DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-07-2013, 03:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1998 dodge ram
Trim Level: gone
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:47
TEDD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy120 View Post
this truck is freaking awesome man!! ever thot about doing top truck challenge or ultimate adventure? i want to build a similar truck like this for both of those competitions.
Thanks man, I'm not competitive enough for TTC but I'd love to do ultimate adventure. I live on Guam though and don't have the flow to ship my rig back stateside. On a side note, I mounted my hi lift and now have onboard air, I'll post pics soon. I haven't had a day off in almost 2 months so I haven't built my anti wrap bar but I will soon. I'll update later, thanks for the positive comments.

Last edited by TEDD; 11-07-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Anti wrap bar fabbed up and tacked together, just need time to weld it all up.

Air tank and hi-lift mounted.

Anti wrap bar pics

Material is 2" .25 wall DOM

I'm gonna also weld it to my axle truss so no spinning axle tubes here.

Last edited by TEDD; 11-24-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Color: Blue
Rep:139
tminor will become famous soon enoughtminor will become famous soon enough

This thread is awesome! Good luck to you and white knuckle on your rigs--and keep the pics coming!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tminor View Post
This thread is awesome! Good luck to you and white knuckle on your rigs--and keep the pics coming!
Thanks Minor!
Well, I've got another issue now. I did a compression test on my motor the other day and I've got 2 low cylinders (70,120). So I've decided to do a rebuild with a few performance parts (cam, pistons, tuner). I hope I don't have cracked heads cuz that would kill my budget. I'm waiting on a response from Hughes but I'm hoping to get everything for around 2 g's (my wife's gonna kill me). Still waiting for some time off from work to finish my anti wrap bar. When that's done I'll start on my engine project. I don't know if I should post pics of the rebuild here or start another thread (sorry, I know I've strayed so far from my original exo thread). I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again for all the positive comments.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:20 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:254
Bigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by double0ram View Post
OK so pardon this stupid off topic question... but I see you covered the license plate up? does that mean you drive this beast on the road lol?
ok this may be a stupid question but why do people cover up their license plate on their pics? ive seen some do and some dont... cant think of anything that somebody could steal your license plate number for lol can somebody inform me on this? and do i need to start covering up my plate?

*Bedliner paint job, leveling kit, 3'' body lift, 17'' eagle alloy rims series 197, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires, S&B cold air intake, 52mm ported and bored throttle body, Superchips 3865 programmer
Old 12-02-2013, 11:42 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Ram ORE 4x4 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
Wh1t3nukle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDD View Post
Thanks Minor!
Well, I've got another issue now. I did a compression test on my motor the other day and I've got 2 low cylinders (70,120). So I've decided to do a rebuild with a few performance parts (cam, pistons, tuner). I hope I don't have cracked heads cuz that would kill my budget. I'm waiting on a response from Hughes but I'm hoping to get everything for around 2 g's (my wife's gonna kill me). Still waiting for some time off from work to finish my anti wrap bar. When that's done I'll start on my engine project. I don't know if I should post pics of the rebuild here or start another thread (sorry, I know I've strayed so far from my original exo thread). I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again for all the positive comments.
Nice updates big guy!

There is definitely some good info out there on rebuilds. I can offer what I've done to mine, if that helps any on your thoughts. I'll look for a new thread, if you do that. For the heads, you might be fortunate in no cracks, especially if you've never noticed any coolant lose.... Lots of times they are cracked and they open up when they are taken off due to relieving the load holding them closed. The rebuild can go all sorts of ways, including adding in a good local machinist that might help out on pricing.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:54 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Color: Blue
Rep:139
tminor will become famous soon enoughtminor will become famous soon enough

So what's the deal man, any updates or what!?
Old 12-19-2013, 03:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tminor View Post
So what's the deal man, any updates or what!?
Sorry no real big updates, I haven't had any days off in the last couple weeks and it doesn't look like I'll get any time off till next year. I was able to finish welding up my anti wrap bar, cross member, exhaust, and limit strap tabs on the front axle.

Finally installed my limit strap on the front axle.

Cross member and shackle angle.

I had to shorten my exhaust 2 feet to fit the bar in.

Soft Alcan springs going negative when checking if the anti wrap bar limited my suspension travel (it didn't).

Sorry for the poser pics but I haven't had time to wheel and I wanted to check the travel on the rear after the anti wrap bar.

The R.T.I. rock in my back yard is about 4 feet tall and you can see I'm nowhere near maxing out my suspension in the rear.

Last edited by TEDD; 12-19-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I forgot to mention that I ordered some engine parts. Blew my budget of course (the wife actually took it pretty well) but I think I got everything I wanted. I ordered a set of loaded Hughes iron ram heads, a 214,218 at 110 lsa cam (she's gonna rock a little at idle), a tuner, a plenum plate, bearings, rings and gaskets. I'm sure I missed some other boring parts but I think you get the idea of where I'm going with the engine. When I get some time off I'll update later. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by TEDD; 12-19-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1t3nukle View Post
Nice updates big guy!

There is definitely some good info out there on rebuilds. I can offer what I've done to mine, if that helps any on your thoughts. I'll look for a new thread, if you do that. For the heads, you might be fortunate in no cracks, especially if you've never noticed any coolant lose.... Lots of times they are cracked and they open up when they are taken off due to relieving the load holding them closed. The rebuild can go all sorts of ways, including adding in a good local machinist that might help out on pricing.
Sorry Wh1t3nukle just saw your post, yeah unfortunately our heads are prone to cracking in between the valves just like the old Chevy 350 heads and I hate having to stop half way through a rebuild to wait for parts (I live on Guam so waiting for parts sucks). We have a couple machine shops out here but I'm not to keen on trusting them to bore out my block so I'm hoping that the ridges aren't to bad (130k miles)but we'll see when I pull it apart. Part of my job at work is to maintain and rebuild all the diesel motors and drives in the boats I drive so I have a bit of experience mechanically speaking so I'm comfortable doing this kind of thing. Unfortunately the biggest hindrance for me is time. Thank you for your input it's always appreciated.