DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > MDS

Notices

MDS Multi Displacement System Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500 quad cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Flex68 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone tuned and kept MDS ?

Hey, all. In need of assistance, here. I have used the "Search" function, but still not able to find an answer to my basic questions

I bought my '08 Ram 1500 quad cab 5.7L Hemi used last November.
It came with duals aftermarket, a K&N CAI....and a 13.5MPG on 89 octane gas addiction.

I now am improved to 14.5-15MPG, locally, as long as I baby the hell out of it, but would sure like to see another +2 or +3MPG.

Have been reading, here, and elsewhere, and getting conflicting messages about buying/using a tuner with the MDS system+torque converter clutch.

Has anyone tuned their Ram and KEPT the MDS? Gas mileage improvement noted? How much?
What tuner best for the Ram, and what basic settings?

I'm sure this has been covered before, so I apologize in advance...all help and advice much appreciated , though.
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Wrong section....??

Asked and answered elsewhere?

(If so, please point me in the right direction)
Old 08-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Crewcab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:49
SilentService is on a distinguished road

Not sure if this will answer your question but when I had my 2006 charger R/T I used a diablo intune and kept MDS on for a week and my MPG never moved, but I was tired of the annoying drone my exhaust emitted and decided to turn it off, within a day it dropped 2 MPG and stayed there unless I turned it back on. Could have been the way I drove it too lol. Hope this sheds some light and gets some more qualified answers for you!!
Old 08-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Rep:222
BLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura about

You can keep the MDS on if you want, Like mentioned it's about a 2mpg drop if you turn it off. I have tried it both ways and thats my experience, I use a predator tuner and like it I know run with MDS off and throttle sensitivity turned to +20 and the correct tire size on the canned 93 tune.

"MPG???...I get Smiles Per Gallon!"
2010 RAM SPORT CC 4x4 Hemi
Diablo Tuner, Mufflex 14, Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks, 3.5 lift, 35 in mud tires
Old 08-04-2012, 09:01 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I am heavily modified (heads, cam, TC, intake manifold swap, 1 7/8" LT headers, e-cutout, gears) and I keep the MDS for long road trips but I do turn it off when around town because my tranny seems to be hunting for the right gear when I'm at around-town crusing speeds currently. A good tuner can get your mods tuned properly and still allow the use of MDS. Around town my MDS never kicks in, but that's because of my lead foot, however, or the highways it definately makes a difference, and I've seen up to 21mpg on long trips and getting 750km to a tank of gas is impressive considering around town I can burn through a tank in 500kms.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKSVT View Post
You can keep the MDS on if you want, Like mentioned it's about a 2mpg drop if you turn it off. I have tried it both ways and thats my experience, I use a predator tuner and like it I know run with MDS off and throttle sensitivity turned to +20 and the correct tire size on the canned 93 tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
I am heavily modified (heads, cam, TC, intake manifold swap, 1 7/8" LT headers, e-cutout, gears) and I keep the MDS for long road trips but I do turn it off when around town because my tranny seems to be hunting for the right gear when I'm at around-town crusing speeds currently. A good tuner can get your mods tuned properly and still allow the use of MDS. Around town my MDS never kicks in, but that's because of my lead foot, however, or the highways it definately makes a difference, and I've seen up to 21mpg on long trips and getting 750km to a tank of gas is impressive considering around town I can burn through a tank in 500kms.

I had given up on getting responses, lol. First time I had checked back in about 5 days.

Thanks, to each of you, I appreciate the input.

Is there a basic consensus regarding "the best" tuner for the 5.7L Hemi...at least for my purposes? (Primarily not seeking any HP/torque boost, just wanting to improve upon gas mileage)
Old 08-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

yes, diablosport, they have gas saving tunes that will improve hp/tq while helping gas mileage.

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance