DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
aztecman is on a distinguished road
Angry New 2012 3500 Longhorn Can't balance aftermarket rims/tires

Hi Everyone!

I recently bought a new 2012 3500 Longhorn edition and purchased aftermarket 17" wheels with 335 tires. Since installation I have had to return the truck to the tire shop constantly due to a vibration in the truck when exceeding 100km/h. I changed two different sets of tires (from Mickey Thompson to Dick Cepek) as well as tried a brand new set of different aftermarket rims and still have the vibration. I have put the stock rims and tires back on and the vibration stops. Rebalanced the tires at a different tire shop with a roadforce balancing machine and still had the vibration. We have also put the beads in the tires to see if that helped, but still a vibration. I have now got the dealer to order me a more expensive set of rims and are going to try them? Has anyone else had issues balancing aftermarket rims/tires on their 2012? I heard from a few people that this is common with this truck, as for the reason, I am not sure? Any suggestions would be appreciated
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Laramie 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/silver trim
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
TRCM will become famous soon enough

A friends of mine had a very similar same issue with his 2009 Sport. He ended up keeping the stock rims.

His wasn't a vibration issue, but more a ride comfort issue. When he swapped rims, the ride got worse, and no matter what he did, it stayed that way. So, he put the stock rims/tires back on, and the ride came back.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Power Wagon
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:36
stubie82 is on a distinguished road

This might sound stupid, but this is something I heard from a friend who lifted his jeep and put on aftermarket wheels/tires. I know lifting and all that could have an effect on it, but this is something I heard, which I kind of think is B.S., but ya never know.

He was having a similar issue. When he went back the guy at the tire place said they can only balance the tires for legal speed limits. I would assume 55-65 mph (~88-10 km/h). So anything over that, they can not be held accountable for. My thought was then why would they make vehicles go faster than that if they can not balance them. I know, seems stupid, probably just some guy getting out of work.
This is probably no help what-so-ever, but ya never know.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

I have built tires for Bridgestone for 12 years now. Tires that come on new vehicles are made 10x better than aftermarket tires. Quality tolerances are much stricter for O.E. tires. My plant builds specifically tires for new cars/trucks, trust me there is a big difference vs. off the shelf tires and wheels.
Most car companies match the wheels and tires together for optimum balance.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:59 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:48
ShiftJockey is on a distinguished road

I had that problem. I tried balance after balance after balance, looked for a bad bearing in the differential or axles, etc...and what I needed was a road force balance. Check with your local tire and wheel shop.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:29 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Trim Level: 1500 Express CC
Color: Tequila Sunrise
Rep:19
admiralforever is on a distinguished road

Have you looked into hub centric rings. Aftermarket wheels are not made for one specific wheel hub so you might need this rings that go around your hub to fill in the gap between your hub and the wheel. That way the wheel is not off centered when you bolt it on. Here is a video to explain further.
Let us know if it helped.
http://youtu.be/D3dl3XTl3FY
Old 09-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The weight of the wheel & therefore the whole vehicle is suppose to be on the Hub & not on the threaded lug studs, if everything makes for a tight fit, that is even better

A note of interest:
If you are taking off your rim & tire for the first time, you will notice a little metal ring around the stud(s), don't reinstall that ring when putting the wheel back on. That ring is just a clip used by the factory, it has no use after the lug nuts are installed at the factory.
The assembly line is almost constantly moving, each station along the way just does one thing & then the vehicle goes to the next station where one more step is done.
The rim with the balanced & mounted tire on it, is put on the hub at one station & it moves down the line to get the lug nuts installed.
During this movement, the wheel would likely fall of of the hub, so instead of having wheels falling & rolling all over the place, those little clips are put on at the same time that the rim goes on. Everything is held into place as it moves down to the lug nut process
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-26-2012, 02:41 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab Sport
Color: black
Rep:251
2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralforever View Post
Have you looked into hub centric rings. Aftermarket wheels are not made for one specific wheel hub so you might need this rings that go around your hub to fill in the gap between your hub and the wheel. That way the wheel is not off centered when you bolt it on. Here is a video to explain further.
Let us know if it helped.
http://youtu.be/D3dl3XTl3FY
bingo! my dad had aftermarket wheels and tires put on his 08 laramie and the place he bought them from never put on the rings, he had a vibration when driving on the the highway on his way home, they put the rings in and everything was fine. My hub centric rings for my fuel wheels just feel like plastic, amazing what thin amount of plastic will do to help the ride
Old 09-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Trim Level: 1500 Express CC
Color: Tequila Sunrise
Rep:19
admiralforever is on a distinguished road

So did this get fixed?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

hubcentric rings are important. Almost every vehicle made these days centers the wheel on the hub and not the studs.