DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Stone White
Rep:56
LadyRam will become famous soon enough

Thanks so very much for the detailed info BlueJet!

I've never used the clay bar myself; the detailer always did the rust spot removal on my Dakota.

Sounds like it is a time consuming procedure. This is a big truck, so it must be an all day project.
Any excellent recommendations on which brand? Meguiare's (sp)?

Any willing volunteers to help?
Mods: Chrome Gas Door, Chrome Bedrails, Chrome Bug Shield, Chrome Oval Steps, Access Cover, Rhino Liner, Tinting, Stainless Door Sill Guards, Flowmaster 50 H.D., Recon LED Lightbar, K&N Filter, Power Tailgate Lock, EZ Down
Old 07-19-2009, 11:28 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Meguiar's is awesome for sure! I love their Detail Mist and Wipe in between waxes to keep it shiny and smooth...
Old 07-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Vehicle: 07 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black metalic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:37
DesertDog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DesertDog

i found this on another forum ..its called rail dust
so fallow these procedures of repairs ..
like Blue said ,use a clay bar , good fore knowledge blue,thank you,

Several people have asked about rust spots in the paint of a relatively new vehicles. Heres the most likely cause of the problem and the solution to the said problem.

Symptoms: Visible grains of iron or rusting spots in the paint surface.
Models Affected: 1994-2007 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks.
Commonly looks like (click to enlarge):

Where does it come from?
Rail dust comes from tiny iron particles produced from the friction between train wheels and the tracks and gets deposited on the vehicle surfaces. Iron dust can get deposited on the surface if the vehicle is stored near any operation producing iron dust such as a steel ore yard. Either material can lay on top of, or over time, become embedded in the paint surface.

Illustration of surface rail dust and embedded rail dust:

Because the severity of the condition varies, proper diagnosis of the damage is critical to the success of repairs. Diagnosis should be performed on horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, deck lid, pick up box, etc.) after the vehicle has been properly cleaned. There are two types of repair materials recommended to repair rail dust or iron dust:

Gel Type Oxalic acid (Fallout Remover): - Has the characteristics of the liquid type oxalic acid but stays where you put it because of its gel consistency.
Clay Bar: - Requires surface lubricant during use.

Caution:
Rail dust remover (Oxalic Acid) is an acidic substance containing chemicals that will break down the iron particles embedded in the finish. When working with rail dust remover, use the necessary safety equipment, including gloves and goggles. Follow the chemical manufacturer's directions closely because it may require special handling and disposal.

If, upon inspection, some particles are still present, the various chemical manufacturer's processes can be repeated.
After the removal process, small pits may remain in the clearcoat and can be corrected, in most cases, with a finesse/polish/buffing operation.

Procedure
Move the vehicle to a cool shaded area and make sure that the vehicle surfaces are cool during the removal process. DO NOT PERFORM THE REMOVAL PROCESS IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT OR ON A VEHICLE WITH HOT OR WARM BODY PANELS. Wash the vehicle with soap and water. Dry it immediately and clean the affected areas with a wax and grease remover.
Perform the removal process according to the chemical manufacturer's directions.
Once the damage has been repaired, the final step involves a polishing process.

Where do I find Rail dust remover or Clay bar?
Napa and Sherwin Williams carries Rail dust remover.
Clay bar can be found at any place that carries car care products. Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!

Old 07-19-2009, 11:53 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:10
Rocket is on a distinguished road

My last Ram was white and it had the same spots when I purchased it and at first I had trouble keeping them off. Once I got into deatiling I realized that it was rail dust or the brake pads causing the rust spots. Once I clay bared the truck and waxed it regularly I never saw them again.

I got into the habit of using Eagle One wax as you dry at each wash to help keep some form of protectant on the paint. It's not effective like a real polish or wax but it's better than nothing and it did help to keep the rust spots from appearing.

If you were closer I would offer to help you but I'm in Texas.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:00 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:10
Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJet View Post
From Autopia:
Do you post on Autopia? I posted all the time but it's been a while since I've been on there.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:03 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Mothers also makes a good clay bar kit with 2 bars and showroom shine for the lube. it is an involved job, but worth it. usually takes me 2-3hrs depending on how bad the build up of tar is. I apparently live in construction/paving country. I have a tendancy to do a full wax strip/prep/wax when I use the clay bar, but you don't have to go that far too often.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro
Color: Electric Blue
Rep:3944
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Do you post on Autopia? I posted all the time but it's been a while since I've been on there.
No but I know it is a very good site for info and products!

Like what you see? Support this fine site!

Go here for great how-to's and make sure you know the rules!

Make sure you show off your Ram by posting pics in the GALLERY!!

L.O.B.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Hemi Ram
Color: White
Rep:62
boostjunkie1 will become famous soon enough

I have this same issue with my WHITE 08 Ram. I called the dealer today and have a appointment for them to look at it on Wed. of this week. I told them about the Fall out and Rail Dust that I have read about here. I hope that they will not have to paint the truck again, but I want the little orange/brown spots to go away NOW......
Old 07-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro
Color: Electric Blue
Rep:3944
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostjunkie1 View Post
I have this same issue with my WHITE 08 Ram. I called the dealer today and have a appointment for them to look at it on Wed. of this week. I told them about the Fall out and Rail Dust that I have read about here. I hope that they will not have to paint the truck again, but I want the little orange/brown spots to go away NOW......
Have you tried using a clay bar? I always had to clay mine to keep the spots off. White is a tough color to keep up!

Like what you see? Support this fine site!

Go here for great how-to's and make sure you know the rules!

Make sure you show off your Ram by posting pics in the GALLERY!!

L.O.B.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Hemi Ram
Color: White
Rep:62
boostjunkie1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJet View Post
Have you tried using a clay bar? I always had to clay mine to keep the spots off. White is a tough color to keep up!
Nope..... I have hand washed the truck 2 times since New and had the dealer do the others because of the initial deal on the truck. I did not notice the spots until the last time I washed it. Then I get on here and read this thread and .....Now I know what the reason for the spots are and will have them fix it. Good thing I did not just go and wash/wax the thing and cover up the iron particles. Hopefully the dealer will have to put all the elbow grease into getting it right. As soon as I get her back she will be coated with 2 coats of Zimol Wax and a Car cover placed over her while sitting in the carport.