DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-05-2014, 07:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Superb 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:64
Nck will become famous soon enough
Default Replacing steering compents.

I have about $700 in tax returns. So I decided since my steering is horrible and there is an unbelievable amount of play in the steering wheel. I'm going to replace all of the main steering components, and maybe upgrade some things.
What are all of the main steering components for my 98 4x4?
I know about the tie rods and ball joints, track bar and the steering stabilizer, the steering box is probably OK.
Is there anything else I'm not remembering?
Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2014, 12:03 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:160
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

You are spot-on for most of this. If you are going to do the ball-joints, then you will have the steering knuckles off. Good! Now is the time to look for grooves where the brake-pads ride. You can fix them with weld, or buy new. I filled mine with mig. Harder than the original metal. These grooves can cause un-even brake wear, more inboard, or crooked. Good time to check, and even replace wheel-joints (front u-joints). I like to use quality Spicers for these. For the rest of the parts, buy the best you can. I buy my my stuff from Amazon. You can get the best Moog and Spicer parts for the price of the Dura-Crap parts of your local store.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:13 AM

Alright, so im on the right track. I will replace the u joints on both sides, and all four ball joints. For the ball joints I will have to have a certain tool to remove them right?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:06 PM

Color: Black
Rep:160
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

Yes. Rent the ball-joint removal kit, along with the seperator kit. Free, if you return them. A torch and a BFH (big ****ing hammer) are also needed. I have done this job. Wheel joints will require removal of the shafts to replace the u-joints. Make sure your seals are not leaking at this time, or plan on replacing them now. If you dont have heavy tools, or are not confident, take the shafts to a shop, and have them replace the wheel-joints. Too much abuse on these will give you a vibration you will never fix.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:53 AM

Rep:12
tweener439 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Truck View Post
Yes. Rent the ball-joint removal kit, along with the seperator kit. Free, if you return them. A torch and a BFH (big ****ing hammer) are also needed. I have done this job. Wheel joints will require removal of the shafts to replace the u-joints. Make sure your seals are not leaking at this time, or plan on replacing them now. If you dont have heavy tools, or are not confident, take the shafts to a shop, and have them replace the wheel-joints. Too much abuse on these will give you a vibration you will never fix.
Lazarus, I've got a chatter that occurs when I go 60+mph, I can't feel it in the steering but you can feel the whole frame chattering and the suspension fighting to absorb it. Upon reading this post I wondered if me changing the front u joints a while ago is the cause for this vibration/chattering. I just got done replacing the track bar, shocks, tie rods, and ball joints. I also wondered if bad bushings in the stabilizer and stabilizer rods would cause any vibrations. Any thoughts?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Truck View Post
I'm pretty good with this stuff, and I have a whole garage of tools. I'm pretty much done now, I just got put the tie rods back together and install the shafts and stuff. It actually wasn't to hard, except the drivers side shaft needed a beating with the sledge to get it free from the steering knuckle.
I appreciate the help man.