DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuzz77 View Post
both had trans coolers and the flow stopped because the coolers would not let the trans warm up. both were replaced under warranty. low and behold you have a bypass on your truck now.
Ever heard of cardboard,it makes a great Canuck winter front,if you don't have one.
I'm gonna out on a limb here,the cooler bypass went in for gas mileage more then anything.
Just how hard were you driving these while they were cold.
Did you let the vehicles have a decent warm-up/were they plugged in etc.
Got a few miles of cold weather driving under my belt,and the majority of cold weather tranny problems were by my stupidity more then anything
I've drove things at -50F,stick trannies wouldn't shift till you had a mile or 2 under your belt,auto's would groan and whine for a few minutes on start-up.
You didn't try to shift a stick till it warmed up some,and an auto you didn't boot it till it was warmed up some too,drive with the perverable "egg under the foot" when it's cold.
If you took 2 trannies out because of cold, i'm mighty suspicious of your cold weather driving habits and your cold weather preparation,just saying

Just for the record only some of the trucks have the cooler bypass.

Thanks TE,i sorta thought that'd be the principle they worked under.

Last edited by Hornet; 11-26-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: I was a bit rude
Old 11-26-2013, 08:57 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
dbuzz77 will become famous soon enoughdbuzz77 will become famous soon enough

it's not nice to cut people down when you don't know them. when the van trans went there were 50 vans at the 1 dealer with blown trans.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:42 PM

Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

low and behold you have a bypass on your truck now.[/QUOTE]

Might be me,but i took this as kind of a smart-ass remark .
Actually took the majority of your comments maybe the wrong way,as to me you came across as telling me i didn't know shi't about trannies
Old 11-26-2013, 09:52 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
dbuzz77 will become famous soon enoughdbuzz77 will become famous soon enough

i read it again and it didn't sound like that to me, but sorry if you took it that way, i was just telling my experience.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:55 PM

My apologies then,i'm sorry.
Rick
Old 07-13-2014, 04:18 PM

Finally had enough of looking at my tranny temp being hotter then the motor temp,and ripped the damn thermostat out of the system.
Especially after i swapped out the stock 195F engine thermostat for a 180F Jet thermostat.
The damn transmission still ran at 199F,even when the motor was running at 196F.
The wife and i went for an easy evening drive last night,and that was the final straw.
The truck never got over 50mph/80kmh in a 100 mile drive,the motor ran at a pretty constant 192 to 194,it was a fairly hot evening,and the transmission ran at 198/199,that was enough,the thermostat came out today
It's not a wax motor T.E,it's a bi-metal spring thermostat,same as the engines thermostat.
Took the thing apart to see if i could internally modify it,but it's not really modifiable,so i just left it out,and ran tranny line hoses.
Truck runs way cooler on the tranny,today we're about 85F,and i ran it down the highway at 85 mph for a little over 30miles,tranny ran right at 160F,motor ran at 194F.
I like those tranny temps a hell'va lot better then it's former 200F to 210F.
With the stock 195 thermostat,motor ran at roughly 205 to 210F and the tranny used to run the same temps.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:14 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Just FYI stock engine coolant tstat is 205 deg F, not the typical 195 like they used to be.

I also am pretty sure it's a wax tstat, could be wrong though.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:21 PM

Nope stock engine thermostat is 195F or 91C Sean.
Just replaced mine,and it's stamped right into the thermostat.
Napa / Bumper to Bumper / Chrysler all list the 2013 4.7 at 195F.
Mine always ran hot,and now i know why.
When i pulled the stock 195F thermostat out,it had a chunk of silicone jammed into the bi-metal spring,preventing the thermostat from opening fully,took it back to the tech that kept telling me the truck was in spec at 215F,and showed him the thermostat,he didn't have a hell'va lot to say other then "would you look at that".
The piece of silicone has been there from when the truck was assembled,as i bought the truck new,and it's never been worked on

Tranny thermostat is definitely a bi-metal spring design,no wax motor,i had it in pieces,trying to modify it,lol.
Gave up trying to modify it,as it's an open chamber internally with a sliding piston assembly,so i just plumbed the lines together with rubber tranny line.
Basically duplicating your truck Sean,as the thermostat didn't come into play until 2012 as far as i can gather up.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

That's odd, sounds like your engine tstat is different than mine. Mine was a 205 deg F.

Yeah I don't normally get over ~150 deg F for trans temps unless towing in the mountains or something like that.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:39 PM

I'm smiling now,lol.
We're at 87F today,and i was lead footing it around,did a 40 mile blast on the freeway at 85 to 90 mph,and the tranny stayed right at 165F.
Basically i just duplicated the earlier trucks on the cooler lines Sean.
I wonder if there's a differant engine thermostat rating for the pre-thermal mangement trucks.
I checked pretty well everybody for thermostats,had both the listed Gates and Stants in my hands,and they were both stamped 195F.
Then went over the the local dealer and had them look up the stock rating,as i was under the impression the stock one was 205F too,but they list the stock thermostat for the 13's at 195F too.
Then i decided to bite the bullet and spring for the Jet version,as i figured Chysler was wacked on their thermostat rating,as my truck always ran 210 or hotter right from new,which i thought was a little high if the thermostat is supposedly rated at 195,but the piece of silicone stuck into my factory thermostat,is why i think mine ran hotter then normal Sean.
I'm not much on pic's,but i'll see if i can get one of my orginal thermostat posted,with the piece of silicone wound into it.
Give me a day or so,as i get my young neighbour to post pic's for me,lol
Rick