DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-16-2014, 10:48 PM
R A M M S T E I N

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC Hemi
Trim Level: Sportabulous
Color: White
Rep:580
RAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to all

So I'm confused .. or old fashioned .. or showing my age

But weren't 'fog' lights always yellow? Which is why you see 3000K HID's slated as fog lights?

Quote:
Color Temperature: 3000K
3000K emits GOLDEN YELLOW color and offers superior penetration power during adverse weather epically in dense fog. The applications of the 3000K kit aim more towards secondary lighting apparatus such as high beam and fog lights. This is the color temperature that will catch all the attention on the road.
When I see guys buying 6000+K HID kits for their 'fog' lights it confuses me. Do you refer to them as fog due to their low to the ground positioning? Traditionally you'd see fogs mounted below headlights.

Can someone help me clear this up? *rhetorical*

Better Q is what are your objectives? You sure aren't going for 'fog' lamps

Required reading from lighting guru Daniel Stern

* 2014 RAM Sport CC* BDS 6" Suspension* Fox 2.5 Coil-over front * Fox 2.0 rear & Pro-Ride 3" coil* 3.92 Gearing* Fuel hostages in 20x9 +1
37x12.5R20 Pro Comp Xtreme MT2
* Diablo Sport Trinity T1000 * Cabin Air Filter
* ARH LT headers * Magnaflow catback/5" tips * 87mm Ported TB * Moroso Polished Catch Can*_QTP_electric_cutout_&_3"_turn_down * Legmaker Short Ram * S&B custom filter * Outerwears Pre-filter * Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau

Old 01-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2793
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM357 View Post

But weren't 'fog' lights always yellow? Which is why you see 3000K HID's slated as fog lights?

When I see guys buying 6000+K HID kits for their 'fog' lights it confuses me. Do you refer to them as fog due to their low to the ground positioning? Traditionally you'd see fogs mounted below headlights.

Can someone help me clear this up? *rhetorical*

Better Q is what are your objectives? You sure aren't going for 'fog' lamps

Required reading from lighting guru Daniel Stern
You are correct on the fog lights being yellow. 3000k is the best light output for fogs. I already have HID's in my heads and just want some more light for the hell of it and for show. I don't like the look of the empty holes in the bumper where the fogs should be. The light is also more scattered so it gets more to the side with fogs, and that is nice because I don't feel like hittin Bambi on the roads at night (80% backroad night driving, reason I got HID's). They are just called fog lights because idk, thats where the factory fog lights would be if I had them stock. I like lights. My truck is bright, loud and big (just need the 6" to go with the 35's).

Edit:.. This winter has also gotten to me with the lack of mods I have been able to do, so it is something that will take ten mins to do and will satisfy me for another week. We are to busy in my shop getting prepared for an indoor RV show coming up for me to be able to pull in and swap out all my speakers to my type S, and to cold outside to do anything really lol.
Tow mirrors up for the haters

Last edited by Canadian Hemi Pride; 01-16-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Quote:

You are correct, sir. .The proper (or should I say more accurate) way of referring to those lights that are either hung under the bumper, or mounted within would be driving lights.

Here is a good rule of thumb... yellow/ amber= fog light white/blue/purple/ non-yellow/amber= driving light

I hope this clears things up

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 01-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
You are correct, sir. .The proper (or should I say more accurate) way of referring to those lights that are either hung under the bumper, or mounted within would be driving lights.

Here is a good rule of thumb... yellow/ amber= fog light white/blue/purple/ non-yellow/amber= driving light

I hope this clears things up

Exco
Well thank you Exco for the confirmation .. Who knows, those 10k's may last a week and then I will just throw in actually amber bulbs for fogs.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:40 PM
R A M M S T E I N

RAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to all

I look forward to seeing those devils shine! haha Bambis everywhere will have burnt out retinas .. stumbling around in the dark as you cruise by.

I have a '14. I'm wondering if it's possible to shut off the headlights at night BUT keep running the fogs. I also commute through the country at night about 65% of my drive and during heavy snowfall conditions I'd love the option of running only the lower fogs once I retrofit in HID 3000K lights. That could make all the difference.

* 2014 RAM Sport CC* BDS 6" Suspension* Fox 2.5 Coil-over front * Fox 2.0 rear & Pro-Ride 3" coil* 3.92 Gearing* Fuel hostages in 20x9 +1
* ARH LT headers * Magnaflow catback/5" tips * 87mm Ported TB * Moroso Polished Catch Can*_QTP_electric_cutout_&_3"_turn_down * Legmaker Short Ram * S&B custom filter * Outerwears Pre-filter * Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau

Old 01-17-2014, 05:13 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I look forward to seeing those devils shine! haha Bambis everywhere will have burnt out retinas .. stumbling around in the dark as you cruise by.

I have a '14. I'm wondering if it's possible to shut off the headlights at night BUT keep running the fogs. I also commute through the country at night about 65% of my drive and during heavy snowfall conditions I'd love the option of running only the lower fogs once I retrofit in HID 3000K lights. That could make all the difference.
I know on my 3rd gen, I can run the fogs with just the parking lights on, no head lights.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Quote:

Oh bambi wont know what hit it lol. Idk about 4th gens because you have automatic lights like gm vehicles. 3rd gens I have to manually turn my lights on.
Yeah with all the back roads, hids are awesome. 3000k fogs would be steller aswell.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:23 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Alright so i have ran into an issue with the hid "fog" lights. Got them all wired up and grounded and have ran a power wire to a switch with a 20amp max and then to a fuse (tried 15 and 20) and then to the battery. When I flick the switch, the bulbs quickly flash and then if the switch is on will be keep flashing every 10-15 seconds. So looks like I needed a stronger switch and a stronger fuse (I have up to 35amp on me). I called it quits when my hands and feet were frozen at -16. Trial and error I guess..
Old 01-21-2014, 02:12 AM
R A M M S T E I N

I'm no expert but what if you bypassed the switch right now, and using a fuse went directly to powering them off the batter to kinda bench test them and get a bead on whats up.

Yeah, I saw Niagara issued an extreme cold warning. Brrrrrr.

Thanks for the intermediate report man; good luck!

Old 01-21-2014, 02:18 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Quote:
I'm no expert but what if you bypassed the switch right now, and using a fuse went directly to powering them off the batter to kinda bench test them and get a bead on whats up.

Yeah, I saw Niagara issued an extreme cold warning. Brrrrrr.

Thanks for the intermediate report man; good luck!
Ya I am thinking of trying that, and maybe also buying a relay and testing that out. Was just getting way to cold and late to mess around.