when the transmission is cold it has a lousy hesitating up-shift between 3rd and 4th....very jerky. When the tranny is fully warmed up it is back to as smooth as butter. What's with this? The weather is colder now so maybe that is a factor, but this sucks! Shouldn't do it. Haven't taken it into the dealer yet as it just started this. Will a new valve body perhaps eliminate this issue? Is there a TSB our on this? Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

#18 ·
My 2014 RAM 1500 3.6/8 speed auto did same thing. They re-flashed it 3 or 4 times...still did it. Ended up putting 2 new valve banks in with fresh fluid each time. 2nd VB fixed problem. This cold flash shifting is a known problem My friends 14' Charger 3.6/8 speed was in the shop with same thing. They replaced the VB also, fixed the problem. Do not let the dealer blow you off, this a known fixable problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.