DODGE RAM FORUM banner

09 K&N CAI install

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  dodgerammer09 
#1 ·
I just installed this a few days ago. I noticed more power for sure, slightly better mileage and love the sound.

But I was just wondering if the box/heatshield that goes around the cone should be sealed and/or tight to something all around the edges? There is a gap by the inner fender if I remember correctly and a gap at the bottom for sure. So do all these kits have gaps when installed?

#2 ·
There is a gap at the bottom and against the side as well. Don't worry, thats the way they all are. I have had mine in for about 6000 mi, and It works just fine. They sound great when you put down the power. The only negative I would say, Is when the mds kicks on, it sounds a bit loud(rough). But its 15.8 more hp. I found a hood decal on ebay that says "405 h.p" and placed it on the side fender under the HEMI badge. looks sweet, so just a idea for you.

#4 ·
Ehhh, you do realize that 390 hp is at the crank right? Real world hp for these trucks is around 309ish. And unless you had your truck on a dyno that actually said your K&N gave you 15 more hp, I highly doubt it. But I guess it's a little late since your sticker is already on lol.

#3 ·
Cool thanks. I was just looking at some pics on here and mine is a little different so I was worried I had the wrong one. My filter is a cone and some on here are more oblong.

Next step is reading through all the forums and deciding on which tuner....I was leaning towards the bully dog for the last couple weeks then read some negative stuff about it so now maybe back to the predator.

#9 · (Edited)
Yes,..its my decal..and I think it looks pretty good. Im no mechanic, but the 390 factory hp is at the crank...The K&N CAI(series 63) has dyno test results showing a gain of 15.8 hp &17.4 lb-ft torque...at the rear wheels. Now if the gain shows 15.8 hp at the rear wheels, then it should be at least that much or more at the crank.???? or am I just stupid (don't answer that)...or don't ask my wife.

#10 ·
Install was easy. But I'm going to get an elbow to put in the hose that comes out the bottom of the 6 inch round tube(cant think what its called). There is a kink in the rubber hose there that I cant get rid of and an elbow seems like it would be perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.