DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:258
Bigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb nice way to install off-road lights and other accessories

Well i was bored at work and was goin thru youtube videos and came across this diy way of organizing your wiring for auxiliary lighting. thought id share the link cause i assume others will think its cool too.
im gonna try to make one when i get a chance to hook up all the lighting on my ram!

let me know what you guys think

*Bedliner paint job, leveling kit, 3'' body lift, 17'' eagle alloy rims series 197, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires, S&B cold air intake, 52mm ported and bored throttle body, Superchips 3865 programmer
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500HD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:563
Iqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to all

interesting....

To many mods to list ask and I shall give you all the information, and help I can.
Everything from outside to interior.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:15 AM

Bigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the rough

ya would deff clean up all the wires i have running every which way! lol

*Bedliner paint job, leveling kit, 3'' body lift, 17'' eagle alloy rims series 197, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires, S&B cold air intake, 52mm ported and bored throttle body, Superchips 3865 programmer
Old 12-09-2013, 09:45 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

nice, good idea's
Old 12-09-2013, 11:54 AM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 1500, 2000 Ram
Trim Level: Laramie, SLT
Color: Blue
Rep:69
slimpartywagon will become famous soon enough

you mean you guys don't wire stuff up like this? Well, I don't use a plastic box to house everything, but I do mount my fuse box and relays to either the firewall, or the dash supports, depending on where I am using power at.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2012 R/T, 2000 Ram Off Road
Trim Level: R/T / Larmie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
frickenbored will become famous soon enough

Yea I bet that box is really nice....oh and that thing she was building, thats pretty cool too

Old 12-13-2013, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimpartywagon View Post
you mean you guys don't wire stuff up like this? Well, I don't use a plastic box to house everything, but I do mount my fuse box and relays to either the firewall, or the dash supports, depending on where I am using power at.
Well i usually use the wire harness that comes with the lights but that means every time you buy a new set of lights your gonna be spending time running wires... i just like this idea because it is setup to go to a five switch panel and say you only have 3 sets of lights then you have two switches hooked up and wired for lights or anything you wanna wire into your truck ready to just plug in and be done with later down the road...

i dont know its just something i came across.. do you guys have a better way of doing it? i just wanna make it as clean as possible and not be running multiple wires everywhere

also i know the switch and relay can handle a set of lights but if i wire it this way will it be able to handle two sets of lights on one switch for my kc lights on top of my truck or will they have to be wired to two diff switches for 4 lights?

just lookin for ideas on how i should do it. just ordered a new kinetik 2000 battery which will be hooked to my 1400 i already have. so after winter im prolly gonna work on all my wiring for the truck

Old 12-14-2013, 12:00 AM

I never have used the Harness that come with the lights. I have always done it exactly like the video shows, minus the box. The only thing I would have done differently with the box since it allows for such a nice neat custom install, is used Relay Blocks that would allow them to be mounted to the side of the box instead of just laying loosely. also when I add a new fusee block, and a relay, I get a fuse box that will allow me to add in several new circuits if I need, at the same time I wire in the same amount of relay connectors as empty fuse slots, so that all I have to do is attach the wires, hook up a switch, and plug in the relay and fuse to make the new circuit run.

Right now I am working on swapping in power doors into my 2000 Ram, taking them out of my 1995 Ram donor truck. Since the wiring isn't comaptable, Instead of splicing into the 2000 Fuse block, I decided it better to go ahead and build me a new accessory power distribution center. I know that I need 3 power circuits to make every thing work, but I also have 2 sets of off-road lights, and a Hydraulic winch that I just kind of through the wiring together on. So while I am at it, I am adding a 12 circuit fuse box and 9 Relay Connectors, I know i won't be using that many relays for a while, but knowing I have that ability should the need arise is just a good piece of mind.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
also i know the switch and relay can handle a set of lights but if i wire it this way will it be able to handle two sets of lights on one switch for my kc lights on top of my truck or will they have to be wired to two diff switches for 4 lights?
you can run as many relays as you want off of one switch. I wouldn't put more than 4 lights on per Relay, depending on the load. How many amps is each set fused at? and How many amps are your relays rated at?
Old 12-14-2013, 02:14 AM

ah ok well i have electricity class next sem so maybe that will help me come up with the best way for me to wire everything correctly. just wanna make sure i do it right the first time so its done with hahah but as for the lights my fronts are kc 100 watt and the off road ones are 130watt. not sure on amps id have to look at them i think ive heard average is about 9amps per light. the relays are just the standard automotive relays so if i remember correctly i think 30/40 amp