DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-14-2013, 07:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:18
kevinhann is on a distinguished road
Default Steering wheel mounted audio controls ADD RDZ

I have a 2012 ram 1500 alt with factory evic. I added the radio controls to the steering wheel along with a new steering wheel harness. I went to the dealership to get the RDZ sales code added and they told me that they couldn't add that particular code because the truck didn't come with radio controls. (same dealership added remote start, nav, backup camera, and ITBM). I then called chrysler corp. to ask why and they said it can be done but the dealership needs to call the business center.

Does anyone know what that is? and has anyone successfully added steering wheel audio controls?

note: yes i saw the older posts on the subject but they were over a year old.
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I found one person that could do it but it requires me removing my tipm and mailing it to him.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Ok I'm sending off my tipm to Jon at after hours mopar performance in Florida. If this works I'll let everyone now so hopefully we can start getting this mod done even though the dealers won't do it.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Worked. Got my TIPM back after 3 days plugged it in and they worked.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 CNG BiFuel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:10
ryanhoelzer is on a distinguished road

Awesome. That's on my to do list.

Please let us know the details.

Did you add controls to an existing wheel or change the wheel? Did you add UConnect buttons on the front and volume/tuning on the back? Was it adding buttons that required a new harness or is the harness required with a wheel change? If you added buttons how much did the buttons and harness cost and how was the install?

How much did it cost to have the TIPM programmed and how much work is it removing and reinstalling?

What dealer has done your other upgrades? There's one in town that has free labor if you buy the parts from them, and their prices are in line with everyone else. Adding remote start and power tailgate lock to mine next week.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 12-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:163
bendodge has a spectacular aura aboutbendodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Steering wheel controls

I asked the service manager about doing this and he took me over to talk the tech that actually dose this.I explained to him that my truck was a 2012 express and i wanted to add steering wheel controls he said it would be no problem. Told him about all the different outcomes I had found on the internet and he again reassured me this was no problem and that he had all the codes.At this point I asked him about getting my puddle lights and turn signals programed in on my factory flip up mirrors that I had added and again the response was no problem he would just program in the code.I am going to order the parts and have them program everything. I will update when I get all completed.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanhoelzer View Post
Awesome. That's on my to do list.

Please let us know the details.

Did you add controls to an existing wheel or change the wheel? Did you add UConnect buttons on the front and volume/tuning on the back? Was it adding buttons that required a new harness or is the harness required with a wheel change? If you added buttons how much did the buttons and harness cost and how was the install?

How much did it cost to have the TIPM programmed and how much work is it removing and reinstalling?

What dealer has done your other upgrades? There's one in town that has free labor if you buy the parts from them, and their prices are in line with everyone else. Adding remote start and power tailgate lock to mine next week.

Thanks,

Ryan
i work for a salvage yard so i have been able to do most of my upgrades for free by getting the parts and installing them myself. now the radio buttons if you don't have them then the wires are not their for them you will need the harness. what i did was i got a leather steering wheel from work that we were throwing away because it was torn, i took it apart got the harness, uconnect/evic button cluster to replace my evic only button cluster, radio control buttons, and rear bezel. now the bezel i sanded and painted to match my dark grey one and installed everything else in about 15 min.

the TIPM reprogram costed $165 +shipping both ways the after hours mopar in florida. i have a spare TIPM that i installed while mine was getting worked on (3 day turnaround with priority mail medium flat rate box.) not sure what i'm going to do with the tipm now though (possible paper weight).

Ive been using meador chrysler jeep dodge in fort worth as holt near me wasn't very helpful with my nav upgrade.

meador has done sales codes only for me i've don't the installs myself.
RHR NAV radio
Backup Camera
Remote start
Trailer brake controller (i had to add the can bus wires but the programmed it)
Fog lights

i added home link (its just plug n play and it works no dealer needed)
Electric tailgate lock, plug n play no dealer needed
microphone mirror with home built jumper harness, plug n play no dealer needed
and TL projector retrofit, dealer frowned apon.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendodge View Post
I asked the service manager about doing this and he took me over to talk the tech that actually dose this.I explained to him that my truck was a 2012 express and i wanted to add steering wheel controls he said it would be no problem. Told him about all the different outcomes I had found on the internet and he again reassured me this was no problem and that he had all the codes.At this point I asked him about getting my puddle lights and turn signals programed in on my factory flip up mirrors that I had added and again the response was no problem he would just program in the code.I am going to order the parts and have them program everything. I will update when I get all completed.
if he is able to add RDZ to your truck let us know if he used a special procedure to do it as the tech i asked to do it was confident at first but after trying came back and said he couldn't do it. best of luck i hope he can do it so others can follow suit.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

sorry ryan i forgot to answer your difficulty question about TIPM Removal and install. it take about 2 minutes taking your time. basically remove negative cable from battery, remove positive lead from TIPM (fuse box), release 4 mouting tabs around the TIPM, lift and disconnect all connectors(don't worry they only go back one way and most are color coded as well). to install reverse procedure. its quite simple.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Granite
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:40
06Stang is on a distinguished road

I work for a Chrysler dealer. For some reason when adding the codes some just dont show up in the list to be added. This is the same for all new Chryslers. He may think its easy to do but after the technician looks into the code menu, he'll realize its not in the list and he cant add it. I've tried many times on my own truck I've even called the tech hotline to get my puddle lights turned on. No dice fellas.