DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
shreddy is on a distinguished road

You will be fine. I pull a 30ft, 6600pd, 700pd tongue TT. Most of the time don't even know it is there other than being in Tow Haul mode. I find that after about 10 -20 minutes on the highway and the truck has figured out that it is pulling, all the electronics start compensating for drift/sway and cross wind. its kinda wierd to get used too. I am considering installing these instead of the airbags however.
http://tuftruck.com/products/dodge/TTC-1223V.html
Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 4 X 4
Trim Level: lonestar
Color: black
Rep:14
fat frank is on a distinguished road

shreddy, I like those.
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about with the electronics. How would they compensate for any drift or sway, etc.
Thanks in advance
BTW, I think I'll still go with a sway bar.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: Bright White
shreddy is on a distinguished road

Yea, the springs sound pretty slick. They claim 50% percent load increase. Of course it is a "claim". 30% would be great. The service department at my dealer showed them to me when I was asking about air bags. Apparently the sales manager puts them in all his trucks to tow his camper and swears by them. These ones are variable, so it does not take away from the stock ride like the regular heavy ones do. Don't think the 2012 has it, but the 2013 has an electric steering pump that will compensate for a side wind. You don't have to apply pressure one way or the other because of wind. Part of the traction control system is the trailer sway control.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

"Also I have airbags installled but air these down when towing trailer as they've only cuased issues. If you have no additional need for them dont install them as your hitch should be doing all the work not the air bags. " QUOTE

Not starting an argument here but, I inflate my airlift bags first before hooking up the trailer, then I adjust the WDH. In this way the air bags have a chance to squeeze out between the coils before there is a load on them when they are wider apart, I found the end result is less squat before setting up the WDH. I don't use the air bags to compensate after the fact, believe it or not there is a big difference.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SXT Crew Cab
Trim Level: SXT
Color: White
Dragonmaster13 is on a distinguished road

air bags should be inflated before the tongue weight is added, otherwise it messes with the springs ability to flex over the whole length. check out rv.net and see the proper way to set up your wdh and trailer brake controller.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
skyway72 is on a distinguished road

I have the air lift 1000's and Timbren bump stops. My tt is @6500 empty. Truck did fine. Tow/hual the tranny temps for me are about 20 deg. lower than with it not on. After we stop I forget to hit the button sometimes.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:42 AM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 4 X 4
Trim Level: lonestar
Color: black
fat frank is on a distinguished road

If you look at my first post, I said wdh with sway bars. The sales person is telling me I don't need the sway bars with the weight and size of trailer. Any thoughts here? Don't want to find out the hard way down the road.
I'll be picking it up this weekend and still have time to ask for the sway bars.
Thanks in advance
Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: white
2012Outdoorsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterdriver View Post
"Also I have airbags installled but air these down when towing trailer as they've only cuased issue500. If you have no additional need for them dont install them as your hitch should be doing all the work not the air bags. " QUOTE

Not starting an argument here but, I inflate my airlift bags first before hooking up the trailer, then I adjust the WDH. In this way the air bags have a chance to squeeze out between the coils before there is a load on them when they are wider apart, I found the end result is less squat before setting up the WDH. I don't use the air bags to compensate after the fact, believe it or not there is a big difference.
Not to hijack but maybe this will help op decide on airbags or not. I agree that their is a huge difference in inflating bags first then after the fact. Based on personal experience a 3 psi difference in bags caused sway.
I'm not trying to question your way more interested for more info. Have you weighed your rig when setting it up? How much weight is being transfered by your WDH? What kinda weight is on your rear axle? I'm curious in trying this way but I've worked so hard to perfect my hitch and I'm a little cautious in trying a different method.

OP- The trailer you are looking at is on the smaller side and could be towed by suvs. I personally would have one sway bar installed as it will only benefit you and can't hurt other than having to disconnect it when backing up.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Outdoorsman View Post
Not to hijack but maybe this will help op decide on airbags or not. I agree that their is a huge difference in inflating bags first then after the fact. Based on personal experience a 3 psi difference in bags caused sway.
I'm not trying to question your way more interested for more info. Have you weighed your rig when setting it up? How much weight is being transfered by your WDH? What kinda weight is on your rear axle? I'm curious in trying this way but I've worked so hard to perfect my hitch and I'm a little cautious in trying a different method.

OP- The trailer you are looking at is on the smaller side and could be towed by suvs. I personally would have one sway bar installed as it will only benefit you and can't hurt other than having to disconnect it when backing up.
I rolled across a commercial scale last summer and figured out how much total weight (truck and trailer), then went further to figure out each group of axles, I recorded these numbers but lost them over time. I also had the stand alone weight of my truck, (each axle). I ball-parked the amount of stuff that we put into the trailer for that particular trip.(not very much stuff). So in theory I did get a fairly accurate idea how much "weight" the WDH hitch moved, just don't have the numbers anymore.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:06 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SXT Crew Cab
Trim Level: SXT
Color: White
Dragonmaster13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat frank View Post
If you look at my first post, I said wdh with sway bars. The sales person is telling me I don't need the sway bars with the weight and size of trailer. Any thoughts here? Don't want to find out the hard way down the road.
I'll be picking it up this weekend and still have time to ask for the sway bars.
Thanks in advance
based on that weight forgo the sway bars. if needed they can be added later. I tow 7200lbs without sway bars and have zero issues with a proper setup.