DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Ram 1500 Likely to Get aTrubo Diesel????

6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  AlljackedupRam 
#1 ·
This is what was posted on pickuptruck.com.

Reports are coming in that Ram Truck is doing early testing on a turbo-diesel engine for the Ram 1500, but a proper diesel model isn't likely to happen for several years. Earlier reports suggested that a smaller Cummins or other branded diesels may be an option, but it looks like the small Fiat-owned VM high-tech V-6 is the obvious front-runner.
In an article posted Monday, Allpar.com said it has sources saying that early one-off models have been made with the 3.0-liter V-6 VM Motori turbo-diesel engine (named the VM A630), which already sits inside the new Jeep Grand Cherokee sold in several global markets (and will also come to the U.S. market).
The engine can be tuned to produce more than 400 pounds-feet of torque, and, in a truck platform, it is likely to be able to tow as much as 10,000 pounds.
These early pre-production vehicles could show up in some spy photos if photographers keep their eyes on the tailpipes and fuel-filler caps. We hope to have more soon.

#2 ·
I doubt it but thats just my opnion, Ram has been denying it for a while that it will ever happen, I dont see a point or a need for a 1500 with a diesel, yes the motor may allow you to make more torque but the frame and other components arent intended for that. I guess the only benefit would be better mpg if you delete all of the emissions stuff, regulations on diesel engines are becoming so thight that I cant see cummins producing another motor for RAM, if anything I would bet that ram releases a v6 turbo gas engine similar to ford's... but thats all just my opinion

#3 ·
I'd have to agree Assault. With diesel prices being as high as they are (at least here in Ontario) I don't see it happening either, unless it can get incredible gas mileage to compensate for the higher fuel price. Not to mention the premium $$$ that the diesel engines usually bring. The twin turbo V6 gasser seems like the more practical route, depending on how the eco-boost pans out in the long run.

#4 ·
after I wrote that I got thinking more about a half ton diesel and that would not only require cummins to design and build another engine for ram and go through all of the emissions crap (which is why the 2013 ram HD's wont be released until january '13) but it would also require RAM to make a whole new half ton platform and tranny to handle a diesel, so they would have 2 different half ton frames and components. It would probably get about the same mpg with the emissions stuff intact as a half ton hemi and wouldnt be able to tow much more, the hemi makes about the same torque anyways. And as RamMan said, the diesel option for a 3/4 or 1 ton in Canada costs 9300 dollars plus 1400 for the tranny, and Diesel costs more, would take a serious mpg increase to ever see your money back out of that truck and then its not anymore capable than a hemi is... once again just my .02

#6 ·
To many emissions requirements that are just getting tougher. These filters, if you don't run your truck hard to often will clog up and put the truck into limp mode and then you have to go to the dealer. :doh: Not to mention they are already power robbing parasites. Wanting to cut all that stuff off but I don't want to void said warranty just yet...

#8 ·
Ram is going through a few transitions

new V6 Pentastar will be in the 2013 Rams that will start showing up in late August 2012
About January the Ram 1500 HEMI will come out with the 8 speed, they want to call it the “TorqueFlite 8” , it is really the ZF HP8 / Chrysler 845RFE

-------------------------------------------------------------------
From the ALLPAR website

The latest word from the Chrysler Tower of Power is that the Ram will finally be getting Cummins‘ new V8 diesel, and possibly one other diesel engine (either the Cummins V6 or the VM V6), late in 2013. These might be arriving in 2014 model-year Rams.

At this time, Nissan and the U.S. military are using the Cummins V8, which is reportedly lighter and more fuel efficient than the massive 6.7 liter straight-six used by the Ram pickup trucks (2500/3500) and chassis cabs.

We were last told that the Ram 1500 with a Cummins V8 diesel should get around 18 mpg city, 23 mpg highway, with over 250 horsepower and around 440 lb-ft of torque. The V8 redlines at over 5,000 rpm, and is quiet as a gasoline engine. The 4.2 liter Cummins V6 is said to generate 190 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque (horsepower numbers may not be as high in production models of the measured numbers are not SAE net).

The VM Motori A630 diesel engine is rated at 241 horsepower and 406 lb-ft of torque; in the Lancia Thema (Chrysler 300) sold in Europe, it not only easily outpowers the 2010 Mercedes 3.0 diesel, but also delivers 17% better fuel economy. The engine has 1800 bar injectors with MultiJet II technology (the VM Motori advertises the same engine with 2,000 bar injectors). The engine weighs less than 500 lb (without accessories).

In January 2011, Sergio Marchionne said: “Do I want a future [for diesel light duty Rams]? Do we have the technology to get it done? Absolutely, yes. Do we have the engines to get it done? Absolutely, yes.” He was unsure of whether there was a strong market, but if gasoline prices rise further, it would be a good time to have a light duty diesel.

#9 ·
ill take a cummins in a 1500 anyday. mpg differance is unreal mine compared to my friends 2500 same year hes 4x4 lifted 8 inchs and on 37s im stock 4x2 he gets on average 23-25 mpg and i get 16-17 mpg thats a big differance.

ps that is also with everything cut out ect but still.

i had played with the idea of taking a cummins and shoving it into a 1500 frame for fun but just bought mine insted. still wish i had bought a diesel

#16 ·
There are old diesel chevy 1/2s tons out there still getting 27-30 miles to the gallon [Imperial] What do we really need 390 HP for? They should make a 4 cylinder diesel with 225 HP and 35 miles to the gallon. I'd buy one. My other vehicle is a VW diesel with 100 HP and 60 miles to the gallon, 45 miles to the gallon when I tow a 1000 lb trailer.
I did buy the Ram 5.7 Hemi anyway, love the torque even if I don't need it. Go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.