DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Transmission sometimes takes forever to shift in third gear

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Fokk Googel 
#1 ·
Hey guys i got 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Conversion van with 5,2 Lt engine.My question is when i start driving it goes ok on first and second gear but when it's time to shift in third gear it takes forever. Sometimes i can go up to 2 miles on 45 mph and it would kick it in and than straight to forth gear.But after i stop i got to go thru whole process again.
Already change oil and filters in engine and tranny.But still doing it.
Well after the Engine valve gaskets and oil change motor start to smoke a lot. Got no idea what a heck is going down with it.

Can anyone help..

#2 ·
Hey guys i got 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Conversion van with 5,2 Lt engine.My question is when i start driving it goes ok on first and second gear but when it's time to shift in third gear it takes forever. Sometimes i can go up to 2 miles on 45 mph and it would kick it in and than straight to forth gear.But after i stop i got to go thru whole process again.
Well after the Engine valve gaskets and oil change motor start to smoke a lot. Got no idea what a heck is going down with it.

Can anyone help..
Already did! Like said your going to have to have an overhaul done.

Just email me: frankcovending@gmail.com

#5 ·

Can anyone help..
I got a 2000 and same problem

#6 ·
Common cause for long slide 2-3 is a leaking direct drum clutch piston seal. The seal leaks due to a machining error during manufacturing. Not all units were affected. The cure is a new seal. There are two seal designs one is larger to compensate for the manufacturing defect.

#7 ·

Can anyone help..

Can anyone help..
Oil smoking from leaky valve cover gaskets has nothing to do with engine not shifting properly unless you're red lining motor to force shift and causing too much oil pressure blow through gaskets. Check Trans fluid color and level when engine running. Sometimes these are indicators of Trans environment. If pink you're good. If low add to full operating range. If this not the case then I would half to check shift solenoid or front pump...good luck. By the way any color different than pink isn't truly acceptable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.