DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dark Red
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
THasse is on a distinguished road
Red face How much wattage can the system handle?

Hey guys, I got an 05 Ram 1500 QC. I did the HID conversion and am very pleased with the lows, would still like to do something about my highs for those long open roads in NE during deer season. I'm thinking about installing some implement lights from the local ag retailer but I need to know how many amps this system can handle. Since there's no fuse for the lighting on these trucks, how much can it take before I start frying things? I'm going to bypass the "high" bulb in the headlight and run that wire down to the new lights and it will likely be significantly brighter as they could be seen as "less than street legal" for intensity. Any thoughts?
It's either that or wire them directly to the battery with a switch that engages when I kick on the brights. Either way, I want them to run when my brights would normally be on, so it kicks my low and fogs off.
Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:43 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Typically, a halogen bulb will have an in-rush current of 27 amps with a run-time current draw of around 4 to 5 amps.

You could always use a relay to avoid stressing the high beam electrical system.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:00 PM
Man Up And Cam Up

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1010
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by THasse View Post
Hey guys, I got an 05 Ram 1500 QC. I did the HID conversion and am very pleased with the lows, would still like to do something about my highs for those long open roads in NE during deer season. I'm thinking about installing some implement lights from the local ag retailer but I need to know how many amps this system can handle. Since there's no fuse for the lighting on these trucks, how much can it take before I start frying things? I'm going to bypass the "high" bulb in the headlight and run that wire down to the new lights and it will likely be significantly brighter as they could be seen as "less than street legal" for intensity. Any thoughts?
It's either that or wire them directly to the battery with a switch that engages when I kick on the brights. Either way, I want them to run when my brights would normally be on, so it kicks my low and fogs off.
Thanks in advance!!
To add to what monster had just said the relay would be the optimum way to go about this, so run power the lights directly from the battery as you stated but use the high beam wire as a trigger for you relay, you could just splice into the wire for your high beams so they would still be active but it would also engage your futured plans lights to kick on and off as well
Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dark Red
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
THasse is on a distinguished road

Thanks a bunch for the input guys!! I'm thinking your right about the relay being the way to go. It was as much curiosity as much as it was planning. Hopefully it'll get nicer out here so I can go out and get some brighter lights on this darn truck!!!
Rep point for both of you if I can remember how to do it! lol
Old 01-30-2014, 06:43 PM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by THasse View Post
Thanks a bunch for the input guys!! I'm thinking your right about the relay being the way to go. It was as much curiosity as much as it was planning. Hopefully it'll get nicer out here so I can go out and get some brighter lights on this darn truck!!!
Rep point for both of you if I can remember how to do it! lol
Something else to keep in mind is the size of the wire versus the load (amount of amps) and fusing it properly.

If you're going to draw a heavy load (30A or so) I would run at least #10 wire. It's probably over kill, but better safe than sorry.

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill