DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Uh oh... :(

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  SShadow1974 
#1 ·
Ok, so I did a helluva booboo...
So I was DD on New Years for a friend's party, so I all I drank was Coke Zero. Stupidly, however, I left a couple cans on the floor of the back seat of my truck... Fast forward to this afternoon... It's been -20c all day and... damnit... the cans of pop exploded in the back of my truck.

The worst of it was frozen to the back of the driver seat and on the headliner in the back seat. I shop vacced the frozen pop up - but it looks like it may have stained the headliner and the seat.

Any suggestions how to clean that up when it gets warmer? I am really upset about it - the truck is less than 2 months old and looks like crap on the inside now.

*depressed*

#3 ·
No sugar. But at the moment, it looks like it's stained... But it is too cold to actually try washing it at the moment... It's like -22c outside right now with a blizzard warning for tonight and tomorrow. Fun.

#4 ·
run to walmart and get yourself something called Folex. its in the cleaning supply aisle. it is the best, safest, and cheapest cleaner out there. amazing.

be careful with the headliner, if you scrub it too hard, it could/fray/ball and detach the glue. just blot the headliner.

Reactions: Asur
#6 ·
I think you might be lucky...no sugar should be easy cleanup. Any mild carpet cleaner or similar should work. Just be careful on the headliner like he said above. I think they are normally cardboard, so no rough scrubbing and try to get it only damp, not wet.

#7 ·
NEVER saturate a foam backed headliner; the foam will seperate from the backing and or material, especially if it has aged. Use a product called "Tuff Stuff" multi-purpose foam cleaner (Wal-Mart or any auto parts stores). Apply the foam and let set a few minutes (foam will lift the cola out of the material), then use a shop vac to suck up the foam/cola mix being careful to not let the suction "pull" too much on the headliner material. The carpet and upholstery can be cleaned the same way, being generous with the foam, working it into the material with a very SOFT natural bristle brush (never use a stiff brush on upholstery since it will damage it), then use the shop vac to remove all the residue. The key is to use a shop vac/carpet cleaner to remove whatever cleaning solution from the material being cleaned. Been in the auto restoration / detailing business since 1982 and have found this to be fool proof.

#13 ·
Update...
So I couldn't find the products that were mentioned... So I picked up some Resolve carpet/upholstery cleaner.
Lightly sprayed the headliner (the seats must be stain resist because the seats didn't have any stains on them from the Coke Zero) and let it sit for the three minutes, as per the directions.
Grabbed a cloth and gently, as was suggested on here, rubbed the headliner.

SUCCESS!

I am probably going to do a little more as there is a line left that you can see, but it did a pretty good job cleaning that mess up. Relieved, I am. :)

#16 ·
Yep, was all fixed up. Took the truck through car wash tonight... Now I have a brake light out. Dash shows passenger rear light, but it's the cab brake light that's out.
Found in another thread that the trailer brake control and the cab brake light are on the same fuse... I have a lit hitch cover that plugs into the trailer plug. Pulled that out and the connector was soaked. Figuring I probably blew a fuse. Will check in the daylight. :/

#19 ·
Ok... Now I'm getting confused.
So I bought some LEDs. Put em in and the 3rd brake light lights up... But I still get the graphic on the EVIC saying the passenger rear light is out. All three brake lights and turn signals work.
One thing I did notice when I was troubleshooting, I took one of the incandescents from the cargo light and put it in the 3rd brake light and it lit up - but after a minute of being on the bulb was hot enough to burn my finger when I took it back out.

Is that normal? Or do I have an abnormal amount of current going through that bulb? Now that I think about it, that broken bulb - if you look at the pic - looks heat damaged, doesn't it?

What fuse would that 3rd brake light be on? I took a look at fuse box, but I don't see anything listed that jumps out at me as being the fuse for that. Just want to check the fuse on it...

#22 ·
I put incandescent back in and still had the error. I think my next step is to pull the battery wire and see if that clears it... Otherwise, I guess I'll mention it when I am at the dealer for my first oil change.
Not a big deal but it is a little annoying on a brand new truck.

#23 ·
Ok, further update... I got to thinking that perhaps I hadn't tried running the truck to see if the msg came back on with the incandescent back in... So I tried it again today, and with the incandescent bulb in, the error message went away...

So, what ohm resistor should I be using to increase the resistance on the LED bulb?
And if I swap out the reverse lights with LEDs, am I probably going to need resistors for those as well? Same resistance?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.