DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
Giles24 is on a distinguished road
Default Another Spark Plug Thread...

Trying to get things straight...

In the service manual for the 2012 1500 it states:

Required Maintenance Intervals
NOTE: ** Vehicles built with the 4.7L engine are equipped with sixteen spark plugs. One set is located on the top of the engine under the coils and the second set is located on the side of the engine.
The spark plugs located under the coils are a standard plug and must be changed every 48,000 miles (78 000 km).
The spark plugs located on the side of the engine are a premium plug and must be changed every 96,000 miles (156 000 km).

Obviously I don't have a 4.7L, just showing that these have 100k plugs. For the 5.7L it says:

32,000 Miles (52,000 km) or 24 Months Maintenance Service Schedule
❏ Replace the spark plugs (3.7L and 5.7L Engines)

I've seen a lot of comments on spark plugs w/ people claiming you can go up to 100k in the 5.7L with stock plugs (where are you getting this info?), pulling them prematurely with no "visual" defects. Why would the manual say it's okay to wait 100k to change in the 4.7L but way earlier in the 5.7L??

Anybody know which brand and type of plugs are in these two engines??
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I changed my plugs the first time at 42,000 miles, very little wear, 90+ % highway driving
I changed them the 2nd time at 9*,*** miles, electrodes were showing definite wear, same driving conditions

My Ram came with NGK plugs
others come with Champion plugs

the first time i made the mistake of buying the plugs through the dealership, at a jacked up rate
the 2nd time i bought them through RockAuto, better price then anywhere else, including auto parts stores

Go to the RockAuto website, insert your vehicle information, look under Ignition for the plugs marked OEM

yours looks to be
NGK Part # 92174 {#LZFR5C11} Standard
Twin Spark System; OEM/OES Spark Plug
$3.45 each

or
CHAMPION Part # 446 {#REC12MCC4}
Copper Plus
Gap .044; OE Type
$1.74 each
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
Arrowflinger09 is on a distinguished road

I will be attempting my first change here this week sometime.. I just hit 90k and have had the truck since 24k miles and have never changed the plugs. If I remmber Ill grab some pics and post em back here. I have to assume this will be the trucks first plug chang but cant confirm since Im second owner. I made the simple mistake of assuming 100k until I recently started throwing repeated codes for misfires.. Go me...

Any how, after reading the manual and numerous threads on the subject I ordered the OEM NGK LZFR5C-11 plugs. I checked Amazon, Ebay and Rockauto for pricing. Rockauto came out on top at $3.45 per plug or just under $61 for all 16 shipped.

Now for the fun part.... Hopefully we see some resemblance of spring here in MI in the next week or so.