DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 99 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST - Very Base Model
Color: Red with grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:48
Dieselkiss is on a distinguished road
Default Grumbling diff maybe?? '99 5.2 Auto 2WD.

So it's very slight, but noticeable and I would describe it as a slight knock/grumbling/rumble. It's one of those noises that is hard to define.
It's rhythm is relevant to speed - it gets faster as the truck speeds up.

My first thought is a grumbling diff. I just recently serviced the transmission myself and it was there before and is no more or less noticeable since that job.
I had four new shoes put on her yesterday - ya..$800 bucks...thanks!!....and now with new tires I notice it a little more.
I can kind of feel it through the body, but barely and cannot feel it through the steering. I'm sure it's not wheel bearings, I've checked them. I've checked and there are no leaks around the diff/drive shaft seals.

I was going to service the diff when I did the transmission but my shop didn't have the diff gasket in and the transmission REALLY needed doing.

She has 207, 000 miles on her and runs flawlessly so I'm not inclined to complain if it is the diff. Just wondered if you guys had had similar and if you agree with my diagnosis and if you think a diff service will cure it or if it's just age and wear and something I need to live with on a 207K truck.
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2011, 01:57 AM

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

You've checked lotsa stuff, but I couldn't help but notice, did you chock a wheel, put it neutral, grab a pry bar and pry on the u joints at all? this'd be kinda important cuz if your front joint is headed for retirement, it could kill ya if you're at road speed and it failed, pole vaulting your truck when the front of the driveshaft hits the road. If the rear one failed the worst thing would be to operationally test your rev limiter and walk home, maybe have to chase down the drive shaft that pulled out of the splines and drained your trans!!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:10 AM

Vehicle: 2000 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: green
Rep:10
crip is on a distinguished road

why woluldnt they put some kinda bracket to keep from pole vaulting if front u joint went out? i have seen some late model chevys that had a provision to catch shaft if that happened. just seems such a easy thing to prevent with strap, esp. when the other option is pole vaulting a truck. seen it happen once and it was not pretty, kinda funny though, only kicked rear up little, caused truck to turn sideways in road, im sure the driver prob did not think it was funny.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Default Funny you mention that....

Sitting on the sofa with my wife at some ungodly hour this morning watching some lame movie, I suddenly turned to her and said 'Drive shaft, maybe it's the UJ'. She looked at me blankly lol

So yea, I hadn't actually even considered that till last night, so good suggestion, traschcan, thanks. I'll be checking that today. I hope it's not that, I really can't afford to replace the drive shafts right now....be nice if I could just replace the UJ, but I have no idea if you can on these trucks.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:08 PM

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

The joints are totally replaceable on Dodges, though a torch helps in getting the cups to slide off, they're held on by e clips, not injected like GMs, where you must have oxy /acyetlene to melt the plastic injection stuff... I think the safety loops arent put on, for economic reasons, as for myself, I'd rather see em delete the airbags and shoulder straps, video screens, shifter actuated automatic locks, electric seats, etc. and put the driveshaft loops on...
Old 11-07-2011, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the info!!! I actually have acces to a donor truck, it's a 95 ram and if the UJs and shafts are ok and that IS the issue with mine, it may just be easier to replace the entire drive shaft I think, I'll have to take a look when I go over and scavenge parts.