DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 4.7L Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Did you get your CEL figured out yet Sean?
Rick
Old 12-22-2013, 08:24 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'm going to fix the exhaust leak on the 27th. I don't know how yet lol. The exhaust is leaking at the band clamp. I'm going to first try wrapping the joint with header wrap, then installing the band clamp. The code I'm getting is a lean code on the rear O2 sensor that is right next to the band clamp. It's nothing to do with the cats or catalytic efficiency, so the non fouler's are working from what I can tell. I've done probably 1000 miles since the exhaust work.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:36 PM

Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

High heat Copper silicone,lots of it on the band clamp and pipe,then tighten down and let cure for an hour or so.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:07 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thanks. I'm going to try exhaust wrap first, if it doesn't work I might try that.

My CEL keeps going on/off due to the leak. I'm just happy it's not cat related. The truck is getting noticeably better mpg and seems slightly more powerful. I'm surprised to say that removing the cats is probably the most noticeable modification I've done performance wise next to the tuner. I'm getting about 22mpg at 70-75mph pretty easily currently. That used to be pretty rare maybe at 65mph.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:34 AM

Finally was nice enough yesterday to crawl around under mine.
My back 02 sensor is in a differant spot then yours Sean
The back sensor actually goes into the side of the cat itself,not in the pipe.
Not sure where in hell to mount a bung for my A/F gauge now,lol.
It says to mount it at least 18 inches downstream of the manifold and ahead of the cat.
My cats are roughly only 6 inches behind the manifolds,so to get the A/F gauge mounted 18" downstream of the manifolds,i'm well behind the cats.
Not sure how the A/F will work if it's behind the cats.
Kinda puts me in a bind for modding the exhaust,as i'm wondering if the non foulers are even an option on the later trucks with the sensor into the cat itself.
This is the first one i've seen where the sensor is actually in the cat itself.

Last edited by Hornet; 12-28-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:03 PM

Mine were the same hornet, the downstream sensors were in the center of the cats. Don't see why the non fouler trick wouldn't work there.

I tried exhaust wrap it was very difficult to tighten the clamp since the diameter was larger, and didn't seem to seal that well. Then tried wrapping the joints with tin foil a few times before putting the clamp on, this worked fairly well. Couldn't hear or feel any air around the clamps after but the code came back so it's still leaking. I'm either going to try a different type of clamp(maybe a donut) or move the rear O2 sensor closer to the engine by like 12" + or as much as possible.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:51 PM

I'm really interested in your progress.

After looking mine over close yesterday,the crossover pipe needs some work that's for sure.
So if you get your cel figured out,let me know,lol.
My cats just might fall off,and a new crossover pipe might go in,if you get your's sorted out.

The code it's setting isn't keeping it from going into closed loop ,or sending it into limp home mode is it?

Rick
Old 12-29-2013, 09:08 AM

Yeah the downstream sensors don't really effect the performance at all,they just monitor emissions and compare a/f ratio to the upstream. But they don't effect how it runs. The easiest way to deal with this is to get a diablo tuner and have a custom tune and they can just turn off the rear sensors. But I refuse to give up the superchips because it's better than the diablo custom tune I had before. I just need to get a clamp that seals. I should have thought a head a little more too and not put the sensor right by the clamp. They say you should not put a sensor within 18" of a clamp, I wasn't thinking of that when we welded the bung in.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:45 AM

Just to keep you updated I figured out what I'm going to do as a fix for my leak. I'm going to replace all the lap joints/band clamps with these ball/socket joints:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...ductId=1353765

My light isn't on anymore, the tin foil helped but it's still leaking. The light was going on/off for a while and has finally stayed off. But once I weld in these new joints there's no way it'll leak.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:50 AM

How many joints do you have to replace Sean?

Rick