DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-23-2014, 06:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 ram 1500 4x4 5.9l
Color: white
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
dodgempettrey is on a distinguished road
Default new guy here old dodge owner

Hello all my first post here. I have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9L. just bought it about four weeks ago the trany started humming and i got on here last night and seen about the fluid so i was going to change the filter and fluid this weekend. Well it didn't last just drove it home in reverse about a mile because there was a loud pop and now no fwd drive. I am an industrial mechanic on forklifts and construction equipment. My question is how much is it to do it my self to rebuild and what should i do to it since i'm taking it apart as far as upgrading it? any advise would be great or tips to look out for in the processe of repairs.
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2014, 06:55 PM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

We have a very good transmission mechanic for the 2nd Gen transmissions. He can give you the cost, breakdown and rebuild process. He's walked quite a few members through it step by step. I'm going to PM him with this link.

I just stopped by his page and he hasn't signed on in a few days. Once he gets the notification I'd expect you to get some input, so hang in there.

Last edited by Warlock III; 02-23-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:28 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Howdy, and welcome to what's affectionately known as "The Z". We love stories and pictures. Thanks for sharing. There's a lot of great knowledge, ideas and info available here on the Z. Don't hesitate to ask a question, share your knowledge and opinions, or boast about your beast.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgempettrey View Post
Hello all my first post here. I have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9L. just bought it about four weeks ago the trany started humming and i got on here last night and seen about the fluid so i was going to change the filter and fluid this weekend. Well it didn't last just drove it home in reverse about a mile because there was a loud pop and now no fwd drive. I am an industrial mechanic on forklifts and construction equipment. My question is how much is it to do it my self to rebuild and what should i do to it since i'm taking it apart as far as upgrading it? any advise would be great or tips to look out for in the processe of repairs.
Well assuming that the transmission cannot be easily repaired and would need a rebuild. Cost is somewhere in the range of 400-800 bucks. This would include the replacement of the friction discs and plates ($200 for those alone). The seal kit ($65), bushing kit ($50), electronics ($40). Bands ($50)... If you buy from my supplier makcotransmissionparts.com they have a page specific to our model transmissions with all the parts broken down into the years. I have a service manual I have send you that will guide you step by step during the rebuild process. I will message you my email address, just respond to the email and I will send the PDF your way.

As far as how clutches and the size, well that varies in application. The service manual has a chart that will give you a specific number of plates required and their thickness. Alto Corporation has a online catalog with the application and thickness. Just record the part number from the alto catalog and then give the P/N and Qty to Makco and they will have them drop shipped from Alto. I also get them from Alto and spoke with the president on Alto, great company all around. Great products, gosh, they can withstand a crap load of abuse!

Normally I would tell people to diagnose the transmission before going into a rebuild, but with the age of these trucks it is just more worthy to rebuild it. Atleast you increase the value by rebuilding it vs. repairing it!

As far as a torque converter replacement, just buy one from advanced auto parts, they are just as good as stock but at 1/6th the price. If you ever have anymore questions or get stuck at anypoint email me and message me and reply here.

I don't get a chance to go on the site because I'm in school.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Oh, as far as upgrades...

External cooler, Replace Front Servo with Sonnax Part. (Check Sonnax Website for P/N). Replace the manual valve, replace pressure regulator valve. All of this should fix buzz and jerk in reverse, slipping reverse, delayed 2-3 shift, long slide 2-3 shift, no fluid flow in park.