DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Bakflip Security Fix!

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Hermes1 
#1 ·
Hi everyone - so I saw a youtube video of a guy easily breaking into a bak flip by inserting a coat hanger under the rubber flap at the back of the truck and pulling on the release wire. I did not like this so I decided to modify mine to be more secure. I took some aluminum L bracket and cut it down with a hacksaw. Then I drilled some holes in the bracket and the wire housing on the bak flip. Put in some screws and voila! It now opens by simply pulling the wire towards the front of the truck instead of down or towards the rear.

I posted some pics below incase someone else wants to do this.

PS - I am going to go buy some more weather stripping right now to line the entire length of the piece I cut. This will protect everything when folding it up.

See less See more
#5 ·
Is that an older BAK cover? I've seen a couple videos that show trim around the edges of the metal frame that carries the pull cord. Apparently Undercover must have inspired them to put a grommet around the exposed metal, it was one of the 'added' features of the Undercover over a BAK style in their product videos.

Yeah, I've spent way too much time looking at all possible covers, especially videos, and haven't even ordered my truck yet.

#7 ·
I'm looking at an Outdoorsman CC 6'4 EcoDiesel with ramboxes. The rambox bed makes the selections a little more restricted, would love to get the RollBak cover but they don't make it for them.

I think I've pestered the dealers too much and know a little too much about the trucks now though. Asked about the possibility of ordering the truck and substituting the 17" wheels off a truck on the lot early last week and haven't heard a thing back from either of three local dealers. I guess they are selling enough EcoDiesels so they don't care about an ordered truck. Might have to expand my range of dealers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.