DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Plasti Dip tips and tricks??

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  padillavp 
#1 ·
Ok, I know there are some "Dip'n'" fools out there. Need some help. Did the center of my hood today. Got it taped off all nice and pretty, laid some newspaper down where I didn't want paint to go (although I did find that any over spray pretty much wiped right off) and away I went. Learned, yet again, NO WIND. Air was calm when I started taping off, but picked up steadily with a few gusts here and there. Timed my sprays with the few moments of nothing. But I got it done. With a few minor errors: I can see the passes that I made. (You can see them in the photo) It didn't come out smooth like a lot of others I've seen. May have something to do with the wind, I don't know. I did a few light coats. Used about half the can. Second, when I peeled the tape back, the paint wanted to come with it. I've been taught, pull the paint while it's wet. That way, the cured paint hasn't formed a bond over your tape edge. So anyway, my edges aren't crisp like I wanted. Even though I very LIGHTLY ran a razor blade down the length of the tape before I peeled it back. May re-tape and spray another few coats when it's not so windy... Any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated guys. We need a sticky devoted to Plasti-Dip...

See less See more
#5 ·
Cool. Thanks guys. Think I'm going to hose it off (neighbor was doing some landscaping and laid a nice coating of dust over the truck) re-tape and lay down another coat or two. Ideally nosed into the garage, if I can move enough crap out of the way.

The can I used WAS new. Although it had been sitting in the garage for over a year. But I will definitely try out the hot water trick. Once the hood is done, then comes custom rims and Cuda style billboard stripes on the sides.

#6 ·
Looks awesome, Byron. My advice is practice and practice. Learn by trial and error. Luckily, this stuff is cheap... unless you live in the great white north of Canadia.

Looking forward to seeing the Cuda style billboard stripes.

#8 ·
Looks awesome, Byron. My advice is practice and practice. Learn by trial and error. Luckily, this stuff is cheap... unless you live in the great white north of Canadia.

Looking forward to seeing the Cuda style billboard stripes.
Big roger on that stuff is 15-20 bucks a can here....:doh::LOL:

#13 ·
I agree with the sticky. Just hit the Home depot in Niagara Falls New York and cleaned them out of Plasti Dip. $5.87a can over there and $18 a can here That is insane. I bought the last 10 cans.
Walmart was already cleaned out. I think other Canucks have the same idea :)

#14 ·
Awesome video spoiler! Reps for that. That makes a lot of sense since it's a rubberized paint. It's GOING to want to form a layer over the tape and peel off. I'll definitely re-tape and re-spray over what I have already. As said before, nosed into the garage so there's no wind. I think the wind had a little to do with the texture I ended up with. That and the lack of volume.

#15 ·
Ok. Discovered another problem. Went out to check my hood after a little bit of rain and found that the edges of the plastidip aren't completely adhering to the hood surface. If I wanted, I could probably rub my palm across the hood and peel up a sizeable chunk of 'dip'. Do think this is because I waited too long and peeled the tape too late? I used a good degreaser to prep the surface before I sprayed... So I can't imagine it wasn't because of a dirty surface. Think I'll wait for some good weather and do the respray and see if I can't get it to lay down better.

#17 ·
Thanks BigHorn! That was exactly what I needed. I've been watching the DYC videos on YouTube too. I did notice that the passenger side of the hood is sticking better and there's no lip to the paint. So, with all the information I have gathered thanks to you guys, if the weather is decent this weekend, I will re-coat. Now I'm just debating on whether to start over or just lay a good, thick coat over what's already there.

#18 ·
Well it is easy to start over and your only out a few bucks or you can make new tape lines, plasti-dip basically chemically bonds to itself kinda fusing to itself. So spraying thick coats back on your previous dipped section will act as a new layer. It is also self leveling, they do it on dipyourcar.com YouTube video as all the time. Lol once you start watching those videos it's hard to stop thinking about what you want to dip next. There are so many different combination of colors it's insane. I really want to dip my whole truck in there storm cloud grey pearl coat, look it up on YouTube and match my wheels like they did with copper. The only thing is that it costs like $500, who knows if I save up I may have the only storm cloud grey ram in my area or even state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.