DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Ram + 1969 Dart
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:15
Medic is on a distinguished road
Question Hello! Looking for info on a new truck

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but not new to vehicles in general. I own a '69 Dart (had it since high school, but with college it's been a project on hold), as well as an '02 Jimmy (BLAHHH!!).

However I am new to diesels. After searching the web this forum seemed like one of the best places to learn what I could before purchasing a new Ram.

I'm a college student, so I know my Ram will have to be used, and likely a 2nd gen. I'm looking at a lot of travelling cross-country in the next few years, sometimes hauling, sometimes not. What I'll be hauling, not even I know yet. As of such I'm thinking a 2500, probably a diesel, DEFINITELY a 4x4. So here's my questions...

What year would be best? Power, features, fuel economy... Generally what won't steer me wrong?

What kind of maintenance do diesels require compared to a gas engine?

And... With the many users here I'm sure with infinite knowledge on a subject I only know the basics of, what else should I know about the 2nd gen. Ram or diesels in general?

In advance all information is appreciated! Thank you all.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum! I can't answer any of your questions on diesels, so here's a free bump
Old 01-13-2011, 09:06 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome from Calgary! Don't forget to stop by the newbie section to get the official welcome.

As for the diesel, I might be able to help ya out there. A big thing with diesels is... what is your price range? Let's face it, even a used '02 5.9L at 150K can still run you $20,000, so be aware before you get into it. They hold their value better, and are more expensive for maintenance, but they normally have lower running costs, and are nigh impossible to kill.

If you're looking at a 2nd gen or an early 3rd gen, then you'd be looking at all the 5.9Ls which are absolutely the best pick up diesel ever built, hands down. Even at 300,000kms, you can get the chambers resleeved and it's good for another 300,000km, they are durable. I am a lover of the '01-02 5.9L ISB (if I can't get my hands on an '06 of course). The fuel economy isn't the greatest, let's face it, but with some modification it can be up to a fuel sipping 30MPG, so it's all in how you care to do it. They are notoriously bad/difficult for winter start ups, and they rattle like a bastard, which means you shouldn't drive as that's how you wear the cyclinders out the fastest; oh, and your neighbors will hate you

The engine is solid, and with a little TLC you can have a great powerplant, the downside is the package it comes in. The 2nd gens are getting on in years, so they have all the issues you'd expect. Vacuum hoses for the 4x4 will be weaker and probably be replaced, general maintenance will also be a must. The interior of the 2nd gens has a bad reputation for cracking and falling a part, so don't be surprised to find them in poor disrepair.

If you any other questions, feel free to drop them in here.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Ram 2500 SLT Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:147
SnowChief will become famous soon enoughSnowChief will become famous soon enough

I agree with the above and would add the following:

Diesels are built for torgue, which means of coruse they are better suited to haul\tow heavier loads than their gas counterparts. The 2nd gen Cummins are loud and smelly compared to those of today (some like this power sound - my old age has turned me into someone preferring quiter things). If I was going to be driving around the country hauling some, not hauling at other times, not sure I would spend the extra money that a diesel will cost. Also, as you travel throughout the country, not all gas stations sell diesel and there are generally fewer diesel mechanics - very general statement so take it with a grain of salt. I think I would lean towards the Hemi and buy a newer year that is in good shape with fewer miles.

If you are into power and will be hauling heavy duty stuff, the diesel is a good choice.

Hope these threads and other that will chime in will help you make the best choice for you. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:43 AM
erm

I agree with both of those assessments and they are pretty complete.

I would add that a diesel's fuel will be more expensive and the added complexity of a turbo with a blow off valve will add to your maintenance costs if you blow one so it's a good idea to add a pyrometer and gauge to monitor exhaust gas temperature (EGT) when towing up hills, especially in higher ambient temps.

Diesel maintenance is extremely important and is more expensive than gas as there are larger and more numerous filters to change as well.

But for regular heavy duty hauling, there's nothing better.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Ram + 1969 Dart
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric blue
Rep:15
Medic is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks All!

School ended up taking some crazy turns, so my downtime got majorly cut. Not to mention any and all extra funds I thought I may have had to buy a new truck.

However that's the past and I'm now the proud owner of a new (to me) 2007 2500... With the Hemi. My new job had the largest dictation in that, turns out I'll be leaving my truck for weeks at a time in the winter, so the most reliable start is what I needed.

...and I've always wanted to say, "Yea, it's got a Hemi."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (137.1 KB, 1 views)