DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-06-2012, 06:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Then verify (next time this happens) whether the PRNDL display is actually reading "P" or not. Next step would be to have someone look underneath the truck to see whether the rear driveshaft is rotating (as the truck rolls) or not.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Hunter Green
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
denis1278 is on a distinguished road

Yes, it was in the "P" position. If the driveshaft is rotating, would that mean that the parking pawl is not engaging?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:03 AM

TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis1278 View Post
Yes, it was in the "P" position. If the driveshaft is rotating, would that mean that the parking pawl is not engaging?
Typically, yes, if the rear driveshaft is rotating, that means the parking pawl is not engaged. Note, however, that if something is broken inside the transfer case (between the transmission and the rear driveshaft) that could allow the driveshaft to turn, even if the trans is in Park. Of course, I'd expect that that would also give you "no drive any gear", so I don't suspect that's your problem. However, do you normally drive in 4x4 mode? Will the truck drive in 2WD mode? I guess if your transfer case output (to the rear driveshaft) was broken, it's possible you could be driving the truck through the front driveshaft (only), and then you could have no Park, depending on the transfer case design. But you'd think the dealer would have found that.

The best way to prove conclusively whether the Park mechanism in the trans is functioning or not is to monitor the trans output speed (using a dealer scan tool) while it's rolling (in Park). Note that the key would still need to be ON for the PCM to remain "alive" and be broadcasting this speed. If the speed reads zero, then your parking pawl IS working and something is broken (or slipping) beyond that point. If the speed reads some positive value, then the parking pawl is not engaging.

Your dealer may be able to loan you a scanner (called a Wi-Tech tool) that can be programmed to record your transmission data. I believe they can set it up with a trigger button, so you just let it monitor continuously, and then when you get the "rolling in Park" you hit the trigger, and it saves the previous 30 seconds (and the next 30 seconds) of data, which the dealer can then download and examine. Have them set up a recording template which includes turbine (input) speed, output speed, current gear, PRNDL position, and wheel speed readings. Then maybe you can "catch it in the act" and see what's going on.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

got my drivers permit in 73, one of the first things my father taught me is to always use the parking brake. when did this become obsolete?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
Bent21606 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
got my drivers permit in 73, one of the first things my father taught me is to always use the parking brake. when did this become obsolete?
in 74. lol my old chevy didnt even have a parking brake(cable stretch). but with the new truck or any other car that has a parking break when ever i park on a steep hill i always use it
Old 02-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
Trim Level: ME
Color: Gray
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Jgraham is on a distinguished road

I have a very nice 2011 2500 that has done the same thing. Going to the dealer tomorrow. I also called Dodge. The parking brake was on with the truck in park. I have little kids, so it could be very dangerous.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgraham View Post
I have a very nice 2011 2500 that has done the same thing. Going to the dealer tomorrow. I also called Dodge. The parking brake was on with the truck in park. I have little kids, so it could be very dangerous.
Did it just do this once? Or will it always roll in Park? Did you notice whether the dash display was showing "P"? Will your parking brake normally hold the truck (by itself) on whatever grade you were on? Did you hear any noises (pops, bangs, grinds, rachets, etc.) as it was rolling? Was the engine running, or was it off with the key removed?

Does Park work OK now? Or is there still an obvious problem?
Old 03-01-2014, 11:41 PM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 4x4 Sport 5.7
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Jstin is on a distinguished road

That is dangerous. Who uses their parking brake with an automatic in normal circumstances? Not me. It's pretty flat around Chicago. I'm more afraid that it wouldn't release. I will turn into the curb on a hill.
2011 RAM 1500 Sport 4x4 5.7 3:55 Gears, 18" Magnaflow, Drop in K&N filter, BT CC, TonnoPro Lo-Roll, front tow hooks, cabin filter, Moes 85mm TB, Homemade CAI, Bilstein leveled 2.1", tailgate assist. AVS in channel visors
Old 03-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Chrome
Color: Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Nwdodge is on a distinguished road

That is normal