DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 1st Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1987 dodge d150
Trim Level: le 150
Color: red and white
Engine: 1981-1987 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:10
dschutz1979 is on a distinguished road
Default battery not charging

I have 14 volts coming out of alternator. But when I test the battery with the engine running it shows the battery to be almost dead. Any ideas? I'm starting to think something is wrong with the wire. Can I just run another wire from the alternator over to the battery?. The.engine just shut off and I finally found out its was the ground going from the engine to the firewall. And when I fixed it this problem come up. I'm getting desperate and fed up. The alternator, battery and voltAge regulator are all new.
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

Your truck is pretty old, the old wire cold be bad. Check it with a continuity tester/multi tool. If you get 0 ohms, it's shot. Replace it with a new wire of at least the same size wire. I'm a boatbuilder and we always use tinned copper marine grade wire.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 01-01-2014, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
dbuzz77 will become famous soon enoughdbuzz77 will become famous soon enough

check the battery voltage, truck not running. look for the same voltage on the alternator. if the battery voltage isn't at the alternator, it won't charge. follow the wires to the battery to find out if the alternator is connected properly.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Thinks sheep are stupid

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Check the fusable link coming off the battery (positive) along the driver's fender. Look for a wider section of the red wire to locate the fusable link. There should be 3 if I remember correctly. The fusable link is a lead-core section of wire that is designed to fail if there is an electrical failure. Such as losing the body-ground to the firewall.

Check the wires for breaks and replace it if you find one.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 01-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 9 trucks form 77-97
Trim Level: SS/T Adventurer SE
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:40
DodgeAddict is on a distinguished road

Check the ground from the battery to the body If your blower motor is acting up (dragging) It will blow 2 possible fuse links causing a no charge condition
Old 02-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
RYAN1991 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeAddict View Post
Check the ground from the battery to the body If your blower motor is acting up (dragging) It will blow 2 possible fuse links causing a no charge condition
I have a 2005 Ram with similar issues, and my blower motor will only run on the highest setting. Could this be the same issue?
Old 02-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Thinks sheep are stupid

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAN1991 View Post
I have a 2005 Ram with similar issues, and my blower motor will only run on the highest setting. Could this be the same issue?
Yours is an '05 so there's a completely different system. In my experience, the '05 is usually the blower motor itself to be at fault.

Since your's is a 3rd Gen it may be best to start a new thread or add to an existing thread under the 3rd Gen section, heating and cooling if a search doesn't return any helpful results.

I did a search for "05 blower motor only works on high" and this is what came up:http://www.ramforumz.com/search.php?searchid=3641492

There should also be a small thermal relay under the passenger's side of the dash that may be faulty.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name

Last edited by Warlock III; 02-26-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White/Grey
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
vdubs63 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2001 Ram 1500 and it's doing a similar thing. I had a bad alternator so I replaced it with a new one from Auto Zone. I thought everything was fine but about 5 minutes after driving it the battery charge level dropped to zero and the Check Gauge light came on. I thought maybe it was a loose wire or something that caused it to do that but a little while later my dash cluster just dropped to zero on my way home. I got home and pulled out the voltage meter and the battery wasnt even charging. I pulled the positive lead and it just killed the motor. My alternator fuse is in good shape and I have looked at all my grounds and they are all in good shape, not rusted or corroded at all. I'm kind of confused at why this is happening. I have seen on some other posts where people said their blower motors wouldnt work or would only blow on high, and I do not have that problem. Why isn't it charging?
Old 03-12-2014, 11:35 PM

Vehicle: 2007 1500 Mega Cab 4X4 3.73
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:185
namretsud has a spectacular aura aboutnamretsud has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubs63 View Post
I have a 2001 Ram 1500 and it's doing a similar thing. I had a bad alternator so I replaced it with a new one from Auto Zone. I thought everything was fine but about 5 minutes after driving it the battery charge level dropped to zero and the Check Gauge light came on. I thought maybe it was a loose wire or something that caused it to do that but a little while later my dash cluster just dropped to zero on my way home. I got home and pulled out the voltage meter and the battery wasnt even charging. I pulled the positive lead and it just killed the motor. My alternator fuse is in good shape and I have looked at all my grounds and they are all in good shape, not rusted or corroded at all. I'm kind of confused at why this is happening. I have seen on some other posts where people said their blower motors wouldnt work or would only blow on high, and I do not have that problem. Why isn't it charging?
How old is your battery? Have you had your battery load tested? This winter has been very hard on batteries all over. I don't have a lot of faith in the new cheap out style of battery post connecters that are used on todays vehicles. I have changed my connecters to marine grade battery connecters and I have a lot more faith in having a good battery connection.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White/Grey
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
vdubs63 is on a distinguished road

Today I went and exchanged my alternator for another one and I also bought a new battery because my old one was shot. My battery reads 12.40 just sitting there and it reads 11.90 while running. I went to take it around the block right after I put in the new stuff and the Check Gauge light came back on and the Charge Gauge went to the red line. I checked my cables and fuses and they are all ok. I'm have run out of ideas of what could potentially be wrong.