DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-06-2013, 05:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
Leons is on a distinguished road
Default Remove factory air suspension

Hello to all, i'm new on the forum,

I bought a 2013 ram 1500 4x4 Laramie crewcab with factory air suspension.
I would like to lift the truck 6" ( a true 6")
I already know that there is no alternative than to remove the airsuspension alltogether.

i ordered the following wheels and tires:
Fuel offroad D537 Maverick black&machined 22x9,5
Toyo open country MT 37x13,5x22

I still have to pul the trigger regarding the liftkit, i'm leaning towards the bds 6" coilover. That is because i here good things about bds, but it also seems my only option Because I need a complete suspension stystem not just add-ons and the bds kit seems to be a complete lifted replacement.

Hope you can help me with a few questions:
1: is there a better alterative to the bds kit?
2: will the bds kit give me a treu 6" lift if i opt for the 5" rear coils
3: if the truck will have any rake with the 5" rears, how can i compensate the front up? i would like the truck to be levelled...
4: I read on this forum that the truck will get "lazy" with the bigger tires, and that I might need gear changes... What do you reccommend? i don't do regular heavy towing. Are there gear kits available?

Thanks in advance.... And.. Yes I paid extra for the airsuspension, but did not realize its a pain in the xxx when you want to lift...

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Leon
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2793
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even know what to say about the whole suspension swap.. You may also have to worry about the computer and everything because the whole truck is intertwined to work with the air suspension set-up.. On the topic of your truck's gears.. Do you know what gear ratio you are running right now?

BDS makes amazing lifts.. But I don't know if any company truly sits at 6" because once everything settles down, it will be a little smaller then original. For the question involving leveling.. You could always put adjustables struts in the front.. usually is one of the most common ways and works with lifts.

I would first check in about your warranty with the airsuspension and if changing the whole vehicles ride system from air to coil-over will put you at risk of voiding anything.
Tow mirrors up for the haters
Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 PM
R A M M S T E I N

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC Hemi
Trim Level: Sportabulous
Color: White
Rep:580
RAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to all

Hi Leon,

I'm in a similar situation so I'll make some comments. The air suspension I cannot comment on though as I didn't get that (specifically because I wanted to lift). As someone stated it may be a complex issue as the computer is involved at a few 'levels'.

As far as a level stance on the truck, I can say that the standard BDS coil-over kit comes with 3" rear coils. Don't confuse this by thinking the rear of your truck will end up lower. The 3" simply represents how much higher than stock the BDS kit must lift the rear of the truck to achieve a near level attitude. **Remember that stock 1500 4x4's come to us with approximately 3" of added height in the rear. BDS adds another 3" so that your NET gain is 6 inches of lift - front and back. Level stance should be within .5" or so they say. IF you opted for the 5" rear coils I think you would end up with a stinkbug stance .. a nose down attitude, and that my friend, on a 4x4 truck is simply wrong

Good luck in your pursuits. I'm sure others will be interested to see how you made out circumnavigating the air ride once you report back with your findings.

Cheers

* 2014 RAM Sport CC* BDS 6" Suspension* Fox 2.5 Coil-over front * Fox 2.0 rear & Pro-Ride 3" coil* 3.92 Gearing* Fuel hostages in 20x9 +1
37x12.5R20 Pro Comp Xtreme MT2
* Diablo Sport Trinity T1000 * Cabin Air Filter
* ARH LT headers * Magnaflow catback/5" tips * 87mm Ported TB * Moroso Polished Catch Can*_QTP_electric_cutout_&_3"_turn_down * Legmaker Short Ram * S&B custom filter * Outerwears Pre-filter * Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau

Old 11-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1990
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

As far as I know the BDS Coil over kit is the only option to lift a truck with air suspension. That being said, it is a great kit and you won't be disappointed with it. Because you'll have coil overs on the front you'll be able to adjust the height quite easily in order to make the truck sit level. If you get the 5" rear springs you're going to need more like 7.5" of lift on the front of the truck in order to make it sit level.

I'm not sure what is all required to disable the air suspension when swapping over to the BDS kit... I know the guys at Bully's Performance have sold a few coil over kits to guys with air suspension already. I would talk to them to find out some more information just so you know exactly what you're getting in to and what's going to be required to make everything work. Send them an email at sales@bullysperformance.com and ask for Jeremiah.

Changing gears on a '12+ Ram is not an easy task.... nor is it cheap. You can't change gears on the front diff because they are welded to the carrier. So you will need a front diff from an 09-11 Ram 1500. It will then need to be machined to allow for the larger gears, obviously you will need the ring and pinion kits (front and back) and then install. Overall you're probably looking at around $3700 to get it done. Since you're in the Netherlands, I could definitely see it being a whole lot more since shops that can do that work are probably more scarce.

Just out of curiosity, what offset are the wheels you ordered?

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 11-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Hello fellow RAMmers,

Regarding the factory airsuspension i've found a work-around to keep the truck in the desired mode. I posted the workaround in another thread: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=158065

Since I decided to remove the factory airsuspension altogether these are my findings so far:

Regarding the liftkit: As someone suggested I tried to get a quote from Bullies Performance for the BDS 6'' coilover kit, I mailed and called several times but never received a quote. Finally the international sales department of BDS helped me out, great service!! the kit should be here next week.

Regarding the gears, i'm lucky I have a 3.92 rear, I would like to fit a 4.56 but as BRANDONJANSSEN mentioned that is to much hassle especially since I live in Europe,
I just hope the truck will not become to doggy.....

tires and wheels are on the way per shipping container, should arrive in 2 weeks...
BRANDON the wheels are +25 offset, so I have to work with spacers front and back, I will order the spacers once everything is here so I can measure the exact size I need...
I will order hub and wheel centric spacers at motorsport tech, I ordered there before and their spacers are perfect!

I hope I can bolt everything together before the end of the year...

met de vriendelijke groeten,
L.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Sweet! Thanks for posting that link for the air suspension. I'm sure a lot of guys would be happy to try that out.

With the 3.92's it shouldn't be too bad at all. Especially because you have the 8-speed transmission (I'm assuming). Another user on the forum, chadster21, has been running 37's with 3.92's and a 6-speed and he actually gets pretty good mileage and says it doesn't bog down too much. With the lower gear ratios in the 8 speed you should be even better.

Oh okay... Well I'm glad you know you're going to need spacers. lol. When I read the +25 I though to myself "Oh crap.... this isn't going to work". I'm thinking you'll need at least 1.5" spacers but probably something closer to 2".

Looking forward to seeing all this coming together! Especially since you're in the Netherlands. I'm sure you don't see many trucks like yours will be out there. When I was in Europe a few years ago I don't think I saw one full size pickup anywhere. Especially in a city like Amsterdam or Paris.

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Old 11-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Hello Brandon,

I have the 3.92 rear... but the 6 speed transmission... I'll see what happens...

Yes +25!! I really hope it works out with the spacers, but I really like that wheel!!,
Fuel doesn't make the 2-piece version of the Maverick anymore (that was the same wheel wit -13 offset) these are the exact wheels and tires I ordered on a 2500:
http://www.fueloffroad.com/article.c...-by-good-roads It's my rawmodel...

Full-size pickups are indeed rare here, lifted ones almost non existant, one of the reasons is the fuel price: € 1,85 per liter, that is approx $9.40/gal. I don't know what the feul price in the US is, but I geuss it's less.

best,
L.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Oh okay. I assumed a '13 Laramie would have an 8 speed in it for sure. Either way I think you'll probably be okay with the 6 speed. Like I said, that's what chadster12 is running and he has no complaints.

As long as you can get big enough spacers you should be good to go. It's a little risky running a spacer that big IMO though. But I'm assuming you aren't going to be doing too much offroading with the truck so you should be okay.

WOW! And I thought fuel prices here in Canada were bad! In Vancouver, BC gas is about $1.30/liter right now which works out to about €0.92/liter. Since I live right on the US/Canada border I fill up in the states (with diesel obviously) but gas prices down there are about $3.13/gal right now which works out to about €0.61/liter. However these are the lowest fuel prices we've seen over here in about 3-4 years.