DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Blackout Tape Removal - Results

25K views 85 replies 59 participants last post by  tidefan1967 
#1 · (Edited)
After much urging from fellow forum members, I finally got around to removing the blackout tape on the window pillars today. Wow, what a difference. I know some folks don't like this, especially on a white truck, but personally, I love it. Very glad I did it. I posted pics of the removal process in a separate thread (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83110).

PS - Front windows are getting tinted to match the back windows on Tuesday so it should look much better after that is added.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks GH. I agree it looks better. I get the tint added next week then I plan to debadge it and remove the chrome door moldings (just waiting on my 3M eraser wheel) . Should look much better after all of that is complete.

#4 ·
wow what a difference...i didnt even know that could be removed like that but it looks wayyyy better in my opinion

#7 ·
Looks good! Isn't modding fun. :D

#9 ·
I love it ... I'm doing mine tomorrow ,,,,,,,

#12 ·
Thanks Timmy. I plan to do the same exhaust upgrade you did in the coming weeks. Found a local shop that will make the modifications. Your original thread was the inspiration.

#16 ·
Isn't this the easiest modification ever? Hope you liked the finished product. Good thing is you can always have the tape put back on if you change your mind. Would love to see some pics of the before and after if you have them.

#17 ·
Yeah, I really thought about leaving it on. I first thought that once my windows were tinted, it would look better with one continuous black are. But another forum member sent me some pics of white trucks that removed the tape and I really liked it so I decided to go ahead and try it. It is definitely a personal choice that looks good either way in my opinion. I think each truck owner should go with what they feel is best for them. That way you are sure to be happy!

#18 ·
De-badging the truck was almost as easy. The foam tape pealed right off after using fishing line to remove the plastic badging. I didn't even use the stripe off wheel. I did park in the sun for about a half hour before starting. I just waxed afterward, but now I see that I need to go back and polish and then rewax because the dust clings to where the adhesive was.

#20 ·
I plan to debadge in the next week or two. I did order a stripe off wheel though. Too many folks posted that it made life easier for them. Very glad to hear yours went well without it.

Lookin good! Dont know if I'm gonna do it to mine or not. What part of Arkansas you from? Spent 22yrs in Blytheville :wavey:
I am in the Northwest area near Fayetteville. Been here for over 26 years now and love it more every day. Go Hogs!

#23 ·
Don't open the package for the eraser wheel until you need it. I listed my eraser wheel on ebay today. Never opened the package. Removing the badging wasn't much harder than removing the black tape. The difference being that the backing for the badging would break up easier causing a few restarts on each letter.:i_rolleyes:

#24 ·
I only did a quick Google Image search but here are a few pics. Hope it helps.

Attachments

#26 ·
Razor, your post inspired me to do mine it looked so easy. Crazy how fast it came off.

I also went ahead and used the wheel I ordered to de-badge just the drivers side door tonight, ya know, since i was taking stuff off and all.

Not to jack your thread, but this is what is looks like on the deep water blue. Don't mind the crapy iphone pics.

Before I debadged

#27 ·
If you've got pics...hijack way! I think your truck looks great without the tape. I have always thought the darker paints looked even better than the lighter colors (like my white). Either way, the final look is so much cleaner. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Now get those front windows tinted to match the back (mine are getting done this coming Tuesday) and it will look even better.

#32 ·
Yeah, I was going to paint it black but it was just cheaper to remove the tape!:gy:

#34 ·
I know I saw a post about it, but can't remember which one....about the front windows being tricky when it comes to tinting.

#35 ·
I saw the same thread you did. Going to ask my tint guy this morning before he gets started.

#36 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.