DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:87
united316 will become famous soon enough

I found that if I turn it around 180 degrees so it basically fits backwards it seems to fit better.
2011 SLT Crew Cab 4x2, 4.7, 3.55 gears, TruXedo TruXport Soft Roll-Up Dual Latch Tonneau, Westin Black Platinum series oval step bars, Aeroskin Hood Protector, Ventvisors In-channel smoke , Husky Liners Front ard Rear Mud Guards, K&N drop in air filter.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:00 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2010-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 383hp 400lb/ft (2500/3500)
Rep:49
glcarter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by united316 View Post
I found that if I turn it around 180 degrees so it basically fits backwards it seems to fit better.
That's how I had my original cap, as when turned backwards it slipped slightly under the plastic shroud that covers the top of the radiator. This helped to hold it closed as it never really snapped into place.

Got a factory replacement off an eBay Chrysler dealer for half the price of my local dealer. I had never noticed on my original one but, the replacement on has a flat spot on the ring that is suppose to hold it onto the filler neck. This flat is on the side with the hinge. The flat spot actually lines up with a lump on the filler neck. This bulge snaps to the flat, I don't remember my stock on doing this as it was very easy to turn it 180 degrees. With the new one snapped to the bulge the cap actually snaps onto the neck and seems fairly well secured.

I now wonder if my original one had the ring properly installed at the factory and was not allowing the cap to actually fit level on the neck. Because if the hinge was pushing the cap up it might be why it would not stay closed.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:49 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST with combo packag
Color: white
Rep:136
Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcarter View Post
That's how I had my original cap, as when turned backwards it slipped slightly under the plastic shroud that covers the top of the radiator. This helped to hold it closed as it never really snapped into place.

Got a factory replacement off an eBay Chrysler dealer for half the price of my local dealer. I had never noticed on my original one but, the replacement on has a flat spot on the ring that is suppose to hold it onto the filler neck. This flat is on the side with the hinge. The flat spot actually lines up with a lump on the filler neck. This bulge snaps to the flat, I don't remember my stock on doing this as it was very easy to turn it 180 degrees. With the new one snapped to the bulge the cap actually snaps onto the neck and seems fairly well secured.

I now wonder if my original one had the ring properly installed at the factory and was not allowing the cap to actually fit level on the neck. Because if the hinge was pushing the cap up it might be why it would not stay closed.
Seems a common problem. At first I had the dealer install a new one under warranty, and it didn't stay shut any better than the original. So like you, I just turned the cap around enough for the corner of the lid to be caught under the plastic fascia....no problem at all.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2010-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 383hp 400lb/ft (2500/3500)
Rep:49
glcarter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancianne View Post
Seems a common problem. At first I had the dealer install a new one under warranty, and it didn't stay shut any better than the original. So like you, I just turned the cap around enough for the corner of the lid to be caught under the plastic fascia....no problem at all.
Did you make sure they snapped the retaining ring to the filler neck. My original was easy to turn. Figure it must not have been snapped in place. This one with the retaining ring snapped in place does not turn easily.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:50 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST with combo packag
Color: white
Rep:136
Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcarter View Post
Did you make sure they snapped the retaining ring to the filler neck. My original was easy to turn. Figure it must not have been snapped in place. This one with the retaining ring snapped in place does not turn easily.
Yes, it appears that the yellow plastic ring on the bottom is securely down past the holding bulge in the filler neck. Neither the original cap's lid nor the replacement would ever stay closed on it's own. Mine does turn easily by hand, and just keeping the lid's corner tucked up under the plastic surround does the job quite well,....when I check the coolant level, I can hear and feel a good solid "snap" when I pop the lid now. While I have not seen many people complain about this issue, I still have to think that either Ram's QC tolerances or design in this area is flawed. I have a similar issue with the auto tranny dipstick,...even though I push it down fully, it still manages to work it's way back up a good half inch. The original dipstick would ride itself up and out to the point that I could see a tiny bit of the actual dipstick slide visible. After about 4 dealer replacements, I've come to the conclusion that this last one is the best that Ram is ever going to provide. The little cover at the top of the dipstick does sufficiently protect the tube opening enough to satisfy me. I'm guessing that the force of stiffness of the dipstick blade is just strong enough to overcome the somewhat of an S-curve located in the upper portion of the dipstick tube. No longer being a newbie chick anymore (unfortunately), and having owned 29 different autos and trucks so far in my lifetime, I think that these issues are not routine. Ram is a wonderful and innovative truck brand, but like other mfrs, all do not perform due diligence and follow up on everything. Nothing is ever perfect (even me, LOL)
Old 03-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Chrome
Color: Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:10
Nwdodge is on a distinguished road

The dealers are the thieves